Wake by Lisa McMann

Wake (2008)

by Lisa McMann

Series: Wake Trilogy (1)

A good read on a rainy day. ( )
  gracefranks25 | Apr 24, 2016 |
Very, very readable! It only took me an evening to finish it and I immediately went looking for the sequel. I like the timeline that the book follows and I was on edge throughout willing Janie not to fall asleep at the wrong time. I think McMann does a good job portraying Janie as a tough but relatable character. It's hard not to like her and cheer for her even though there isn't one particular thing holding her back, she just has a hard life compounded by the fact that she feels burdened by her somewhat supernatural ability. I like that throughout the book Janie's main goal is to save for college and work hard but I didn't like the ending. I still wanted to finish the trilogy but the ending seemed too tidy.

Curricular connections - literature circles on paranormal novels or popular authors/series on a library table. ( )
  ECrowwwley | Feb 28, 2016 |
Original and interesting storyline. I read it pretty quick on a snowed in day and am now looking forward to reading Gone - the second in the series. ( )
  littlefalls | Feb 24, 2016 |
Wake was refreshing as a short book, but even then on some counts it failed to deliver. The characters remained rather flat and a little stereotyped, and really, how many of us are taking Cabel's sudden and magical transformation very seriously? But if you can get past the stories, McMann's got a very interesting concept. And Janie's best friend Carrie? She's the worst.

Getting past the intellectually shallow characters, McMann does have a very interesting concept. There are not a lot of books that delve into the dream world, and even fewer that do so without tying themselves to Alice in Wonderland. What Janie is, is a dream guide, and in dreams she encourages people to change their dreams. Unfortunately, that is all she does - watches, listens, and tells people to change. The concept could have been pulled a little further, but McMann seems to push for an entirely uncomplicated book, and that's what she succeeds in creating.

Although flat in many ways - including the above as well as sentence structure - Wake is still a charming, quick read. It's got enough paranormal elements that it doesn't feel like a regular YA novel, but it's also subtle enough that those who don't prefer fantasy do not feel ostracized by it. All in all a very quick, fun little read. ( )
  Morteana | Feb 3, 2016 |
Narrated by Ellen Grafton. The audio production was a disappointment. Grafton reads in a perky tone at a swift clip, lacking all the nuance and darkness of Janie's troubling power. If I continue with the series, it will be in print. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |

Lisa McMannprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Yuen, SammyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This one is for you,
Toots
To my amazing in-home cheerleaders, house cleaners, and editors--Matt, Kilian and Kennedy--you rock. There would be no Janie without your love, help, patience, and support.
Special thanks to Dr. Diane Blake Harper, my dear friend and Google-monkey; to Dr. Louis Catron for your kind, priceless critiques; to Ramon Collins for your years of support; and to Tricia, Chris, Erica, Greg, Dawn, Joe, David, Jen, Lisa, Andy, Matthew, Linda, Andie, and Ally for your generous assistance.
Finally, warmest gratitude to my fantastic agent, Michael Bourret, who believed in Janie and in me, and great praises for a most terrific team at Simon Pulse - Jennifer Klonsky, Caroline abbey, Michael del Rosario, and all the others who help make dreams come true.
Janie Hannagan's math book slips from her fingers.

For 17 year-old Janie Hannagan, getting sucked into other people's dreams is getting old. Especially the falling dreams. The naked but nobody notices dreams. And the sex-crazed teenager dreams. Janie's seen enough fantasy booty to last her a lifetime.

But then there are the nightmares that leave her blind and paralyzed in fear, even after the dreams are over. Those are the worst. Because one day, someone's going to notice her free-falling to the floor after somebody's study hall nap time nightmare, or collapsing outside a resident's room at the nursing home where she works. Or her worst fear: careening headlong into a tree if she ever drives past *that* house again.

She can't tell anybody about it. They'd never believe her. And she can't do anything to stop it. Until she gets to know Cabel Strumheller, a secretive, pothead flunkie turned pretty-boy. And he accidentally falls into a dream with her on the senior high bus trip to Stratford.

It's his own dream.
And it's a dream he'd rather no one knows about.
Especially Janie Hannagan.

Ever since she was eight years old, high school student Janie Hannagan has been uncontrollably drawn into other people's dreams, but it is not until she befriends an elderly nursing home patient and becomes involved with an enigmatic fellow-student that she discovers her true power.… (more)

Lisa McMann is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 697 books! | Top bar: Always visible