Murder at Willow Slough by Josh Thomas

Murder at Willow Slough (edition 2001)

by Josh Thomas

Rating:***
Tags:mm, ebook, english, crime

Murder at Willow Slough by Josh Thomas

DNF at 30%.

I didn't enjoy this one - found it incredibly boring and dislike the protag a bit. He is TGTBT, so georgeous he could stop traffic with his face, totally butch and overall awesome - not. Besides his often mentioned looks he is simply uninteresting. His counterpart, the butch, "straight" guy is also extremely gorgeous.

The writing doesn't sit right with me - it feels somehow disconnected, I didn't get into the story, and some editing issues, e.g. gay is always written with capital G. Same with straight and lesbian - it looks real weird, mostly because the word "gay" appears VERY often.

Tam2603 | Apr 18, 2013 |
I think my status updates explain pretty much what you need to know. ( )
  maybedog | Apr 5, 2013 |
I think my status updates explain pretty much what you need to know. ( )
  maybedog | Apr 5, 2013 |
This book is more of a police drama than a mystery, which bodes well for me. I thoroughly enjoyed this book on many levels. First, I totally love the main character of Jamie, the reporter. He should have his own TV show, ala Lou Grant. Thomas truly created a believable character in Jamie, showing his stubborness, his smarts, as well as his vulnerability and sense of humor. A hugely well-rounded character. Unfortunately, Thomas didn't quite do as well with his love interest Kent, but he came close. The writing in this book was fast-paced, lots going on, things moving along quickly, yet you still feel like you got inside the head of the main characters. And of course, let me not forget, the main setting of the book is modern-day Indianapolis, a city I lived in for over 6 years. So I felt right at home. I loved the setting details in the book, because I could relate to them. I knew exactly where the characters were at. I can't help but wonder if this book was at all inspired by the Baumeister seriel-killer case in Indy. The case in the book had many parallels with it, although fiction made it way more twisty! A great read!

On a scale of 1 to 10, it's an 9. ( )
  krysteria | Apr 15, 2008 |
added by gsc55 | editTA Chase (Jun 30, 2006)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 059515686X, Paperback)

A Gay reporter, a Straight cop and thirteen dead men: will the good guys get the killers, or will the killers get them?Jamie Foster has a lot going for himhes young, blond and handsome, with an exciting career as a journalist. Then his life falls apart. Kent Kessler is a winner, too, a good-looking athlete and the youngest sergeant in state police history. Assigned to investigate a Gay murder, he comes up clueless. He teams with Jamie to track down the killer, and soon confronts a mind-boggling conspiracy.Murder at Willow Slough is simultaneously terrifying, tough and tender, as two very different men stare down danger and discover the truth: the only defense against evil is people who care for each other."A gripping mystery that will keep fans of the genre enthralled from first page to last. Added to the mix is a warm romance... (Jamie) Foster finds himself face to face with the enemy in a heart-stopping scene that will have you on the edge of your seat... You'll find yourself often holding your breath."The Letter (Louisville, KY)"For those who enjoy a good suspense book, this is it. And for those who enjoy a nice romance book (along the lines of The Front Runner), this is it."Columbus Alive"The novel is a solid mystery, with believable characters and tremendous suspense. Readers will appreciate Thomas' wit and the characters he creates--as well as a story that will stay with them long after the novel ends."Nuvo Newsweekly"There are distinct flashes of Thomas Harris-like brilliance here, bringing to mind the evil exuding from the pages when Hannibal Lecter did something naughty. There are twists and turns aplenty. There are secrets within conspiracies, and many of the characters are not what they seem to be."Gay Peoples Chronicle

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:58 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,988,493 books! | Top bar: Always visible