Murder for Christmas by Thomas Godfrey

Murder for Christmas (original 1982; edition 2007)

by Thomas Godfrey, Gahan Wilson (Illustrator)

248None46,005 (3.62)18
Member:mclay2007
Title:Murder for Christmas
Authors:Thomas Godfrey
Other authors:Gahan Wilson (Illustrator)
Info:Castle Books (2007), Hardcover, 465 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Christmas, HM, Mystery, Anthology

Murder for Christmas by Thomas Godfrey (1982)

Gahan Wilson's illustrations add greatly to this fine anthology of Christmas-themed mystery stories. I read it so early because I was looking for read-aloud stories, didn't find any. ( )
  auntieknickers | Apr 3, 2013 |
This collection of short stories seeks to put readers in the Christmas spirit by offering "26 tales of seasonal malice." Most of the stories are mysteries, involving everything from murder to jewel theft, kidnapping to highway robbery. There are also a few suspenseful thrillers, a couple of comic tales, and even a ghost story or two. The collection predominantly includes works by extremely famous authors, including Agatha Christie, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Rex Stout, Ellery Queen, G. K. Chesterton, Woody Allen, and Charles Dickens. Interspersed throughout the stories are cartoons by illustrator Gahan Wilson, introductions to each story by editor Thomas Godfrey, and the occasional brain teaser.

I picked up this book because I couldn't resist a collection of mystery stories that contained so many authors that I love. By and large, I really enjoyed these stories, especially those of the murder-at-an-English-country-house variety. (What can I say, I'm a diehard Agatha Christie fan!) I was also able to expand my horizons quite a bit: for example, I'd never read anything by Rex Stout before, and now I'm interested in giving his Nero Wolfe books a try. I was also impressed by the Ellery Queen and Georges Simenon installments, and I look forward to reading some more of their works. All in all, while I liked some stories more than others, I can't remember any that I really disliked. I think this book would be a wonderful Christmas gift for any mystery lover, especially someone who enjoys the "classics" of the genre.
  christina_reads | Dec 16, 2011 |
I find it very difficult to find a collection of short mystery stories with more than one or two which I enjoy in it. This book exceeded my expectations, but then it was full of stories from authors I love. There were some I had not read, however, and of those I will pursue at least three to see if I enjoy their longer works. In addition to the stories, the introduction written by Thomas Godfrey was delightful. The illustrations and interesting Christmas "facts" between tales made for much amusement. All in all, a great Christmas read. ( )
  MrsLee | Jan 10, 2011 |
26 mysteries all of a Christmas setting. ( )
  leahhenderson | Oct 20, 2009 |

Thomas Godfreyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wilson, GahanIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Kathy, The Best Thing that ever Happened to me.
Introduction: Come chill the cockles of your heart while such masters of evil as Agatha Christie, Ellery Queen and Robert Louis Stevenson spread the true Spirit of Christmas.

The greats of mystery present 26 yuletide tales of murder and mayhem just in time for Christmas. Includes works from such authors as Agatha Christie, Ellery Queen, Charles Dickens and Woody Allen.***Illus. 6 x 9.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:30 -0400)

"26 tales of seasonal malice by Agatha Christie, Ngaio Marsh, Georges Simenon, Woody Allen, Ellery Queen, Rex Stout, Dorothy L. Sayers, Damon Runyon, Margery Allingham, Stanley Ellin, O. Henry, Charles Dickens, Thomas Hardy, Robert Louis Stevenson, Arthur Conan Doyle and 10 others."… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,492,893 books! | Top bar: Always visible