Arabesque: A Taste of Morocco, Turkey, and Lebanon (2005)

by Claudia Roden

Other authors: Jason Lowe (Photographer)

Born and raised in Cairo, Claudia Roden introduced Americans to a new world of Middle Eastern tastes with her 1968 classic cookbook. Here she revisits the three countries with the most exciting cuisines today--Morocco, Turkey, and Lebanon. Interweaving history, stories, and her own observations, she gives us 150 of the most delectable recipes: some of them new discoveries, some reworkings of classic dishes.--From publisher description.… (more)

While I wouldn't keep this for my shelves, I would definitely borrow it from the library again. The photos alone are worth browsing the entire book. So are the bits about Morocco, Turkey, and Lebanon. Found three recipes I want to try: Tomato and Rice Soup, Baba Ghanouj, and Hummus. ( )
  lesmel | May 19, 2013 |
I'm a Claudia Roden fan and this book is the best. Beautiful to look at. Wonderful to dream about. Terrific recipes. Mesmerizing stories about countries and cuisines and history of their food habits.. ( )
  authorknows | Sep 28, 2012 |
Arabesque covers Morocco, Turkey and Lebanon. I still think Moroccan will be the new Thai and I have two tagines waiting to be used. I also have preserved lemons in the refrigerator. My husband is half Lebanese so we are well acquainted with Lebanese food. It is amazing how much variation in food preparation occurs even in a small area of the world. Arabesque has many juicy photographs to whet the appetite and a bit of cultural history to go with each country. Another wonderful thing about cookbooks is you cannot gain weight just looking at them.
  candyschultz | Aug 3, 2007 |
I have been a devoted follower of Roden ever since my first successful attempt to make tabouleh, and I’ve bought every book of hers since—relishing not only the way her recipes tend to open up new possibilities in the most minimal of kitchens, but her steadfast belief that to really appreciate the taste of a dish, you should understand the culture that created it. Roden’s own interest in cooking came from just this impulse—a painter by profession, she wrote her first book in an attempt to evoke a lost childhood in Cairo. In her approach to food, people are as important as ingredients. Thus, in The Book of Jewish Food recipes are accompanied by historical anecdotes, personal memories, photographs, letters and diary excerpts; it has become one of the treasures of my cookbook library. The publication of a new Roden book is an occasion for celebration and a trip to the grocery store. And Arabesque: A Taste of Morocco, Turkey, & Lebanon (Knopf; $35) is definitely cause for celebration. . .read full review
1 vote southernbooklady | Jul 2, 2007 |

Roden, Claudiaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lowe, JasonPhotographersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Franssen, HennieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 154,574,463 books! | Top bar: Always visible