HomeGroupsTalkZeitgeist
Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day) Thar be a hunt for treasure, Mateys!
This site uses cookies to deliver our services, improve performance, for analytics, and (if not signed in) for advertising. By using LibraryThing you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your use of the site and services is subject to these policies and terms.
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

What We Talk About When We Talk About Love…
Loading...

What We Talk About When We Talk About Love (1981)

by Raymond Carver

Other authors: See the other authors section.

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingMentions
2,849472,915 (4.17)64
  1. 30
    Beginners by Raymond Carver (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: "Beginners" is the version Carver submitted to his editor, Gordon Lish, under the author's title. Lish made significant cuts, changed character's names and removed dialogue to produce the version that made Carver's name: "What We Talk About When We Talk About Love".… (more)
  2. 10
    The Lottery and Other Stories by Shirley Jackson (whitewavedarling)
    whitewavedarling: Similar styles and character types, though Jackson's stories are a bit more developed in regard to character and plot. Both authors have a tendency of working toward endings that leave a reader making final decisions instead of tying everything up fully with a more traditional ending.… (more)
  3. 00
    Lettipark: Erzählungen by Judith Hermann (JuliaMaria)
    JuliaMaria: Jedes Wort zählt.
  4. 00
    Sleepwalk: and Other Stories by Adrian Tomine (bsbllbsbll)
    bsbllbsbll: Tomine captures Carver's immense talent for creating intense emotions in short spaces.
Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

No current Talk conversations about this book.

» See also 64 mentions

English (46)  Spanish (1)  All languages (47)
Showing 1-5 of 46 (next | show all)
A friend gave this book to me as a gift after we watched BIRDMAN in theaters a few years ago. I hadn't read anything by Raymond Carver before (and hadn't heard of him until I saw the movie), but my friend is a huge fan. This is the second time I've read through the book, and since I knew more of what to expect, I appreciated it more. The stories are often depressing, often dealing with screwed-up people with personal and familial problems. I can't say I can relate to these characters, but I imagine that there's a large subset of American society that can. Two of the stories - "Tell the Women We're Going" and "Popular Mechanics" - had such horrific endings, my hair stood up.

Mr. Carver's writing is deceptively simple, lacking complex vocabulary. If its themes and subtexts weren't so mature, I'd almost suggest that it be a candidate for a "high-low" book, meaning that its reading level is low but it's still appropriate for older readers.

5 stars. ( )
1 vote Sylvester_Olson | Jul 1, 2018 |
What We Talk About When We Talk About Love es una interesante recopilación de cuentos cortos escritos por Raymond Carver y publicado por primera vez en el 1981.

Tuve conocimiento de la obra gracias a una película que reseñé algunas semanas atrás, Stuck In Love, donde la mencionan de paso y extraen una memorable cita:

"I could hear my heart beating. I could hear everyone's heart. I could hear the human noise we sat there making, not one of us moving, not even when the room went dark."

El nombre de la obra es el título de uno de los relatos que encierra las páginas del libro. Son 17 cuentos en total y cada uno presenta una perspectiva diferente de lo que es el amor.

Y no me entiendan mal, no es un libro "rosado"; es un libro bastante real, con los 'pies sobre la tierra', con personajes que pueden ser tus vecinos, tu familia o tú mismo.

Son muchísimos los temas que guarda dentro este conocido libro: Amor, odio, comunicación (o la falta de ella), celos, identidad, separación, lucha, crimen, conflicto, control, aceptación, separación, el 'dejar ir' y el 'seguir adelante', miedo, inseguridad, cambio, alcoholismo, enfermedad, conexión, duda, abandono, sufrimiento, pérdida, arrepentimiento, unión, violencia, opinión y creo que podría seguir.

"Gazebo", "Sacks", "Popular Mechanics", "Tell the Women We're Going", "A Serious Talk" y "What We Talk About When We Talk About Love" fueron mis predilectas.
No soy un experto en alcohol, pero creo que What We Talk About When We Talk About Love es una obra que precisa consumirse de manera lenta y pausada, como un buen whiskey, como un buen vino.

Un punto negativo es que los cuentos parecen no tener inicio y/o fin. Me gustaría compararlo con 'darle a play' a una escena de una película que ya estaba empezada y 'darle a stop' seguido acabe la escena.
La mayoría de los cuentos se sienten así. Sin principio/Sin desenlace. Es algo que quizás cueste acostumbrarse al principio... Pero son 17 relatos, eventualmente uno se acostumbra.

