Emma (Penguin Clothbound Classics) by Jane…

Emma (Penguin Clothbound Classics) (original 1816; edition 2009)

by Jane Austen (Author), Fiona Stafford (Introduction)

30,73741663 (4.07)3 / 1610
Content with her life and not interested in marriage, Emma Woodhouse, a rich and beautiful heiress, causes complications with her matchmaking schemes.
Member:mgeorgebrown89
Title:Emma (Penguin Clothbound Classics)
Authors:Jane Austen (Author)
Other authors:Fiona Stafford (Introduction)
Info:Penguin Classics (2009), Edition: 01, 474 pages
Tags:unread-owned

Emma by Jane Austen (1816)

Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Flora is very clearly modeled on Emma.
    Mary Barton by Elizabeth Gaskell (kara.shamy)
    kara.shamy: In some ways the heroines in these two novels are alike, but they are very different in other respects, and more strikingly, their respective journeys to the altar/married life go in diametrically opposite ways, in a sense! Both are true classics in my estimation; reading these two novels exposes the reader to two of the greatest English-language novelists of all time in the height of their respective powers. While all readers and critics do not and will not share this superlative view, few would dispute these are two early female masters of the form and are well worth a read on that humbler basis ;) Enjoy!… (more)
    The Makioka Sisters by Jun'ichirō Tanizaki (Sarasamsara)
    Sarasamsara: Like Austen's novels, The Makioka Sisters traces the daily lives and romances of an upper-class family-- the only difference is that this is pre-war Japan, not Regency England. Like in one of Austen's works, when you close the novel you feel like you are closing the door on someone's life.… (more)
    Miss Marjoribanks by Margaret Oliphant (nessreader)
    nessreader: Both Emma and Miss M are about ambitious, capable upper class women who can only express themselves as social hostesses. Both heroines are managing and bossy - Miss M, a generation younger, is played more for laughs, but there is a strong parallel. And both end in utter satisfaction for heroine and reader alike.… (more)
    The Scandal of the Season: A Novel by Sophie Gee (SandSing7)
    The Victorian Governess by Kathryn Hughes (susanbooks)
    susanbooks: Though Austen is writing before the Victorian age, Hughes' book helps give an idea of the kind of life Jane Fairfax was facing.
    The Espressologist by Kristina Springer (dizzyweasel)
    dizzyweasel: Adorable remake of Emma, set in a coffeehouse with a matchmaking barista.
    Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy (roby72)
1810s (3)

English (392)  Italian (7)  Spanish (4)  Swedish (3)  French (2)  Norwegian (1)  German (1)  Lithuanian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (415)
I'd seen a television adaptation of this recently and it was interesting to see how much more material there was in the book. A good insight into the lives of the well-off and how dominant the question of marriage was for women in this environment.
  jgoodwll | Oct 22, 2020 |
Next to Pride and Prejudice this is my favorite Austen! It’s very funny, charming, and as always, an interesting study in character - Emma’s developing maturity, the steadiness of her friends, the gallant Mr. Knightley, the odious Eltons, the self seeking Frank Churchill. I also enjoyed the comic relief of the hypochondriacal Mr. Woodhouse and his persistent worries of drafts and the elements.😁 ( )
  Misprint | Aug 31, 2020 |
I feel like the first 3/4 of this book took forEVER to get going, but I'm so glad I stuck with it. I'm actually looking forward to reading it again soon! ( )
  AnnaWaffles | Aug 28, 2020 |
I originally read Emma 35 years ago. I enjoyed it even more this time..I listened to it on audio book. It was an outstanding performance! ( )
  Chrissylou62 | Aug 1, 2020 |
If I loved you less, I might be able to talk about it more. ( )
  SolangePark | Jul 11, 2020 |
The institution of marriage, like the novel itself, has changed greatly since Austen’s time; but as long as human beings long for this kind of mutual recognition and understanding, “Emma” will live.
added by danielx | editNew York TImes, Adam Kirsch (pay site) (Dec 27, 2015)

“Perhaps the key to Emma’s perfection, however, is that it is a comic novel, written in a mode that rarely gets much respect. It’s exquisitely ironic.”

“The presiding message of the novel is that we must forgive Emma for her shortcomings just as she can and does learn to excuse the sometimes vexing people around her. There is, I believe, more wisdom in that than in many, many more portentous and ambitious novels. Emma is flawed, but ‘Emma’ is flawless."
added by danielx | editSalon.com, Laura Miller (Dec 23, 2015)

It’s a small but striking and instructive demonstration, the careful way Emma appraises the character of the various men who jockey for her attentions and those of the women around her. We could all learn from her example.
added by danielx | editNew York Times, Anna Holmes (pay site) (Dec 1, 2015)

"In January 1814, Jane Austen sat down to write a revolutionary novel. Emma, the book she composed over the next year, was to change the shape of what is possible in fiction."

"The novel’s stylistic innovations allow it to explore not just a character’s feelings, but, comically, her deep ignorance of her own feelings. "

"Those who condemn the novel by saying that its heroine is a snob miss the point. Of course she is. But Austen, with a refusal of moralism worthy of Flaubert, abandons her protagonist to her snobbery and confidently risks inciting foolish readers to think that the author must be a snob too"

Austen, Janeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is replied to in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Emma (1948TVIMDb)
To His Royal Highness, the Prince Regent, this work is, by His Royal Highness's permission, most respectfully dedicated, by His Royal Highness's dutiful and obedient humble servant, the author.
Emma Woodhouse, handsome, clever, and rich, with a comfortable home and happy disposition, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of existence; and had lived nearly twenty-one years in the world with very little to distress or vex her.
Silly things do cease to be silly if they are done by sensible people in an impudent way.
"I thank you; but I assure you, you are quite mistaken. Mr. Elton and I are very good friends, and nothing more, and she walked on, amusing herself in the consideration of the blunders which often arise from a partial knowledge of circumstances, of the mistakes which people of high pretensions to judgment are for every falling into..." (Emma)
"I always deserve the best treatment because I never put up with any other."
Seldom, very seldom, does complete truth belong to any human disclosure.
I have seen a great many lists of her drawing up at various times of books that she meant to read regularly through--and very good books they were--very well chosen and very neatly arranged--sometimes alphabetically and sometimes by some other rule.

Mix-match my neighbors
Meddles. Learns lessons.
(pickupsticks)
She can do no wrong
Matchmaking busybody
Knightley sets things right.
(pickupsticks)

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439580, 0141028092, 0143106465, 0141199520

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909175951, 1909175315

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,616,183 books! | Top bar: Always visible