Audacious (Kris Longknife) by Mike Shepherd

Audacious (Kris Longknife) (edition 2007)

by Mike Shepherd

Info:Ace (2007), Mass Market Paperback, 373 pages
Collections:Audio Book, Your library
Tags:Science-Fiction

Kris Longknife: Audacious by Mike Shepherd

Recently added byKirkLowery, dsp501, private library, marag, ElectricPhase, TwilightBlue, ajtg, Bookstooge, papertygers

Typical military space opera, although not on the order of Weber's Honor Harrington series. The best part about this book (and the series) are the characters and their dialog. Good (not great) entertainment. ( )
  KirkLowery | Mar 4, 2014 |
Kris is embassied to another planet, and ends up saving it from a Peterwald invasion.

I am a bit tired of Shepherd emphasizing how tall, slim hipped, flat butted and flat chested Kris is. It is just annoying to be honest.

Other than that, this was a good rousing, blood soaked tale of action and adventure. ( )
  Bookstooge | Sep 26, 2013 |
Military SF,Princess
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
In the fifth book in this military science fiction space opera, Kris Longknife is sent to New Eden, an older established planet closer to Earth. On paper, Kris' job is to order office supplies. But her great-grandfather, King Ray of the United Senitents has other ideas. But stopping a Peterwald coup does not stop a revolution that changes the government from an de facto oligarchy to a true democracy. Unlike the other novels in this series, all the action takes place on land without the naval battle. It is the Marines turn to shine. ( )
  ktoonen | Jul 20, 2009 |
Well, Kris is starting to get formulaic. She's built her team around her (the first few books were about the various people joining her), the overall threat is established...in this one, just like the last, she gets into a running fight (this one in the first pages!), argues with authorities who don't think she's in as much danger as she thinks she is, goes round-about with a plan to solve the problem, which is bigger than her danger...It's not bad, but unless there are some real developments in the next one I think I'll stop buying. Still read, probably, but my interest went way downhill with this. Oh yeah, and I just discovered that all those references to her grandparents' (g'grandparents?) adventures are books, written under a different name (Mike Moscoe, not Mike Shepherd). Want to get those and see how they are.
Huh. On a reread, I find I already got what I was asking for above. Kris grew up in this one. Her team is built, she knows what she wants - not to be a pawn, or even a queen, but to determine her own actions with all available information. The next book _should_ be that something different I asked for, The other odd thing is that I didn't remember large chunks of the story. I remember bits of it throughout, including the meeting at the end, but there's a lot of important bits I'd completely forgotten (as in, I kept saying that I hadn't finished the book because I didn't know this part - then I'd come across a familiar scene. Very odd). ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Jan 21, 2008 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441015417, Mass Market Paperback)

You can't keep a good woman down-Kris Longknife returns.

Once again Kris finds herself caught in the crosshairs of unknown enemies who want her dead. Factions, both legitimate and underground, vie for control of the planet New Eden. And someone is taking advantage of the chaos to unleash a personal vendetta against Kris.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:52 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,493,819 books! | Top bar: Always visible