Emma (Penguin Classics) by Jane Austen

Emma (Penguin Classics) (original 1815; edition 2003)

by Jane Austen

23,51831747 (4.09)1 / 1217
Member:Hermyoni
Title:Emma (Penguin Classics)
Authors:Jane Austen
Info:Penguin Classics (2003), Paperback, 512 pages

Emma by Jane Austen (1815)

Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Flora is very clearly modeled on Emma.
    Miss Marjoribanks by Mrs. Oliphant (nessreader)
    nessreader: Both Emma and Miss M are about ambitious, capable upper class women who can only express themselves as social hostesses. Both heroines are managing and bossy - Miss M, a generation younger, is played more for laughs, but there is a strong parallel. And both end in utter satisfaction for heroine and reader alike.… (more)
    The Makioka Sisters by Junichiro Tanizaki (Sarasamsara)
    Sarasamsara: Like Austen's novels, The Makioka Sisters traces the daily lives and romances of an upper-class family-- the only difference is that this is pre-war Japan, not Regency England. Like in one of Austen's works, when you close the novel you feel like you are closing the door on someone's life.… (more)
    Mary Barton by Elizabeth Gaskell (kara.shamy)
    kara.shamy: In some ways the heroines in these two novels are alike, but they are very different in other respects, and more strikingly, their respective journeys to the altar/married life go in diametrically opposite ways, in a sense! Both are true classics in my estimation; reading these two novels exposes the reader to two of the greatest English-language novelists of all time in the height of their respective powers. While all readers and critics do not and will not share this superlative view, few would dispute these are two early female masters of the form and are well worth a read on that humbler basis ;) Enjoy!… (more)
    The Scandal of the Season: A Novel by Sophie Gee (SandSing7)
    The Victorian Governess by Kathryn Hughes (susanbooks)
    susanbooks: Though Austen is writing before the Victorian age, Hughes' book helps give an idea of the kind of life Jane Fairfax was facing.
    The Espressologist by Kristina Springer (dizzyweasel)
    dizzyweasel: Adorable remake of Emma, set in a coffeehouse with a matchmaking barista.
    To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (sturlington)
    Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy (roby72)
Unread books (1,035)

English (299)  Swedish (3)  Spanish (3)  Italian (2)  French (2)  German (1)  Norwegian (1)  Finnish (1)  Lithuanian (1)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (316)
Não se lê tão rápida ou facilmente quanto Orgulho e Preconceito. Emma Woodhouse, a jovem socialite do título, não tem dificuldades de relacionamento, é bonita, rica, popular, razoavelmente inteligente, de humor inteligente e espirituoso. mas uma pessoa até certo ponto desfrutável: casamenteira demais, com complexo de Cupido. ( )
  jgcorrea | Apr 24, 2015 |
Oh, Jane. How I love reading her works. I think Emma’s character sometimes gets a bad wrap for being such a meddling goody-goody. However, I think she’s charming. As do many of Austen’s works, this one includes a “lesson” and throughout the novel, we see Emma grow in character. Austin’s characters are so fabulous… especially the over-the-top ones such as Mrs. Elton. She makes them so real. Every time Mr. Woodhouse says something in his worried manner about the draft or something of the sort, as a reader I just smile, and think, oh, that’s so like Mr. Woodhouse. How does she do that? Good writing, that’s how. People just don’t write like this anymore. Sigh.

Would I recommend this to my BFF? Of course!
Would I recommend this to my teen daughter? Yes. I have tried getting her into Austen. We’ve watched several of the movie adaptations of the books (I know — the horror!) but it’s still hard for her to get into the books still because of the language. I’m hoping as she continues to develop as a reader, the old English won’t be such a deterrent for her. ( )
  lauraodom | Apr 16, 2015 |
It took me a while to get into the prose style, the syntax - I don't read these old books. But such is Austen's skill that I'm now looking forward to finally reading P&P, and maybe some Dickens, too.

I mean, while it's of course true that this 2 century old society of caste and protocol is alien to most of us now, human nature itself isn't. Young girls, for example, still do have passionate infatuations, and I'm sure teens now can easily see their friends in Harriet as she's told who to flirt with next, and as she compares two potential beaus to Emma: "You must think one five hundred million times above me than the other."

This is still relevant, too: "Something occurred... to make Emma want their advice; and, which was still more lucky, she wanted exactly the advice they gave."

I did, personally, feel gypped that we didn't get to spend any time getting to know the children or servants at all - not even as much as we did in Jane Eyre.

Social intrigue still isn't my thing, really, but this was funny, and smart, and interesting. Thank you Costco for buying the pretty pink leather (vinyl?) WordCloud edition and persuading me to buy it so I could finally get around to reading this story.

