The Senator's Wife by Sue Miller

The Senator's Wife (2008)

by Sue Miller

(7.5)Meri and Nathan, newly weds purchase their first home. Nathan is impressed that their next door neighbour is retired senator Tom Naughton. However they soon realise he is not present only his wife Delia is. She befriends them and Meri is impressed and drawn to her. When she is asked to keep an eye on the property for Delia, Meri delves into private correspondence to discover where the Senator is. Having over stepped the boundaries, Meri struggles with her knowledge and also the onset of an unplanned pregnancy.
I enjoyed this read and the writer's observations on the adaptations made in both a new and mature marriage. ( )
  HelenBaker | Nov 24, 2018 |
This is a homely story with a twist. Meri and her recent husband Nathan move in to a house in New England, next door to the Senator's wife. They are both neighbourly with the Senator'w Wife, Delia but there is always some sort of distance. Meri becomes too interested in Delia's life and struggles as a new mother in a strange town. There is a lot here about love that is touching and forgiveness that is sometimes very laudable but in there is also a man shown as being unable to control his desires however much they hurt others. ( )
  Tifi | Feb 25, 2018 |
This was on my to be read list for several years so I was thrilled to run across a copy. I mainly read thriller/mystery but every once in a while something other than will pique my interest. Though Miller does a great job of moving through current and past and between characters, I do think this suffered a bit due to the current political climate. It was too much of a down memory lane story. My chief complaint would be that in the end Nathan came out as a total moron instead of the deservedly haf wit moron he was. ( )
  debavp | Dec 15, 2016 |
I've never read Sue Miller, so I don't know if this book is representative of her work. If it is, I won't read her again. The title character is Delia Naughton, married to a Kennedy-esque philanderer until she finally boots him out, allowing him in and out of her life both for politics and for love. Much of the book is from the viewpoint of her young neighbor Meri, an unhappy new mother who develops a fascination/obsession with Delia and her husband Tom.

For the sake of avoiding spoilers, I can't say much about the denouement except that it is, in my opinion, icky, and just very odd. And I will break my usual rule and make the annoying comment that I found the characters unlikable. For all that this is "women's fiction," it read to me like an ode to the Male-Identified Woman, and I can't identify with that at all. ( )
  CasualFriday | May 20, 2016 |
story of lives in a duplex house. Interesting tale woven together with a few twists and turns. ( )
  deldevries | Jan 31, 2016 |

Meri is newly married, pregnant, and standing on the cusp of her life as a wife and mother, recognizing with some terror the gap between reality and expectation. Delia—wife of the two-term liberal senator Tom Naughton—is Meri's new neighbor in the adjacent New England town house. Tom's chronic infidelity has been an open secret in Washington circles, but despite the complexity of their relationship, the bond between them remains strong. Soon Delia and Meri find themselves leading strangely parallel lives, as they both reckon with the contours and mysteries of marriage: one refined and abraded by years of complicated intimacy, the other barely begun. With precision and a rich vitality, Sue Miller—beloved and bestselling author of While I Was Gone—brings us a highly charged, superlative novel about marriage and forgiveness.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:34 -0400)

This is a story about marriage and the friendship of Meri, newly married and pregnant and Delia, the wife of a senator whose chronic infidelity is well known in Washington circles.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,551,046 books! | Top bar: Always visible