Teen Angst? Naaah . . . A…

Teen Angst? Naaah . . . A Quasi-autobiography

by Ned Vizzini

It's usually decent, but it's not the equal of the more famous work (It's Kind of a Funny Story)....

It's divided into segments, mostly unrelated, and there are some bad segments, annoying, but if you forget about what doesn't work it passes the time at least.

..........................

There's also a real gem on page 55 on the nook version-- "My dominant nerd brain was telling me to stay home and cram. My subordinate cool brain was causing problems."-- but this sort of thing does not happen nearly often enough to make it great, nor as often as "It's Kind of a Funny Story" would lead you to expect. It's basically like a sort of silly footnote to (or, chronologically, a rehearsal for) his most famous work, with the sentences quoted above as a sort of blurb or summary.

A usually decent little footnote/rehearsal/(or, chronologically, for the new edition) re-hash.... not more, not less.

[He was also only nineteen when it was first published, so I guess you have to keep that in mind. It was also before his psychiatric hospitalization, so that's something you're missing out on, although, well, whatever.]

(8/10) ( )
  fearless2012 | Feb 21, 2014 |
After I read the 444 pages of It’s Kind of a Funny Story (which I feel obliged to defend, because the movie is nothing more than a snooze-fest), I made it a point to read more by Vizzini. I tried Be More Chill last spring. Needless to say, it didn’t work out — perhaps I will allow a second chance some other time. Instead, I took this as an opportunity to explore the pages of Teen Angst. I had no expectations for it to yank a riot of laughter from my lungs, but I hoped it could produce moderate ha-haing.

This book is for anybody who relates to the woes and mortification one can only endure by living through a misery called high school. I suspect, however, that Teen Angst more closely resonates among “nerds” — kids who sacrifice a night of sleep for a Magic card game, for example. In other words: this book is anyone who knows the awkward horrors that accompany puberty. This includes pre-teens, teens, and adults. All that you require is a sense of humor.

I can’t say I have had an addiction to Magic: The Gathering, but I think many of us can present a portion of ourselves that own a nerd-like label. Labels are for soup cans, Raya! OH, shut up. Labels are so integrated into our schools that I say labels are practically fused into the infrastructure. Which label you were or are coined in high school is beside the point, because I have no doubts we share qualities that dip into several: jock, loner, or stoner — it doesn’t matter. We all have some geekdom in us; albeit, some more than others (and some prouder to show it).

Starting with the year before Vizzini’s entrance into Stuyvesant, Teen Angst? Naaah… chronicles his high school years. From failed encounters with the opposite sex, a trip to The View, rock bands, Magic cards, Ninetendo, beer, to playing Jesus, Vizzini documents it all. (That is not the entire list, of course, but it has to end somewhere.) The illustrations that join the text are too dull for my taste, resembling simplistic computer graphics. Frankly, I could do without them, as the images don’t add to the humor. They don’t necessarily take away from the humor, either, but I’d prefer an all-text copy. The humor, while not exactly my taste, is “clean,” self-deprecating, and relatable. If this book can’t stir some memories of your own funny moments, you’re a nut! ( )
  the_airtwit | May 19, 2013 |
"Teen Angst?" is a collection of short essays about Ned Vizzini’s life as a student at New York’s Stuyvesant High School, aka Stuy High. Many of the experiences he writes about are almost universal, such as working at an awful summer job, dealing with embarrassing parents, and trying to understand members of the opposite sex. All of these experiences are recounted with honesty and humor.
I first read this book when I was fifteen or sixteen, and I absolutely loved it. Because the essays were written when Vizzini was in high school and published when he was nineteen, the teen voice is authentic, without condescension or moral overtones. However, he is much more honest than an average teenager would be – for example, he admits that he told his friends he lost his virginity when he was sixteen even though he remained a virgin through the end of high school. I appreciated his candor and willingness to articulate emotions that teens may be hesitant to express themselves.
I'd recommend this book for kids ages 13-18. ( )
  relientkatie | Dec 26, 2007 |
There's a window of time, after you've shed the pathetic dreams of childhood but before the hormones kick in, where you really can do anything.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 044023767X, Mass Market Paperback)

The events in these stories are real. Some names have been changed so I don’t get yelled at.

Ned Vizzini writes about the weird, funny, and sometimes mortifying moments that made up his teen years. With wit, irony, and honesty, Teen Angst? Naaah . . . invites you into his world of school, parents, street people, rock bands, friends, fame, camp, sex (sort of), Cancun (almost), prom, beer, Nintendo, the cool (and almost cool), and more. A Holden Caulfield for Generation Y, Ned Vizzini is an original voice to be reckoned with, read, and enjoyed.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:58 -0400)

A collection of essays written by the author from age fifteen to seventeen in which he shares impressions of school, sports, cool people, boring people, friends, family, money, music, and obsessions.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,469,736 books! | Top bar: Always visible