Wake by Lisa McMann

Wake (2008)

by Lisa McMann

Series: Wake Trilogy (1)

Wake is a book about a teenage girl and a teenage guy who are just trying to get through high school. Except Cabel is a flunkey, a drug dealer and now Janie's crush? And Janie is working 24/7 so save enough money for post-secondary while maintaining excellent grades and keeping up with her best friends dramatic roller-coaster life. Oh yeah- Jamie can also see into other peoples dreams.

I was looking for a quick, cute lovey dovey story, so I think that's why this book got as high a rating as it did. For the most part, Cabe was just too cute- super protective, caring and charming, I was completely in love. Jamie, for her part, was a fairly strong female character too and I rarely had qualms about how she handled things.

My only problem with the book was that sometimes it felt rushed. I would remember a scene from earlier in the book and it felt like it had been in an entirely separate book because it seemed so fast and unimportant as the chapters wore on- that being said, the book didn't stray- dreams were definitely 100% the main focus.

It's hard to give this a proper review because while I definitely enjoyed it, and I know there are two more books, I made the mistake of reading other reviews while in the middle of reading the book and a lot of the opinions of others started to make things stand out. Sometimes the characters seemed fake, other times they just seemed too weepy and worst was when there were sudden plot points that seemed to come out of nowhere and were never quite explained (ie. how Cabe became a nark? I know it was explained but I feel like it definitely lacked and could have been better done. That being said- I do still have 2 more books to get through.). All in all though, I think the sort of people who read this book just shouldn't have- it's definitely meant for it's aimed target group (pre-teen to teens who enjoy cute romance, and a whole lot of drama).

I loved Jamie and Cabel together- they were great characters- they had background, they had flaws and they had real, raw, emotions. The book ended a little abruptly for me, but that can be blamed on my e-reader not being able to tell me how far along I was, & I don't have a burning desire to go read the next two books but I do plan on having them both finished before the new year is up.

In the end- the book was great if you aren't looking for anything heavy, but just a little interesting. ( )
  PracticallyPerfect | Dec 16, 2014 |
It irks me when an author has a great idea for a book and then doesn't have the skill to pull it off. This book (and probably the entire series) is a prime example. ( )
  olegalCA | Dec 9, 2014 |
  olegalCA | Dec 9, 2014 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this and went into it expecting the usual not-enough-depth that comes with reading most young-adult books. This was not the case here, not in my opinion. It was super-concise sure, which meant every word was vital to understanding what was happening - so no skimming.

Some may have found this style of writing abrupt but I didn't. There were no digressions and no unnecessary descriptions - so refreshing. Issues were raised which I'm familiar with and believe they were explained perfectly. The story was original, at least from my point of view, and didn't feel contrived or formulaic.

The only thing I can think of that is negative is the fact that I wanted a little more emotion from Janie when she is with Cabel and things are good between them, I had to use my imagination - or perhaps that was the point.

I can't wait to read the sequel. I won't be surprised if I'm reading it tomorrow. Well worth staying up to finish. I can't believe I waited so long to read it. It had me in its clutches from beginning to end. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
I wasn't exactly sure what to expect from this book. I picked it up at B&N in the 'local authors' section. I wasn't too thrilled with it. About half the book could have been removed and the story would have been the same. There is also a lot that wasn't explained, however I'll assume they explain more in the next book. It is a light young adult read that reminds me of Fear Street. Although I wouldn't recommend it for young teens or kids, there is several mentions of nudity and hintings of sex. Overall, decent but not good enough for me to want to go out of my way to get the next book. ( )
  PhxDan | Aug 28, 2014 |

Lisa McMannprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Yuen, SammyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This one is for you,
Toots
To my amazing in-home cheerleaders, house cleaners, and editors--Matt, Kilian and Kennedy--you rock. There would be no Janie without your love, help, patience, and support.
Special thanks to Dr. Diane Blake Harper, my dear friend and Google-monkey; to Dr. Louis Catron for your kind, priceless critiques; to Ramon Collins for your years of support; and to Tricia, Chris, Erica, Greg, Dawn, Joe, David, Jen, Lisa, Andy, Matthew, Linda, Andie, and Ally for your generous assistance.
Finally, warmest gratitude to my fantastic agent, Michael Bourret, who believed in Janie and in me, and great praises for a most terrific team at Simon Pulse - Jennifer Klonsky, Caroline abbey, Michael del Rosario, and all the others who help make dreams come true.
Janie Hannagan's math book slips from her fingers.

For 17 year-old Janie Hannagan, getting sucked into other people's dreams is getting old. Especially the falling dreams. The naked but nobody notices dreams. And the sex-crazed teenager dreams. Janie's seen enough fantasy booty to last her a lifetime.

But then there are the nightmares that leave her blind and paralyzed in fear, even after the dreams are over. Those are the worst. Because one day, someone's going to notice her free-falling to the floor after somebody's study hall nap time nightmare, or collapsing outside a resident's room at the nursing home where she works. Or her worst fear: careening headlong into a tree if she ever drives past *that* house again.

She can't tell anybody about it. They'd never believe her. And she can't do anything to stop it. Until she gets to know Cabel Strumheller, a secretive, pothead flunkie turned pretty-boy. And he accidentally falls into a dream with her on the senior high bus trip to Stratford.

It's his own dream.
And it's a dream he'd rather no one knows about.
Especially Janie Hannagan.

Ever since she was eight years old, high school student Janie Hannagan has been uncontrollably drawn into other people's dreams, but it is not until she befriends an elderly nursing home patient and becomes involved with an enigmatic fellow-student that she discovers her true power.… (more)

Lisa McMann is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,357,100 books! | Top bar: Always visible