(Said pretty edition avl. gratis to first US member who asks for it. :) ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
¡Qué lástima que ya conociera la trama antes de abrir el libro, a raíz de las películas! Me ha impedido disfrutar de la novela de una forma que no habría creído capaz. He terminado abandonandola. Conocer lo que va a ocurrir hoja tras hoja hace de la lectura de Austen algo insoportable. Y es una pena, porque sé que me habría encantado la historia, quizá tanto como orgullo y prejuicio, que lo abrí sin ideas previas ni prejuicios. No puedo menos que recomendar a aquellos interesados en la obra de Austen que no vean ninguna de las peliculas basadas en sus novelas antes de abrirlas.
  L0r0 | Mar 22, 2015 |
Third Jane Austen book down this year! Sadly, this one falls short of Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility for me. Emma had a much slower plot and I thought it was insanely predictable. Don't get me wrong, it's still a good read and I enjoyed all the banter and classic "mishaps" that Jane Austen's characters got themselves into, it's just not my favorite. Emma is an independent, fanciful young woman. She lives with her father and loves to play matchmaker amongst her friends. As new residents come into their English country village, Emma finds that she may have taken things a little too far. Minding one's own business seems to be the best course of action. Although not my favorite, still worth a read. ( )
  ecataldi | Mar 3, 2015 |

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is replied to in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Emma (1948TVIMDb)
Emma Woodhouse, handsome, clever, and rich, with a comfortable home and happy disposition, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of existence; and had lived nearly twenty-one years in the world with very little to distress or vex her.
Emma Woodhouse was een aantrekkelijke en intelligente jonge dame van zeer goeden huize.
Silly things do cease to be silly if they are done by sensible people in an impudent way.
"I thank you; but I assure you, you are quite mistaken. Mr. Elton and I are very good friends, and nothing more, and she walked on, amusing herself in the consideration of the blunders which often arise from a partial knowledge of circumstances, of the mistakes which people of high pretensions to judgment are for every falling into..." (Emma)
"I always deserve the best treatment because I never put up with any other."
Seldom, very seldom, does complete truth belong to any human disclosure.
I have seen a great many lists of her drawing up at various times of books that she meant to read regularly through--and very good books they were--very well chosen and very neatly arranged--sometimes alphabetically and sometimes by some other rule.

Emma is perhaps too accustomed to thinking of herself as the queen of her genteel Surrey village. Petted by her invalidish father and her former governess, idolised by old Mrs Bates and her garrulous, good-hearted daughter, she finds only Mr Knightley ready - too ready - to criticise her. He deprecates her schemes for the pretty foundling Harriet and her coolness towards the elegant, reserved Jane Fairfax. And, unaccountably, he seems to disapprove of the handsome Frank Churchill... With cheerful self-confidence Emma interferes in the lives and loves of all her circle. A plot as intricate as a classic detective story leaves the reader as astonished as its heroine when the true state of affairs is revealed. She arrives, almost too late, at a self-knowledge which humbles her considerably. This masterpiece of social observation and comic plotting offers inexhaustible pleasure, laughter and enlightenment.
Mix-match my neighbors
Cutest narcissist am I
Don't listen to me
(citygirl)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0141439580, Paperback)

Of all Jane Austen's heroines, Emma Woodhouse is the most flawed, the most infuriating, and, in the end, the most endearing. Pride and Prejudice's Lizzie Bennet has more wit and sparkle; Catherine Morland in Northanger Abbey more imagination; and Sense and Sensibility's Elinor Dashwood certainly more sense--but Emma is lovable precisely because she is so imperfect. Austen only completed six novels in her lifetime, of which five feature young women whose chances for making a good marriage depend greatly on financial issues, and whose prospects if they fail are rather grim. Emma is the exception: "Emma Woodhouse, handsome, clever, and rich, with a comfortable home and happy disposition seemed to unite some of the best blessings of existence; and had lived nearly twenty-one years in the world with very little to distress or vex her." One may be tempted to wonder what Austen could possibly find to say about so fortunate a character. The answer is, quite a lot.

For Emma, raised to think well of herself, has such a high opinion of her own worth that it blinds her to the opinions of others. The story revolves around a comedy of errors: Emma befriends Harriet Smith, a young woman of unknown parentage, and attempts to remake her in her own image. Ignoring the gaping difference in their respective fortunes and stations in life, Emma convinces herself and her friend that Harriet should look as high as Emma herself might for a husband--and she zeroes in on an ambitious vicar as the perfect match. At the same time, she reads too much into a flirtation with Frank Churchill, the newly arrived son of family friends, and thoughtlessly starts a rumor about poor but beautiful Jane Fairfax, the beloved niece of two genteelly impoverished elderly ladies in the village. As Emma's fantastically misguided schemes threaten to surge out of control, the voice of reason is provided by Mr. Knightly, the Woodhouse's longtime friend and neighbor. Though Austen herself described Emma as "a heroine whom no one but myself will much like," she endowed her creation with enough charm to see her through her most egregious behavior, and the saving grace of being able to learn from her mistakes. By the end of the novel Harriet, Frank, and Jane are all properly accounted for, Emma is wiser (though certainly not sadder), and the reader has had the satisfaction of enjoying Jane Austen at the height of her powers. --Alix Wilber

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:16 -0400)

Emma Woodhouse is one of Austen's most captivating and vivid characters. Beautiful, spoilt, vain and irrepressibly witty, Emma organizes the lives of the inhabitants of her sleepy little village and plays matchmaker with devastating effect.

4 2014
5 1991

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439580, 0141028092, 0143106465, 0141199520

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909175951, 1909175315

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,726,061 books! | Top bar: Always visible