Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Never Buried by Edie Claire

Never Buried (1999)

by Edie Claire

Eh. Not bad, but it took me 3/4 of the book to get interested - mostly because I don't really like any of the characters. There's a lot of backstory we aren't given (relatives and friends and enemies, all with established relationships that we only get the current endpoints of), which means I spent a lot of the story watching strong reactions to mild actions and feeling disconnected (why is she so obsessed with the psychic poodle? the owner mentions it once, the protagonist mentions it (to the reader) at least 4-5 times). It's more realistic, but I'll take fiction style, please (I spend enough time trying to figure out what's going on and why in the real world). The mystery is unpleasant and the solution is even more unpleasant. There's a happy ending (not a romance), which leads directly into "why you should read the next book"...I don't think I will. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | May 30, 2018 |
I thoroughly enjoyed Never Buried. Leigh and her cousin Cara were a wonderful pair of ( dare I call them) heroines.
Cara is having a tough pregnancy, so Leigh decides to move in and help. The next morning she finds a corpse in the hammock out back. It is the previous owner who has been dead for 10 years. The girls figure, why not play detective and figure out who he is and why he was left there. The laughs never stops. Leigh's mother ,best friend Maura, and school mate Warren all bring their own fun to the story. Along with Cara's neighbor Adith.
The body isn't the only mystery to solve in the book, I won't reveal the other you can read the book to discover that. I was slightly surprised at who the culprit was.
Growing up in the Pittsburgh area, I could relate to the backdrop of the story. I've been to The Point, Neville Island, and The Beaver Medical Center.

I recommend this book to anyone who like a good mystery and a laugh. ( )
  pamkaye | Aug 16, 2016 |
This was a good clean read. However, I'm only giving it three stars because it doesn't really give me the desire to keep it. I have no desire to gush about it or anything. I'm just...okay with it. ( )
  caslater83 | Aug 4, 2016 |
Lightweight, fun mystery. There's a pretty good story here, a bit of humor, and some local color to make it a pleasant way to pass the time. The characters could have been more developed. ( )
  bohemima | Mar 30, 2016 |
Nice enjoyable cozy mystery ( )
  nospi | Feb 7, 2016 |
For my friends at Ingomar United Methodist Church
The sounds filtered through Leigh's sleeping brain, nagging her into consciousness.

Advertising copywriter Leigh Koslow doesn't pack heat---just a few extra pounds. And she doesn't go looking for trouble. When she moved into her cousin Cara's refurbished Victorian house, she wasn't planning on discovering a corpse-certainly not one that had been embalmed ten years before. But as anyone in the small Pittsburgh borough of Avalon could tell her, her cousin's house has a history attached. A history dating back to two mysterious deaths in the summer of 1949. Someone wants Leigh and Cara out of the house---someone who has something to hide. But that someone doesn't know Leigh's impetuous cousin, and when Cara digs her heels in, Leigh looks to her old college chum, local policewoman Maura Polanski, for help. But the answers the trio find only point to more questions. Were the scandalous deaths of fifty years ago really an accident and a suicide? Or were they murder?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,479,067 books! | Top bar: Always visible