Emma by Jane Austen

Emma (original 1815; edition 1957)

by Jane Austen

23,76732245 (4.09)1 / 1238
Member:xeriscaper
Title:Emma
Authors:Jane Austen
Info:Boston, Houghton Mifflin [1957] xxvi, 381 p. 21 cm.

Emma by Jane Austen (1815)

Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Flora is very clearly modeled on Emma.
    The Makioka Sisters by Junichiro Tanizaki (Sarasamsara)
    Sarasamsara: Like Austen's novels, The Makioka Sisters traces the daily lives and romances of an upper-class family-- the only difference is that this is pre-war Japan, not Regency England. Like in one of Austen's works, when you close the novel you feel like you are closing the door on someone's life.… (more)
    Miss Marjoribanks by Margaret Oliphant (nessreader)
    nessreader: Both Emma and Miss M are about ambitious, capable upper class women who can only express themselves as social hostesses. Both heroines are managing and bossy - Miss M, a generation younger, is played more for laughs, but there is a strong parallel. And both end in utter satisfaction for heroine and reader alike.… (more)
    Mary Barton by Elizabeth Gaskell (kara.shamy)
    kara.shamy: In some ways the heroines in these two novels are alike, but they are very different in other respects, and more strikingly, their respective journeys to the altar/married life go in diametrically opposite ways, in a sense! Both are true classics in my estimation; reading these two novels exposes the reader to two of the greatest English-language novelists of all time in the height of their respective powers. While all readers and critics do not and will not share this superlative view, few would dispute these are two early female masters of the form and are well worth a read on that humbler basis ;) Enjoy!… (more)
    The Scandal of the Season: A Novel by Sophie Gee (SandSing7)
    The Victorian Governess by Kathryn Hughes (susanbooks)
    susanbooks: Though Austen is writing before the Victorian age, Hughes' book helps give an idea of the kind of life Jane Fairfax was facing.
    The Espressologist by Kristina Springer (dizzyweasel)
    dizzyweasel: Adorable remake of Emma, set in a coffeehouse with a matchmaking barista.
    Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy (roby72)
Unread books (1,151)

English (302)  Spanish (4)  Swedish (3)  French (2)  Italian (2)  German (1)  Norwegian (1)  Finnish (1)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Lithuanian (1)  All languages (320)
The usual Austin ending ( )
  Mohamed80 | Jul 11, 2015 |
If books can grow on you - this one did. It started as something quite unsubstantial, especially in plot (not in style), compared to a more dramatic book I read just prior to this one. But I slowly got in with the story and the mindset of its protagonist, Emma - the great manipulator at first glance, but a little more insecure person when one reads deeper. Her character proves how even the shrewdest of us can never totally depend on our intuitive perception of reality.

Jane Austen, as always, is very keen in describing the quirks and the essence of that particular layer of society of her days. One thing that still makes me smile (though not with much disapproval or anything like that...) is the fact how important it was in those circles for a person to be "agreeable". One just HAD to be "agreeable" to be included in certain company.

The plot was not without its surprises, but there was a degree of predictability (thanks to the author's hints throughout the book) of Emma's true feelings for Mr.Knightley. All in all, to me, this novel cannot equal "Sense and Sensibility" (which I adored) but it was an amusing sort of read. ( )
1 vote Clara53 | Jul 2, 2015 |
I tried to read Jane Austen (Pride & Prejudice) before and just could not get into it. I wanted to give her another try (as I was gifted a beautiful set of her books) and decided on Emma since it was on a few feminist book list. Emma was great! I loved the characters, could get a good grasp of them all by their dialogue. Although it is during a time I know very little about the characters were still relatable. Emma especially was a good character because she does have faults and beliefs of her own and does not compromise them. I enjoyed the plot, it had a mystery feel trying to find out who was in love with who. The last few chapters were amazing and I was very satisfied with the ending. My only annoyance with the book is rich people whining about rich people problems, it can get annoying how judgmental thee characters are and the classism, but it was a different time, keeping that in mind it makes sense. Can definitely see why Emma is such a classic and a good example of early feminism.
  GrlIntrrptdRdng | May 14, 2015 |
Não se lê tão rápida ou facilmente quanto Orgulho e Preconceito. Emma Woodhouse, a jovem socialite do título, não tem dificuldades de relacionamento, é bonita, rica, popular, razoavelmente inteligente, de humor inteligente e espirituoso. mas uma pessoa até certo ponto desfrutável: casamenteira demais, com complexo de Cupido. É mimada pelo pai, adulada pela sociedade e amada pelos amigos, por tudo isso não quer nem acredita que precise de envolvimentos amorosos, muito menos casar-se. Com esta heroína imperfeita e charmosa, o romance arrasta-se um pouco, mas combina verve e um divertido elenco de personagens, que tornam a leitura agradável. ( )
  jgcorrea | Apr 24, 2015 |
Oh, Jane. How I love reading her works. I think Emma’s character sometimes gets a bad wrap for being such a meddling goody-goody. However, I think she’s charming. As do many of Austen’s works, this one includes a “lesson” and throughout the novel, we see Emma grow in character. Austin’s characters are so fabulous… especially the over-the-top ones such as Mrs. Elton. She makes them so real. Every time Mr. Woodhouse says something in his worried manner about the draft or something of the sort, as a reader I just smile, and think, oh, that’s so like Mr. Woodhouse. How does she do that? Good writing, that’s how. People just don’t write like this anymore. Sigh.

