Wake by Lisa McMann

Wake (2008)

by Lisa McMann

Series: Wake Trilogy (1)

I thoroughly enjoyed this and went into it expecting the usual not-enough-depth that comes with reading most young-adult books. This was not the case here, not in my opinion. It was super-concise sure, which meant every word was vital to understanding what was happening - so no skimming.

Some may have found this style of writing abrupt but I didn't. There were no digressions and no unnecessary descriptions - so refreshing. Issues were raised which I'm familiar with and believe they were explained perfectly. The story was original, at least from my point of view, and didn't feel contrived or formulaic.

The only thing I can think of that is negative is the fact that I wanted a little more emotion from Janie when she is with Cabel and things are good between them, I had to use my imagination - or perhaps that was the point.

I can't wait to read the sequel. I won't be surprised if I'm reading it tomorrow. Well worth staying up to finish. I can't believe I waited so long to read it. It had me in its clutches from beginning to end. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
I wasn't exactly sure what to expect from this book. I picked it up at B&N in the 'local authors' section. I wasn't too thrilled with it. About half the book could have been removed and the story would have been the same. There is also a lot that wasn't explained, however I'll assume they explain more in the next book. It is a light young adult read that reminds me of Fear Street. Although I wouldn't recommend it for young teens or kids, there is several mentions of nudity and hintings of sex. Overall, decent but not good enough for me to want to go out of my way to get the next book. ( )
  PhxDan | Aug 28, 2014 |
Like not love. Interesting story, but I read it a while ago and I haven't stayed with the series to read the sequels. I liked the relationship between Janie and Cabel. Didn't find the writing style to be amazing. ( )
  Tigerlily12 | Jul 9, 2014 |
I really liked the depiction of the relationship between Janie and Cabel (read it awhile ago, may not have remembered those correctly). Wrapped up abruptly at the end but I will definitely be looking for the sequels. ( )
  ArmchairAuthor | Jul 3, 2014 |
A wonderful story, and such a fast read. I read this twice the first time and loved it both times. I would love to see this made into a movie. ( )
  camibrite | May 25, 2014 |

Lisa McMannprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Yuen, SammyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This one is for you,
Toots
To my amazing in-home cheerleaders, house cleaners, and editors--Matt, Kilian and Kennedy--you rock. There would be no Janie without your love, help, patience, and support.
Special thanks to Dr. Diane Blake Harper, my dear friend and Google-monkey; to Dr. Louis Catron for your kind, priceless critiques; to Ramon Collins for your years of support; and to Tricia, Chris, Erica, Greg, Dawn, Joe, David, Jen, Lisa, Andy, Matthew, Linda, Andie, and Ally for your generous assistance.
Finally, warmest gratitude to my fantastic agent, Michael Bourret, who believed in Janie and in me, and great praises for a most terrific team at Simon Pulse - Jennifer Klonsky, Caroline abbey, Michael del Rosario, and all the others who help make dreams come true.
Janie Hannagan's math book slips from her fingers.

For 17 year-old Janie Hannagan, getting sucked into other people's dreams is getting old. Especially the falling dreams. The naked but nobody notices dreams. And the sex-crazed teenager dreams. Janie's seen enough fantasy booty to last her a lifetime.

But then there are the nightmares that leave her blind and paralyzed in fear, even after the dreams are over. Those are the worst. Because one day, someone's going to notice her free-falling to the floor after somebody's study hall nap time nightmare, or collapsing outside a resident's room at the nursing home where she works. Or her worst fear: careening headlong into a tree if she ever drives past *that* house again.

She can't tell anybody about it. They'd never believe her. And she can't do anything to stop it. Until she gets to know Cabel Strumheller, a secretive, pothead flunkie turned pretty-boy. And he accidentally falls into a dream with her on the senior high bus trip to Stratford.

It's his own dream.
And it's a dream he'd rather no one knows about.
Especially Janie Hannagan.

Ever since she was eight years old, high school student Janie Hannagan has been uncontrollably drawn into other people's dreams, but it is not until she befriends an elderly nursing home patient and becomes involved with an enigmatic fellow-student that she discovers her true power.… (more)

Lisa McMann is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,962,234 books! | Top bar: Always visible