Grandfather Tang's Story by Ann Tompert

Grandfather Tang's Story (1990)

by Ann Tompert

Grandfather Tang’s Story is a picture book of Chinese storytelling with tangrams. Grandfather Tang is sharing stories with his grand daughter of foxes trying to outdo each other and turn into other animals.
  alcrumpler | Jul 12, 2014 |
This book was a story about a grandfather and his granddaughter. They use different shapes to tell stories. This story is about two foxes that are friends. They love to compete. However, they like it so much it almost ruins their friendship completely.

Personal reaction:

This book has so many simple lessons that are good for young children to learn. Even for older children this book would be beneficial.

Extensions:
1. This would be good to teach children over how we should be good friends to one another.
2. And go over how competition is good, but if not in the right spirit it can ruin friendships.
  kristendickerson | Mar 24, 2014 |
I really enjoyed how there were subtitles written in tangrams. I liked how the story began and ended with Little Soo and Grandfather bonding and sharing storytime. This detail made it clear that the book was telling a story within a story.
I think it can be relatable to most readers and it gives much insight to the Chinese folktale cutlture. I picked up this sense because the animals that the folkatle was about were illustrated appropriately to match the Chinese theme. For instance, the fish was drawn as a Koy fish and grandfather and Little Soo were dressed in Chinese dresses and flat shoes and black hair. Small details like these made the book culturally accurate.
My favorite aspect of this book was that the story that grandfather told related to his relationship with his grandaughter. As the reader, you don't sense this or put it all together until the last two pages. This kept my interest and since there was a purpose to the story, I thought it was a nice touch.
I think the big idea of this picture book is how closely bonded children are with their elders in the Chinese culture. There was no major lesson or theme in this story other than realizing that the grandfather and Little Soo really love and value each other. This is so humbling to read and made me reflect on my realtionship with my grandparents and how nice it is for children to have such a significant bond with them. ( )
  ngwiaz1 | Oct 10, 2013 |
“Grandfather Tang’s Story”
By Ann Tompert, illustrated by Robert Andrew Parker
This has been a favorite of mine for a long time. I have decided to get it to use for my math class. This book can also be used for Chinese cultural studies because tangrams are ancient Chinese puzzles and the book is about fox fairies which are a part of Chinese folklore. The plot of this book is Grandfather Tang telling a story to his granddaughter Soo about the Fox Fairies using tangrams to make the shapes of the different animals throughout the book. I give this book five stars and will use it with all of my classes in the future. One activity is to have the children make tangram animals and another activity would be for them to do a story like this one with tangrams to make the animal characters. ( )
  bettybealis | Jul 27, 2011 |
When two shape shifters take their competitive nature to far, they learn to bring their friendship to the forefront and work together to save themselves from hunters.
Classroom Use: A perfect compliment to a math lesson about the properties of tanagrams. ( )
  Jdonldsn | Dec 8, 2010 |
Grandfather Tang and Little Soo were sitting under a peach tree in their backyard.

"Grandfather Tang's Story" is a great book for a read aloud with interaction. In the story, Grandfather Tang used tan grams to tell his story about two magic foxes who change themselves into different animals in competition. Grandfather Tang rearranges the tangram pieces to show the change of the animals. Along with beautiful watercolor illustrations of the animals' story, the outline of the tan gram shapes are given so that the reader or the audience can create the tan gram animals as well. I am excited about using this story in my classroom when we learn about China. I think it will be a valuable incorporation of literature into my China unit. To take it further, I will also have my students create and present their own tan gram story.

"Drawing on a Chinese form of storytelling with seven shapes cut from a square of paper, Tompert recounts the tale of two fox fairies. Parker's pen-and-watercolor art adds drama, while the tangram insets will motivate children to try their own versions."--The Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:08 -0400)

Grandfather tells a story about shape-changing fox fairies who try to best each other until a hunter brings danger to both of them.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,487,287 books! | Top bar: Always visible