Wake by Lisa McMann

Wake (2008)

by Lisa McMann

Series: Wake Trilogy (1)

2,1991602,949 (3.74)117

This story was written a little different, it reminded me of reading a timeline or someone's diary. I enjoyed the story line, the characters were very like able and had me rooting for them. It picked up really well about half way and captivated me from that point on. I'm looking forward to reading the next book FADE that I'm starting today. ( )
  stevealtier | Sep 3, 2015 |
No-recomendado por Mel.

Me propongo leer de principio a fin libros considerados "malos". Mi intención es encontrar al menos UNA cualidad buena en ellos y reseñarlos objetivamente siguiendo 20 puntos a desarrollar brevemente. (Los puntos varían según el género del que se trate.)

Si tienen ganas de No-recomendarme otros libros
pueden comentar acá o ACÁ. ¡Cualquier género es bienvenido! Cuanto más variado, mejor :)
  LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
Dear Readers,

Wake, the first story in the Dream Catcher series, follows the story of seventeen-year-old Janie whom has an ordinary name, but lives a life far from ordinary. Most seventeen-year-olds worry about things like boys and popularity, but Janie worries she’ll fall asleep in a room with other people in it, and wake up trapped in another person’s dream. Yeah, it’s a weird thing to worry about . . . if you’re not Janie.

The first time I read Wake I was probably around eleven or twelve, in the sixth grade. I picked up a copy from the public library I had quickly become obsessed with the summer of my sixth grade year. It wasn’t long before I fell completely, head-over-heels in love with the story, and I was excited to read more. Back then it was a LOT easier to love a book – I didn’t know much about grammar, I just knew I really liked this story.

Unfortunately for Wake ­and my old sixth grade memories, I know a little more about grammar than I did when I first thumbed through the book (if this review is riddled with grammatical errors… I said “a little”) and it was filled with incomplete sentences, spelling errors, and bland simple sentences (which are even worse than incomplete sentences!). These nuisances were all I could concentrate on for the first few chapters. And while the story became more interesting towards the middle of the book, the grammatical errors were a problem up to the last page.

Even though I’m skeptical this book received any professional editing whatsoever, I did wind up enjoying the story. I especially enjoyed the “flashbacks” into Janie’s past that shows us events like the first time Janie became trapped in a dream (what an age to be trapped in a middle-aged man’s nightmare! YUCK!) and her first slumber party. They might be a typical and simple way to bring the past into a story, but I felt like it was one thing that worked for Wake.

The story became even more enjoying when Cabe enters the picture, especially when I realized he had his own little story within the book. It gave Wake a much-needed plot twist that ultimately kept me hooked until the end.

This book may have an intriguing premise that kept me from putting the book down, but it needs a lot of work to be truly engaging. The noteworthy publication house denotes professional editing, but the grammar reads self-edited. I have recently ordered a copy of the next book in the series, and I’m pleading with the gods of literature that McMann learns how to edit. If the grammar hasn’t improved, I will probably resort to sending the author a strongly worded email on her horribly inconvenient grammar.

Warning: This story involves much crying, miscommunication for an actual reason, catty jealousy from a secretly lesbian cheerleader, high school bullying, and lousy best friends. If these themes don’t work for you, don’t pick up a copy!

– One Curvy Blogger

PS. Gold star to those who catch my TBBT references! I freaking love that show. :D ( )
  One_Curvy_Blogger | Jan 7, 2015 |
I found the spare prose and intriguing premise to make this a quick read, but it wasn't quite for my tastes (perhaps a bit too edgy?).
  devafagan | Jan 2, 2015 |
This book was outstanding! The story line was great and so was the description of things in the story. 4Q4P The cover art is okay and I'd recommend this book to middle and high school students. I chose to read this book because the cover looked interesting and the summary on the back of the book caught my attention. KaitlynD
  edspicer | Dec 30, 2014 |

Lisa McMannprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Yuen, SammyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This one is for you,
To my amazing in-home cheerleaders, house cleaners, and editors--Matt, Kilian and Kennedy--you rock. There would be no Janie without your love, help, patience, and support.
Special thanks to Dr. Diane Blake Harper, my dear friend and Google-monkey; to Dr. Louis Catron for your kind, priceless critiques; to Ramon Collins for your years of support; and to Tricia, Chris, Erica, Greg, Dawn, Joe, David, Jen, Lisa, Andy, Matthew, Linda, Andie, and Ally for your generous assistance.
Finally, warmest gratitude to my fantastic agent, Michael Bourret, who believed in Janie and in me, and great praises for a most terrific team at Simon Pulse - Jennifer Klonsky, Caroline abbey, Michael del Rosario, and all the others who help make dreams come true.
Janie Hannagan's math book slips from her fingers.

For 17 year-old Janie Hannagan, getting sucked into other people's dreams is getting old. Especially the falling dreams. The naked but nobody notices dreams. And the sex-crazed teenager dreams. Janie's seen enough fantasy booty to last her a lifetime.

But then there are the nightmares that leave her blind and paralyzed in fear, even after the dreams are over. Those are the worst. Because one day, someone's going to notice her free-falling to the floor after somebody's study hall nap time nightmare, or collapsing outside a resident's room at the nursing home where she works. Or her worst fear: careening headlong into a tree if she ever drives past *that* house again.

She can't tell anybody about it. They'd never believe her. And she can't do anything to stop it. Until she gets to know Cabel Strumheller, a secretive, pothead flunkie turned pretty-boy. And he accidentally falls into a dream with her on the senior high bus trip to Stratford.

It's his own dream.
And it's a dream he'd rather no one knows about.
Especially Janie Hannagan.

Ever since she was eight years old, high school student Janie Hannagan has been uncontrollably drawn into other people's dreams, but it is not until she befriends an elderly nursing home patient and becomes involved with an enigmatic fellow-student that she discovers her true power.… (more)

Lisa McMann is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,918,329 books! | Top bar: Always visible