Emma (Penguin Classics) by Jane Austen

Emma (Penguin Classics) (original 1815; edition 2003)

by Jane Austen

23,22330648 (4.09)1 / 1165
Member:Hermyoni
Title:Emma (Penguin Classics)
Authors:Jane Austen
Info:Penguin Classics (2003), Paperback, 512 pages

Emma by Jane Austen (1815)

Unread books (1,103)
    Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Flora is very clearly modeled on Emma.
    Mary Barton by Elizabeth Gaskell (kara.shamy)
    kara.shamy: In some ways the heroines in these two novels are alike, but they are very different in other respects, and more strikingly, their respective journeys to the altar/married life go in diametrically opposite ways, in a sense! Both are true classics in my estimation; reading these two novels exposes the reader to two of the greatest English-language novelists of all time in the height of their respective powers. While all readers and critics do not and will not share this superlative view, few would dispute these are two early female masters of the form and are well worth a read on that humbler basis ;) Enjoy!… (more)
    The Makioka Sisters by Junichiro Tanizaki (Sarasamsara)
    Sarasamsara: Like Austen's novels, The Makioka Sisters traces the daily lives and romances of an upper-class family-- the only difference is that this is pre-war Japan, not Regency England. Like in one of Austen's works, when you close the novel you feel like you are closing the door on someone's life.… (more)
    Miss Marjoribanks by Mrs. Oliphant (nessreader)
    nessreader: Both Emma and Miss M are about ambitious, capable upper class women who can only express themselves as social hostesses. Both heroines are managing and bossy - Miss M, a generation younger, is played more for laughs, but there is a strong parallel. And both end in utter satisfaction for heroine and reader alike.… (more)
    The Scandal of the Season: A Novel by Sophie Gee (SandSing7)
    The Victorian Governess by Kathryn Hughes (susanbooks)
    susanbooks: Though Austen is writing before the Victorian age, Hughes' book helps give an idea of the kind of life Jane Fairfax was facing.
    The Espressologist by Kristina Springer (dizzyweasel)
    dizzyweasel: Adorable remake of Emma, set in a coffeehouse with a matchmaking barista.
    Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy (roby72)

English (288)  Swedish (3)  Spanish (3)  Italian (2)  French (2)  German (1)  Norwegian (1)  Finnish (1)  Lithuanian (1)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (305)
Not my favourite of Austen's books, certainly, and I cannot see the attraction in the eponymous heroine. Furthermore, the book feels terribly over-long, and when the big reveal arrives, as it does in all of Austen's fiction, it is particularly unsurprising. ( )
  soylentgreen23 | Nov 8, 2014 |
Reading Austen can be a challenging thing in these modern times. Living in a world where visual entertainment is king and pretty much anything can be said in print, the florid language and social propriety of an Austen novel can leave some readers struggling and in some instances exhausted!

That’s not to say our club disliked Emma (per se). There were those who found delight within the many pages and, as most lovers of Austen do, found themselves totally ensconced within the social whirlwind of the early 1800s. And although not everyone had managed to finish, there was determination amongst the ranks to do so.
We had a great discussion on the Regency era and the importance of social standing, the class system and the all-important family lineage. We all felt Austen’s writing was clever in its orderly and efficient depicting of life among the gentile. And in a world where fictional entertainment was confined to either the theatre or the novel, her stories played an important role in the literature of the day.
So, the general opinion was that, as a book club, ticking an Austen novel off our to-read list was an imperative. The fact that we found both pleasure and a new found respect for the classics made this month’s read more than worth our while. ( )
  DaptoLibrary | Oct 20, 2014 |
Mr Knightley > Mr Darcy. Discuss. ( )
  humblewomble | Oct 19, 2014 |
5/6/14
Love this book so much more the second time around. When I was 16 I thought Emma was silly and even a little slow. Ha! Definitely did not understand this book then. Now I think it fairly genius. Jane Austen really mastered subtleties in writing.

