Arabesque by Claudia Roden

Arabesque (2005)

by Claudia Roden (Author)

Other authors: Jason Lowe (Photographer)

Recently added byprivate library, Soepkipje, dancetoanything

While I wouldn't keep this for my shelves, I would definitely borrow it from the library again. The photos alone are worth browsing the entire book. So are the bits about Morocco, Turkey, and Lebanon. Found three recipes I want to try: Tomato and Rice Soup, Baba Ghanouj, and Hummus. ( )
  lesmel | May 19, 2013 |
I'm a Claudia Roden fan and this book is the best. Beautiful to look at. Wonderful to dream about. Terrific recipes. Mesmerizing stories about countries and cuisines and history of their food habits.. ( )
  authorknows | Sep 28, 2012 |
I have been a devoted follower of Roden ever since my first successful attempt to make tabouleh, and I’ve bought every book of hers since—relishing not only the way her recipes tend to open up new possibilities in the most minimal of kitchens, but her steadfast belief that to really appreciate the taste of a dish, you should understand the culture that created it. Roden’s own interest in cooking came from just this impulse—a painter by profession, she wrote her first book in an attempt to evoke a lost childhood in Cairo. In her approach to food, people are as important as ingredients. Thus, in The Book of Jewish Food recipes are accompanied by historical anecdotes, personal memories, photographs, letters and diary excerpts; it has become one of the treasures of my cookbook library. The publication of a new Roden book is an occasion for celebration and a trip to the grocery store. And Arabesque: A Taste of Morocco, Turkey, & Lebanon (Knopf; $35) is definitely cause for celebration. . .read full review
1 vote southernbooklady | Jul 2, 2007 |
I've yet to cook anything from this book because everytime I think "Hey, why don't I cook something from this great book?" I spend hours and hours reading it -- not just the historical linkages but the recipes are beautifully written... ( )
  deliriumslibrarian | Aug 21, 2006 |

Roden, ClaudiaAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lowe, JasonPhotographersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Franssen, HennieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 030726498X, Hardcover)

In the 1960s Claudia Roden introduced Americans to a new world of tastes in her classic A Book of Middle Eastern Food. Now, in her enchanting new book, Arabesque, she revisits the three countries with the most exciting cuisines today—Morocco, Turkey, and Lebanon. Interweaving history, stories, and her own observations, she gives us 150 of the most delectable recipes: some of them new discoveries, some reworkings of classic dishes—all of them made even more accessible and delicious for today’s home cook.

From Morocco, the most exquisite and refined cuisine of North Africa: couscous dishes; multilayered pies; delicately flavored tagines; ways of marrying meat, poultry, or fish with fruit to create extraordinary combinations of spicy, savory, and sweet.

From Turkey, a highly sophisticated cuisine that dates back to the Ottoman Empire yet reflects many new influences today: a delicious array of kebabs, fillo pies, eggplant dishes in many guises, bulgur and chickpea salads, stuffed grape leaves and peppers, and sweet puddings.

From Lebanon, a cuisine of great diversity: a wide variety of mezze (those tempting appetizers that can make a meal all on their own); dishes featuring sun-drenched Middle Eastern vegetables and dried legumes; and national specialties such as kibbeh, meatballs with pine nuts, and lamb shanks with yogurt.

Claudia Roden knows this part of the world so intimately that we delight in being in such good hands as she translates the subtle play of flavors and simple cooking techniques to our own home kitchens.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:37 -0400)

Born and raised in Cairo, Claudia Roden introduced Americans to a new world of Middle Eastern tastes with her 1968 classic cookbook. Here she revisits the three countries with the most exciting cuisines today--Morocco, Turkey, and Lebanon. Interweaving history, stories, and her own observations, she gives us 150 of the most delectable recipes: some of them new discoveries, some reworkings of classic dishes.--From publisher description.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,707,571 books! | Top bar: Always visible