El estilo de escribir de Raymond Carver es simple y a la vez exquisito, unos dirán que es minimalista y sí, sus relatos son muy cortos, pero dudo de ese sustantivo por la riqueza de detalles y lo fluido de sus diálogos, más tomando en cuenta lo conciso de sus cuentos.

What We Talk About When We Talk About Love ha inspirado a bandas musicales (Old 97's, Deus), a autores (Haruki Murakami, Nathan Englander, Rob Bell) y de algunos relatos de este libro se han hecho cortometrajes.

Estamos en pleno 2014 y este libro se publicó en 1981... Con más de 30 años de diferencia, esta obra aún mantiene calidad.
Lo recomiendo. ( )
  JorgeLC | Apr 28, 2018 |
Breathtakingly good. I found it hard to keep reading at times because the emotional impact of the stories was so intense. Technically speaking Carver is truly a master of understatement and really, really tight writing. I mainly picked this up because Murakami lists him as an inspiration, and I can definitely see the influence on his style. So glad I read this! ( )
1 vote alchemie | Apr 2, 2018 |
.
  rosechimera | Mar 16, 2018 |
.
  rosechimera | Mar 16, 2018 |
Showing 1-5 of 46 (next | show all)
no reviews | add a review

» Add other authors (4 possible)

Author nameRoleType of authorWork?Status
Raymond Carverprimary authorall editionscalculated
Duranti, RiccardoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Frielinghaus, HelmutTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gustafsson, KerstinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mattila, RaijaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Puławski, KrzysztofTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Udina, DolorsTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zulaika Goicoechea, JesúsTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zulaika, JesúsTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is a retelling of

Is expanded in

You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Original title
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
Dedication
For Tess Gallagher
First words
(From Why Don't You Dance?) In the kitchen, he poured another drink and looked at the bedroom suite in his front yard.
Quotations
Last words
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
Disambiguation notice
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Publisher series
Original language
Canonical DDC/MDS

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English

None

Book description
Haiku summary

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679723056, Paperback)

"What We Talk About When We Talk About Love" is not only the most well-known short story title of the latter part of the 20th century; it has come to stand for an entire aesthetic, the bare-bones prose style for which Raymond Carver became famous. Perhaps, it could be argued, too famous, at least for his fiction's own good. Like those of Hemingway or any other writer similarly loved, imitated, parodied, and reviled, these stories can sometimes produce the sense of reading pastiche. "A man without hands came to the door to sell me a photograph of my house." "That morning she pours Teacher's over my belly and licks it off. That afternoon she tries to jump out the window." "My friend Mel McGinnis was talking. Mel is a cardiologist, and sometimes that gives him the right." What other writer ever produced first sentences like these? They are like doors into Carverworld, where everyone speaks in simple declarative phrases, no one ever stops at one beer, and failure or violence are the true outcomes of the American dream.

Yet these stories bear careful re-reading, like any truly important and enduring work. For one thing, Carver is one of the few writers who can make desperation--cutting your ex-wife's telephone cord in the middle of a conversation, standing on your own roof chunking rocks while a man with no hands takes your picture--deeply funny. Then there is the sheer craft that went into their creation. Despite their seeming simplicity, his tales are as artfully constructed as poems--and like poems, the best of them can make your breath catch in your throat. In the title piece, for instance, after the gin has been drunk, after the stories have been told, after the tensions in the room have come to the surface and subsided again, there comes a moment of strange lightness and peace: "I could hear my heart beating. I could hear everyone's heart. I could hear the human noise we sat there making, not one of us moving, not even when the room went dark."

Much of what happens in What We Talk About When We Talk About Love (1981) happens offstage, and we're left with tragedy's props: booze, instant coffee, furniture from a failed marriage, cigarettes smoked in the middle of the night. This is not merely a matter of technique. Carver leaves out a great deal, but that's only a measure of his characters' vulnerability, the nerve endings his stories lay bare. To say anything more, one feels, would simply hurt too much. --Mary Park

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:15 -0400)

(see all 3 descriptions)

Stories feature men and women without education, insight, or prospects, who, ironically, are too unimaginative to ever give up.

» see all 4 descriptions

Quick Links

Popular covers

Rating

Average: (4.17)
0.5 1
1 3
1.5 1
2 24
2.5 5
3 77
3.5 23
4 236
4.5 32
5 254

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

 

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,816,719 books! | Top bar: Always visible