4/21/14
Read this for the first time in March 2003. Revisited it in college. Recently tried to read it "in the background", which resulted in half the book over more than a year - silly. So I'm starting over and hope to read it in a week. ( )
  GraceZ | Sep 6, 2014 |
As with all of Jane Austen's work, it's clearly a good book. I read it before a few years back, and I distinctly remember reviewing it in my Lit Crit class in college 40 years ago. I'll do an in-depth review of the antics of Miss Woodhouse in my blog. It deserves, most definitely, it's rating as a popular classic. ( )
  mreed61 | Aug 10, 2014 |

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is replied to in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Emma (1948TVIMDb)
Emma Woodhouse, handsome, clever, and rich, with a comfortable home and happy disposition, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of existence; and had lived nearly twenty-one years in the world with very little to distress or vex her.
Emma Woodhouse was een aantrekkelijke en intelligente jonge dame van zeer goeden huize.
Silly things do cease to be silly if they are done by sensible people in an impudent way.
"I thank you; but I assure you, you are quite mistaken. Mr. Elton and I are very good friends, and nothing more, and she walked on, amusing herself in the consideration of the blunders which often arise from a partial knowledge of circumstances, of the mistakes which people of high pretensions to judgment are for every falling into..." (Emma)
"I always deserve the best treatment because I never put up with any other."
Seldom, very seldom, does complete truth belong to any human disclosure.
I have seen a great many lists of her drawing up at various times of books that she meant to read regularly through--and very good books they were--very well chosen and very neatly arranged--sometimes alphabetically and sometimes by some other rule.

Emma is perhaps too accustomed to thinking of herself as the queen of her genteel Surrey village. Petted by her invalidish father and her former governess, idolised by old Mrs Bates and her garrulous, good-hearted daughter, she finds only Mr Knightley ready - too ready - to criticise her. He deprecates her schemes for the pretty foundling Harriet and her coolness towards the elegant, reserved Jane Fairfax. And, unaccountably, he seems to disapprove of the handsome Frank Churchill... With cheerful self-confidence Emma interferes in the lives and loves of all her circle. A plot as intricate as a classic detective story leaves the reader as astonished as its heroine when the true state of affairs is revealed. She arrives, almost too late, at a self-knowledge which humbles her considerably. This masterpiece of social observation and comic plotting offers inexhaustible pleasure, laughter and enlightenment.
Mix-match my neighbors
Cutest narcissist am I
Don't listen to me
(citygirl)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0141439580, Paperback)

Of all Jane Austen's heroines, Emma Woodhouse is the most flawed, the most infuriating, and, in the end, the most endearing. Pride and Prejudice's Lizzie Bennet has more wit and sparkle; Catherine Morland in Northanger Abbey more imagination; and Sense and Sensibility's Elinor Dashwood certainly more sense--but Emma is lovable precisely because she is so imperfect. Austen only completed six novels in her lifetime, of which five feature young women whose chances for making a good marriage depend greatly on financial issues, and whose prospects if they fail are rather grim. Emma is the exception: "Emma Woodhouse, handsome, clever, and rich, with a comfortable home and happy disposition seemed to unite some of the best blessings of existence; and had lived nearly twenty-one years in the world with very little to distress or vex her." One may be tempted to wonder what Austen could possibly find to say about so fortunate a character. The answer is, quite a lot.

For Emma, raised to think well of herself, has such a high opinion of her own worth that it blinds her to the opinions of others. The story revolves around a comedy of errors: Emma befriends Harriet Smith, a young woman of unknown parentage, and attempts to remake her in her own image. Ignoring the gaping difference in their respective fortunes and stations in life, Emma convinces herself and her friend that Harriet should look as high as Emma herself might for a husband--and she zeroes in on an ambitious vicar as the perfect match. At the same time, she reads too much into a flirtation with Frank Churchill, the newly arrived son of family friends, and thoughtlessly starts a rumor about poor but beautiful Jane Fairfax, the beloved niece of two genteelly impoverished elderly ladies in the village. As Emma's fantastically misguided schemes threaten to surge out of control, the voice of reason is provided by Mr. Knightly, the Woodhouse's longtime friend and neighbor. Though Austen herself described Emma as "a heroine whom no one but myself will much like," she endowed her creation with enough charm to see her through her most egregious behavior, and the saving grace of being able to learn from her mistakes. By the end of the novel Harriet, Frank, and Jane are all properly accounted for, Emma is wiser (though certainly not sadder), and the reader has had the satisfaction of enjoying Jane Austen at the height of her powers. --Alix Wilber

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:16 -0400)

Emma Woodhouse is one of Austen's most captivating and vivid characters. Beautiful, spoilt, vain and irrepressibly witty, Emma organizes the lives of the inhabitants of her sleepy little village and plays matchmaker with devastating effect.

4 1980
5 1963

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439580, 0141028092, 0143106465, 0141199520

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909175951, 1909175315

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,455,383 books! | Top bar: Always visible