Wake by Lisa McMann

Wake (2008)

by Lisa McMann

Series: Wake Trilogy (1)

Like not love. Interesting story, but I read it a while ago and I haven't stayed with the series to read the sequels. I liked the relationship between Janie and Cabel. Didn't find the writing style to be amazing. ( )
  Tigerlily12 | Jul 9, 2014 |
I really liked the depiction of the relationship between Janie and Cabel (read it awhile ago, may not have remembered those correctly). Wrapped up abruptly at the end but I will definitely be looking for the sequels. ( )
  ArmchairAuthor | Jul 3, 2014 |
A wonderful story, and such a fast read. I read this twice the first time and loved it both times. I would love to see this made into a movie. ( )
  camibrite | May 25, 2014 |

There's a fundamental problem in Wake that no plot device can overcome: the writing. When I read a book, I want to be involved in it. I want to be swept away by it, I want to drown in it. And then there's Wake with it's sparse third person narrative. It tells us actions, shows us nothing.

Janie falls in love with Cabe over the course of this book. We have no idea why. Is it maybe because of those giant Snickers bars? I'd fall in love with a person because of giant Snickers bars.

Wake haunts us with no emotions. You feel like you fell into a rabbit hole where there's no feeling. Plus several plot lines made me roll my eyes in earnest A fine agent Cabe is, if he's willing to throw everything away for a girl. And an even better Captain tells all to the girl to assuage her jealousy. Plus, it's really convenient that the Captain knows of Stubins. And even more convenient that they found the solution to Janie's problems in books.And that Stubins was around to show Janie that she could do something. How'd she go blind? Why was she in the Home? No one knows the answers because Janie doesn't care about anything other than herself. And how convenient that her mother springs to help when she's short of 20 dollars. A nice thing to do especially when you don't care even in the slightest about your daughter, either ways. .

The End.

P.S - I read this book twice, without realising it. The second time around I thought I didn't read it and found the premise interesting enough to chide myself and begin reading it again. Then I was caught in the vortex of No Feeling and there was no escape. It felt like one of Janie's dreams actually. ( )
  ashpapoye | Jan 24, 2014 |
A book that was really overhyped which effected how I enjoyed it. A decent book, but lacked explanation in a lot of parts. Would recommend it to entry level teen readers, but is a suspect recommendation to discerning readers ( )
  rdwhitenack | Jan 16, 2014 |

Lisa McMannprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Yuen, SammyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This one is for you,
Toots
To my amazing in-home cheerleaders, house cleaners, and editors--Matt, Kilian and Kennedy--you rock. There would be no Janie without your love, help, patience, and support.
Special thanks to Dr. Diane Blake Harper, my dear friend and Google-monkey; to Dr. Louis Catron for your kind, priceless critiques; to Ramon Collins for your years of support; and to Tricia, Chris, Erica, Greg, Dawn, Joe, David, Jen, Lisa, Andy, Matthew, Linda, Andie, and Ally for your generous assistance.
Finally, warmest gratitude to my fantastic agent, Michael Bourret, who believed in Janie and in me, and great praises for a most terrific team at Simon Pulse - Jennifer Klonsky, Caroline abbey, Michael del Rosario, and all the others who help make dreams come true.
Janie Hannagan's math book slips from her fingers.

For 17 year-old Janie Hannagan, getting sucked into other people's dreams is getting old. Especially the falling dreams. The naked but nobody notices dreams. And the sex-crazed teenager dreams. Janie's seen enough fantasy booty to last her a lifetime.

But then there are the nightmares that leave her blind and paralyzed in fear, even after the dreams are over. Those are the worst. Because one day, someone's going to notice her free-falling to the floor after somebody's study hall nap time nightmare, or collapsing outside a resident's room at the nursing home where she works. Or her worst fear: careening headlong into a tree if she ever drives past *that* house again.

She can't tell anybody about it. They'd never believe her. And she can't do anything to stop it. Until she gets to know Cabel Strumheller, a secretive, pothead flunkie turned pretty-boy. And he accidentally falls into a dream with her on the senior high bus trip to Stratford.

It's his own dream.
And it's a dream he'd rather no one knows about.
Especially Janie Hannagan.

Ever since she was eight years old, high school student Janie Hannagan has been uncontrollably drawn into other people's dreams, but it is not until she befriends an elderly nursing home patient and becomes involved with an enigmatic fellow-student that she discovers her true power.… (more)

Lisa McMann is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,311,094 books! | Top bar: Always visible