The Senator's Wife by Sue Miller

The Senator's Wife (2008)

by Sue Miller

rabck from dvg; Mostly about Delia - the Senator's wife, although I didn't understand why part of the story was about Meri also until the end. Delia has been married for years to former senator Tom Naughton. They live apart because of Tom's chronic infidelity, but yet Delia never divorces him. When it's convenient for her, she arranges a get-away for them together, and they act like long lost lovers. When Tom, late in life, has a stroke, Delia brings him into her house to care for him, only to discover that despite his body being maimed by the stroke, he still has his wits and a roving eye. ( )
  nancynova | Mar 18, 2014 |
Sue Miller is another thoroughly reliable author, and this novel held me gripped throughout. The developing relationship between the two sets of neighbours - one newly married and one secretly separated - is very good indeed. I thought the portrait of a new marriage (the result of a whirlwind relationship) was simply top-notch, though I also enjoyed how the two women neighbours gradually take over the scenes. In essence, it becomes a novel about what women hide and what they reveal, and that's no bad thing. The powerful and bitter end is almost perfect - though I would have liked to have had another scene or two with the older woman neighbour as that would have rounded it off more effectively. Still, Miller is always quietly brilliant and I can recommend this one for sure. ( )
  AnneBrooke | Jan 22, 2014 |
Great writing, however the story was slow-moving. An interesting twist near the end will keep you thinking about this book for days/months to come. ( )
  Becky221 | Dec 2, 2013 |
I am going to talk a bit about plot - spoilers ahead.***

I found this book very readable. I haven't read any Sue Miller before and was pleased with how engaging the story was from the very start.

I liked having two characters to follow - two women at different parts of their life. I found the slow unfolding of all the details of their life really satisfying.

That is - until the last 1/3 or so of the book. It sort of fell apart for me in that I stopped liking Meri - the younger of the two protagonists. Her relentless negative views on pregnancy and motherhood were really grating to me.

As for Delia - I felt like her character who had so much going for her - so much direction - became an unrecognizable mess towards the end of the book.

I felt like the transformation for both was too abrupt to be believable and really ruined the flow of the narrative for me.

As for the end end of the novel. I thought it was just too bizarre and contrived for the book - I also thought that it was really strange not to follow up with Delia after "the event" (what I will call it- to soften the spoilage) and that it left me with a feeling of being unbalanced that I didn't get to know about her life after "the event".

Anyway - I really liked this book up until all of a sudden I didn't. ( )
1 vote alanna1122 | Sep 15, 2013 |
It took me longer than usual to finish this book...but it was nice to savor it and let it soak in. I didn't love it and I didn't hate it, I just liked it. It's a story of two women's lives and how one man changed them both, though that's not clear until the end. Interesting read... ( )
1 vote melissarochelle | Apr 13, 2013 |

Meri is newly married, pregnant, and standing on the cusp of her life as a wife and mother, recognizing with some terror the gap between reality and expectation. Delia—wife of the two-term liberal senator Tom Naughton—is Meri's new neighbor in the adjacent New England town house. Tom's chronic infidelity has been an open secret in Washington circles, but despite the complexity of their relationship, the bond between them remains strong. Soon Delia and Meri find themselves leading strangely parallel lives, as they both reckon with the contours and mysteries of marriage: one refined and abraded by years of complicated intimacy, the other barely begun. With precision and a rich vitality, Sue Miller—beloved and bestselling author of While I Was Gone—brings us a highly charged, superlative novel about marriage and forgiveness.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:17 -0400)

This is a story about marriage and the friendship of Meri, newly married and pregnant and Delia, the wife of a senator whose chronic infidelity is well known in Washington circles.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,710,660 books! | Top bar: Always visible