New Pathways for Sock Knitters: Book One by…

New Pathways for Sock Knitters: Book One

by Cat Bordhi

Projects: Sky architecture: Charlie's seeded heart socks, Bartholomew's tantalizing socks, Robin Hood's fireside boots (elf toe option), master sky, cedar architecture: Max's springy ring socks, veil of leaves, cedar dancing socks, ocean-toes, slipstitch rings, master cedar, coriolis architecture: Charlie's dragon socks, Tibetan coriolis, master coriolis, foxglove architecture: Marcelo's seven-league boots, simple socks with a slant, bubble trails, fountain foxgloves, master foxglove, upstream architecture: Etta Mae's bootikins, philosopher's house socks, dove socks, milkmaid's stockings, master upstream, riverbed architecture: rushing rivulet, Margaret Rowan's silken slippers, clematis vine, cables & corrugations, master riverbed, ridgeline architecture: home & hearth eyelet anklets, Charlie's wiggle socks, soft-hearted socks, woven ridge, master ridgeline, sidestream architecture: Charlie's sheriff boat socks, sunrise socks, jeweled steps, master sidestream.… (more)

NEW PATHWAYS ignites a bright new era for sock knitters everywhere! - knit the 2 little learning socks, and you re ready for 8 new styles of sock architecture -- over 400 colorful illustrations and photos -- your choice of dpn s, 2 circs, or 1 long circ -- 28 unique patterns, with 8 for babies -- 8 Master Patterns - 1 for each architectural style -- Master Pattern sizing for infants to large men, in 11 gauges -- custom-fit feet of all shapes and sizes Worked in pure stockinette, each style is so elegant you may never wish for more. But if you want to play, the possibilities are infinite: -- let hand-painted yarns spill their colors along new and artful pathways -- harmonize the rhythms of familiar stitch patterns with the book s universal formula, and see the familiar reborn with a new and beautiful look -- combine architectures for infinite hybrid forms, or be the first to try something brand new ( )
  RochesterKnittingGui | Apr 10, 2016 |
A book filled with good, clear tips on customizing the design and fit of socks. A few of the cuff techniques provide more excitement than they're worth, but Bordhi has a playful taste in patterns and it's overall a good resource for sock knitters. ( )
  eaterofwords | Nov 16, 2014 |
Interesting modifications to foot shaping! Reasonably well written, author tends to folksy and whimsical tales illustrating points where my preference is in the style of 'just the facts'. Really like the concept of reducing the foot to a series of reliable, standardized measurements. I can make no sense of the drawings indicating which needle is going in which direction. Would like to take a class from this writer to get clarification on that point. ( )
  mvrdrk | Jun 24, 2010 |
I love this book. I typically always have some pattern 'on the needles' from this book. ( )
  m01ollie | Oct 19, 2009 |
I love knitting socks, but find it difficult to knit ones for myself that fit just right (most sock patterns are written for a much smaller foot than I happen to have). A friend recommended New Pathways for Sock Knitters because of Bordhi's innovative construction ideas and because she offers master patterns that you can customize to fit your foot perfectly.

In addition to the master patterns, Bordhi provides a number of different variations, both practical and whimsical. There's enough in this book to keep any sock knitter busy for quite some time.

I recently knit "Bartholomew's Tantalizing Socks". The pattern follows Bordhi's "Sky Sock Architecture" and is knit from the top down with increases over the arch (along the edge of the decorative stitch pattern). It uses a linen-stitch to play up the color changes in hand-painted yarn and has a sexy slit cuff.

The socks were a gift. I trusted the pattern and they ended up fitting perfectly (photo).

I'm definitely going to knit myself a pair of these socks. I loved everything about the project. I'm really interested in the Coriolis architecture (it has a wonderful spiral feature) so I'll probably attempt one of those patterns on my next foray into sock innovation.

More specifics at morsie reads. ( )
  morsecode | Feb 4, 2009 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,396,949 books! | Top bar: Always visible