Callahan's Crosstime Saloon by Spider…

Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (original 1977; edition 1999)

by Spider Robinson

1,020158,327 (4)34
Member:shrike10997
Title:Callahan's Crosstime Saloon
Authors:Spider Robinson
Info:Tor Science Fiction (1999), Paperback, 224 pages

Callahan's crosstime saloon by Spider Robinson (1977)

A Night in the Lonesome October by Roger Zelazny (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Odd characters caught up in odd happenings as told by master storytellers.

I remember this this book back when I was introduced to Spider Robinson back in college. At that time Callahan's Cross-Time Saloon, Shogun and Asimov's Foundation trilogy were my favorites.

Well, Spider's tales are not up there with those great writers. In fact the stories are pretty strange, enlightening and give a lesson at the end. Even now in my reread, the lessons seem a bit trite. But I am getting ahead of myself.

First published as a collection in the 70s, Robinson's bar joint with its misfit clients came to life between the covers of Analog Magazine. And though more fantasy than science fiction, makes for some interesting reading.

These nine stories always start with some pretty crazy characters. The narrator is Jake; the barkeep is Callahan and whoever walks into that bar usually has a story to tell as we say a toast and crash our glassware into the fireplace!

Callahan is a tough Irish barman, but he meets his match when he hears the story of a man who lost his wife and was locked away, forgotten, in a South American prison cell for over ten years. Or an alien who has been assigned to recommend annihilation of the human race! Or another, who was once Adolph Hitler (could Callahan forgive that?!). And a woman who has lived over 200 years and has a death wish; interesting solution to that problem. Or a time traveler who wants to stop a certain tragedy and would the boys in the bar help him out?

And the puns in this book are just horrible! And a few philosophical lines like "joy always equals pain in the long-run" are a bit beyond my understanding but what the heck - it's a Spider story!

Because the stories were written in the 70s, references to Vietnam and Nixon are evident. Despite these dated situations, you should have a great time visiting Callahan's Cross-Time Saloon, meet a few wild and crazy people and throw your glass half-full of Bushmill's Brew as you tell a tall tale.

Recommended.

Other Spider Books:

The Free Lunch
Very Hard Choices
The Callahan Chronicals
  jmourgos | Sep 12, 2014 |
An anthology of amusing stories, some of them really about time travel! ( )
  DinadansFriend | May 8, 2014 |
This is my second copy of the first Callahan's book. I wore out the first. I've said it before, but LT is an expensive place to hang out. I keep finding books that I didn't know I'd missed (Off the Wall at Callahan's), and have to find them, and add them in. From the back cover:

"You got troubles?"

"Toe up to the line, and make a toast (the toast is mandatory). Then smash your glass in the big fireplace. It only costs half a buck at Callahan's Place, and it sure can feel good."

I looked for that bar for years, but I never found it.

(Cover Art from clear signature on the front; the one I've chosen is very similar, but not identical, to mine.) ( )
  Lyndatrue | Dec 10, 2013 |
This short novel grew out of Robinson's stories for Analog magazine. For lighthearted science fiction with at least a small dose of science, its hard to beat. The characters are interesting and the situations are quirky. Well written and fun to read. ( )
  Karlstar | Jan 17, 2012 |
Great book! This is a collection of very original short stories with quirky themes that all happen in Callahan's Saloon. This saloon is an amazing place where everyone who enters is accepted - no matter how odd they might be, granted absolution if they are willing to repent, and helped. A quick read that left me believing in the goodness of people. I would definitely recommend this book! ( )
  SuzReads | May 3, 2011 |

Spider Robinsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bova, BenIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Di Fate, Vincent, 1945-Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812572270, Mass Market Paperback)

Callahan's Place is the neighborhood tavern to all of time and space, where the regulars are anything but. Pull up a chair, grab a glass of your favorite, and listen to the stories spun by time travelers, cybernetic aliens, telepaths...and a bunch of regular folks on a mission to save the world, one customer at a time.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:09 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,333,503 books! | Top bar: Always visible