Goddesses in Everywoman: A New Psychology of…

Goddesses in Everywoman: A New Psychology of Women (1984)

by Jean Shinoda Bolen

English (6)  German (2)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (11)
About the author: quoting from the book's back cover: "Jean Shinoda Bolen, M.D., author of 'The Tao of Psychology,' is a Jungian analyst and a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry at the University of California, San Francisco. She is on the board of directors of the 'Ms.' Foundation for Women, and also teaches and leads seminars locally and throughout the country." About the book: quoting from the book's back cover, Carol Nadelson, M.D., President of the American Psychiatric Association, said of this work, "A fascinating and innovative. . .way of looking at woman's psychology, which puts us in touch with our past and engages us toward our future." This book has chapter notes, an appendix of Who's Who in Greek Mythology, a Goddess chart, a bibliography and is well indexed.
1 vote | uufnn | Dec 4, 2016 |
An excellent resource for understanding female archetypes whether you are looking for insight about yourself or other women in your life. I also found it useful as a writing tool to help define or understand complex (believable) female characters. ( )
1 vote 365books | Apr 3, 2010 |
"Archetypes are a powerful tool for self-knowledge because they tap into the universal collective language we all share. Learning to become more aware of your own archetypes can help you see yourself, the bigger picture and is a good place to start creating solutions for yourself and others. This book is for women." ( )
1 vote PamelaWells | Mar 16, 2010 |
Every woman who has ever had any interest in psychology or mythology must read this book. It is excellent! Bolen unlocks the secrets behind the Greek myths and shows us that those goddesses are alive within each of us. And she does it in a way that is useful and insightful.

The foundation of the book is that mythology, in all its manifestations, is a representation of universal truth. Commonalities across cultures that had no interaction show that they come from a place that is common to all human experience, regardless of situation, culture, or influence.

Bolen focuses on the Greek Goddesses as archetypes for female behavior. The jealous wife as Hera, the focused Artemis, etc. But what is so great about these archetypes is that Bolen shows the strengths, weaknesses, and opportunities in each. She shows how they work together, how they conflict, and how to mediate between.

My only real struggle with the book is that I felt Bolen was a bit biased against some and towards others of the archetypes. She is clearly a strong Artemis, and tends to speak of Artemis in glowing terms. Persephone, Athena, and Hera don't fare nearly as well. I suspect this comes from her experience as a psychiatrist and seeing those types suffer more than others. That doesn't excuse devaluing those goddess types, though.

I can't speak highly enough of this book. If you haven't read it, go out and get it. If you have, pick up your copy and give it another go. Amazing! ( )
1 vote rbtwinky | Aug 1, 2009 |
another excellent book by a well-known Jungian analyst. ( )
  sarahinfla | May 12, 2007 |

Jean Shinoda Bolenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Steinem, GloriaForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
From the seed grows a root, then a sprout; from the sprout, the seedling leaves; from the leaves, the stem; around the stem, the branches; at the top, the flower...We cannot say that the seed causes the growth, nor that the soil does. We can say that the potentialities for growth lie within the seed, in mysterious life forces, which, when properly fostered, take on certain forms. - M C Richards, 'Centering in Pottery, Poety and the Person'
To my mother, Megumi Yamaguchi Shinoda MD, who was determined to help me grow up - as she hadn't - feeling that I was fortunate to be a girl, and could do whatever I aspired to as a woman.
Everywoman has the leading role in her own unfolding life story.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006091291X, Paperback)

Just as women used to be unconscious of the powerful effects that cultural stereotypes had on them, they may also be unconscious of powerful forces within them that influence what they do and how they feel, and which account for major differences among women. Psychoanalyst Jean Bolen believes that an understanding of these inner patterns and their interrelationships offers reassuring, true-to-life alternatives that take women far beyond such restrictive dichotomies as masculine/feminine, mother/lover, careerist/housewife. And she demonstrates how understanding them can provide the key to self-knowledge and wholeness. Dr. Bolen introduces these patterns in the guise of seven archetypal goddesses, or personality types, with whom all women will identify. Goddesses in Everywoman shows readers how to identify their ruling goddesses (from the autonomous Artemis and the cool Athena to the nurturing Demeter and the creative Aphrodite), how to decide which to cultivate and which to overcome, and how to tap the power of these enduring archetypes to become better "heroines" in their own life stories.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:21 -0400)

Jean Shinoda Bolen's celebrated work of female psychology that uses seven archetypical goddesses to describing behavior patterns and personality traits, as relevant and timeless today as when it was first published thirty years ago. Myths are fascinating stories that become even more intriguing when we realize that they can reveal intimate truths about ourselves and others. Jean Shinoda Bolen brings the Greek pantheon to life as our inner archetypes and applies the power of myth to our personal lives. Once we understand the natural progression from myth to archetype to personal psychology, and realize that positive gifts and negative tendencies are qualities associated with a particular goddess within, we gain powerful insights. Depending on which goddess is more active within, one woman might be more committed to achieving professional success, while another more fulfilled as a wife and mother. From the autonomous Artemis and the cool Athena to the nurturing Demeter and the creative Aphrodite, she teaches women how to decide which to cultivate and which to overcome, and how to tap the power of these enduring archetypes to become a better 'heroine' in their own life story.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,757,697 books! | Top bar: Always visible