Callahan's Crosstime Saloon by Spider…

Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977)

by Spider Robinson

Series: Callahan's (1)

1,182259,838 (4)48
Recently added byprivate library, Kupyer, caess, shadrachanki, abrill, LindaWeeks
    A Night in the Lonesome October by Roger Zelazny (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Odd characters caught up in odd happenings as told by master storytellers.

The first book felt a little dated and had a few too many puns for me. Having said that there were some genuinely funny and touching moments. I will be reading the next book. When it was good for me, it was really good. I can put up with a few more puns. ( )
  CSDaley | Mar 28, 2018 |
This slim book is a little burst of joy. Somewhat deceptively sold as sci-fi, this is a collection of short stories that all take place at Callahan's, a Long Island bar where people come to talk about their problems, and people listen. That's really it; it just so happens that a some (but not all) of the people who walk in have some weird problems. There's aliens who have been sent to destroy Earth but don't really want to, but also a Vietnam vet who found he liked killing a little too much. These stories are all about empathy, putting you in somebody else's shoes. They're simple and effective. And despite some of the things that occasionally come up in these stories, they're really comforting. A warm hug from a good friend.

Beware the puns. ( )
  redhopper | Dec 2, 2017 |
I confess that I am a fan of Spider Robinson's work. He has a wonderful imagination and a sure writing style. Callahan's is a bar where you might find anyone or anything. This collection of stories shows him at his best. ( )
  gypsysmom | Aug 17, 2017 |
Callahan's Place is a bar, and yet so much more. It's a place you find when you're down on your luck and world has been giving you the once-over. The owner/bartender and the regulars will listen to your troubles (provided that you follow the rules), and bend over backwards to any man (or woman) (or alien) that admits their faults and seeks to do right by those they've harmed. Puns abound and not even the local doctor is above taking a well-aimed oneliner out for a zing or two.

The book is a reprinting of several stories that appeared in magazine for over several years when the author was writing for hire. The stories are very human - full of insight and wit. I was really quite impressed with the author's ability to turn a good tale. ( )
  helver | Aug 3, 2017 |
I remember this this book back when I was introduced to Spider Robinson back in college. At that time Callahan's Cross-Time Saloon, Shogun and Asimov's Foundation trilogy were my favorites.

Well, Spider's tales are not up there with those great writers. In fact the stories are pretty strange, enlightening and give a lesson at the end. Even now in my reread, the lessons seem a bit trite. But I am getting ahead of myself.

First published as a collection in the 70s, Robinson's bar joint with its misfit clients came to life between the covers of Analog Magazine. And though more fantasy than science fiction, makes for some interesting reading.

These nine stories always start with some pretty crazy characters. The narrator is Jake; the barkeep is Callahan and whoever walks into that bar usually has a story to tell as we say a toast and crash our glassware into the fireplace!

Callahan is a tough Irish barman, but he meets his match when he hears the story of a man who lost his wife and was locked away, forgotten, in a South American prison cell for over ten years. Or an alien who has been assigned to recommend annihilation of the human race! Or another, who was once Adolph Hitler (could Callahan forgive that?!). And a woman who has lived over 200 years and has a death wish; interesting solution to that problem. Or a time traveler who wants to stop a certain tragedy and would the boys in the bar help him out?

And the puns in this book are just horrible! And a few philosophical lines like "joy always equals pain in the long-run" are a bit beyond my understanding but what the heck - it's a Spider story!

Because the stories were written in the 70s, references to Vietnam and Nixon are evident. Despite these dated situations, you should have a great time visiting Callahan's Cross-Time Saloon, meet a few wild and crazy people and throw your glass half-full of Bushmill's Brew as you tell a tall tale.

Recommended.

Spider Robinsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bova, BenIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Di Fate, Vincent, 1945-Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Warhola, JamesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"There is nothing which has been contrived by man by which so much happiness has been produced as by a good tavern or inn."
-Samuel Johnson
To Ben Bova
Callahan's Place was pretty lively that night.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812572270, Mass Market Paperback)

Callahan's Place is the neighborhood tavern to all of time and space, where the regulars are anything but. Pull up a chair, grab a glass of your favorite, and listen to the stories spun by time travelers, cybernetic aliens, telepaths...and a bunch of regular folks on a mission to save the world, one customer at a time.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:53 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,108,543 books! | Top bar: Always visible