Would I recommend this to my BFF? Of course!
Would I recommend this to my teen daughter? Yes. I have tried getting her into Austen. We’ve watched several of the movie adaptations of the books (I know — the horror!) but it’s still hard for her to get into the books still because of the language. I’m hoping as she continues to develop as a reader, the old English won’t be such a deterrent for her. ( )
  lauraodom | Apr 16, 2015 |

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is replied to in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Emma (1948TVIMDb)
Emma Woodhouse, handsome, clever, and rich, with a comfortable home and happy disposition, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of existence; and had lived nearly twenty-one years in the world with very little to distress or vex her.
Emma Woodhouse was een aantrekkelijke en intelligente jonge dame van zeer goeden huize.
Silly things do cease to be silly if they are done by sensible people in an impudent way.
"I thank you; but I assure you, you are quite mistaken. Mr. Elton and I are very good friends, and nothing more, and she walked on, amusing herself in the consideration of the blunders which often arise from a partial knowledge of circumstances, of the mistakes which people of high pretensions to judgment are for every falling into..." (Emma)
"I always deserve the best treatment because I never put up with any other."
Seldom, very seldom, does complete truth belong to any human disclosure.
I have seen a great many lists of her drawing up at various times of books that she meant to read regularly through--and very good books they were--very well chosen and very neatly arranged--sometimes alphabetically and sometimes by some other rule.

Emma is perhaps too accustomed to thinking of herself as the queen of her genteel Surrey village. Petted by her invalidish father and her former governess, idolised by old Mrs Bates and her garrulous, good-hearted daughter, she finds only Mr Knightley ready - too ready - to criticise her. He deprecates her schemes for the pretty foundling Harriet and her coolness towards the elegant, reserved Jane Fairfax. And, unaccountably, he seems to disapprove of the handsome Frank Churchill... With cheerful self-confidence Emma interferes in the lives and loves of all her circle. A plot as intricate as a classic detective story leaves the reader as astonished as its heroine when the true state of affairs is revealed. She arrives, almost too late, at a self-knowledge which humbles her considerably. This masterpiece of social observation and comic plotting offers inexhaustible pleasure, laughter and enlightenment.
Mix-match my neighbors
Cutest narcissist am I
Don't listen to me
(citygirl)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0141439580, Paperback)

Of all Jane Austen's heroines, Emma Woodhouse is the most flawed, the most infuriating, and, in the end, the most endearing. Pride and Prejudice's Lizzie Bennet has more wit and sparkle; Catherine Morland in Northanger Abbey more imagination; and Sense and Sensibility's Elinor Dashwood certainly more sense--but Emma is lovable precisely because she is so imperfect. Austen only completed six novels in her lifetime, of which five feature young women whose chances for making a good marriage depend greatly on financial issues, and whose prospects if they fail are rather grim. Emma is the exception: "Emma Woodhouse, handsome, clever, and rich, with a comfortable home and happy disposition seemed to unite some of the best blessings of existence; and had lived nearly twenty-one years in the world with very little to distress or vex her." One may be tempted to wonder what Austen could possibly find to say about so fortunate a character. The answer is, quite a lot.

For Emma, raised to think well of herself, has such a high opinion of her own worth that it blinds her to the opinions of others. The story revolves around a comedy of errors: Emma befriends Harriet Smith, a young woman of unknown parentage, and attempts to remake her in her own image. Ignoring the gaping difference in their respective fortunes and stations in life, Emma convinces herself and her friend that Harriet should look as high as Emma herself might for a husband--and she zeroes in on an ambitious vicar as the perfect match. At the same time, she reads too much into a flirtation with Frank Churchill, the newly arrived son of family friends, and thoughtlessly starts a rumor about poor but beautiful Jane Fairfax, the beloved niece of two genteelly impoverished elderly ladies in the village. As Emma's fantastically misguided schemes threaten to surge out of control, the voice of reason is provided by Mr. Knightly, the Woodhouse's longtime friend and neighbor. Though Austen herself described Emma as "a heroine whom no one but myself will much like," she endowed her creation with enough charm to see her through her most egregious behavior, and the saving grace of being able to learn from her mistakes. By the end of the novel Harriet, Frank, and Jane are all properly accounted for, Emma is wiser (though certainly not sadder), and the reader has had the satisfaction of enjoying Jane Austen at the height of her powers. --Alix Wilber

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:02 -0400)

Emma Woodhouse is one of Austen's most captivating and vivid characters. Beautiful, spoilt, vain and irrepressibly witty, Emma organizes the lives of the inhabitants of her sleepy little village and plays matchmaker with devastating effect.

4 2030
5 2015

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439580, 0141028092, 0143106465, 0141199520

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909175951, 1909175315

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,444,229 books! | Top bar: Always visible