Emma (Portuguese Edition) by Jane Austen

Emma (Portuguese Edition) (original 1815; edition 2011)

by Jane Austen

Info:Editorial Medí (2011), Kindle Edition, 434 pages
Collections:Your library, Kindle
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, classics, kindle

Emma by Jane Austen (1815)

Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Flora is very clearly modeled on Emma.
    Miss Marjoribanks by Mrs. Oliphant (nessreader)
    nessreader: Both Emma and Miss M are about ambitious, capable upper class women who can only express themselves as social hostesses. Both heroines are managing and bossy - Miss M, a generation younger, is played more for laughs, but there is a strong parallel. And both end in utter satisfaction for heroine and reader alike.… (more)
    The Makioka Sisters by Junichiro Tanizaki (Sarasamsara)
    Sarasamsara: Like Austen's novels, The Makioka Sisters traces the daily lives and romances of an upper-class family-- the only difference is that this is pre-war Japan, not Regency England. Like in one of Austen's works, when you close the novel you feel like you are closing the door on someone's life.… (more)
    Mary Barton by Elizabeth Gaskell (kara.shamy)
    kara.shamy: In some ways the heroines in these two novels are alike, but they are very different in other respects, and more strikingly, their respective journeys to the altar/married life go in diametrically opposite ways, in a sense! Both are true classics in my estimation; reading these two novels exposes the reader to two of the greatest English-language novelists of all time in the height of their respective powers. While all readers and critics do not and will not share this superlative view, few would dispute these are two early female masters of the form and are well worth a read on that humbler basis ;) Enjoy!… (more)
    The Scandal of the Season: A Novel by Sophie Gee (SandSing7)
    The Victorian Governess by Kathryn Hughes (susanbooks)
    susanbooks: Though Austen is writing before the Victorian age, Hughes' book helps give an idea of the kind of life Jane Fairfax was facing.
    The Espressologist by Kristina Springer (dizzyweasel)
    dizzyweasel: Adorable remake of Emma, set in a coffeehouse with a matchmaking barista.
    To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (sturlington)
    Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy (roby72)
Unread books (1,039)

English (295)  Swedish (3)  Spanish (3)  Italian (2)  French (2)  German (1)  Norwegian (1)  Finnish (1)  Lithuanian (1)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (312)
Third Jane Austen book down this year! Sadly, this one falls short of Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility for me. Emma had a much slower plot and I thought it was insanely predictable. Don't get me wrong, it's still a good read and I enjoyed all the banter and classic "mishaps" that Jane Austen's characters got themselves into, it's just not my favorite. Emma is an independent, fanciful young woman. She lives with her father and loves to play matchmaker amongst her friends. As new residents come into their English country village, Emma finds that she may have taken things a little too far. Minding one's own business seems to be the best course of action. Although not my favorite, still worth a read. ( )
  ecataldi | Mar 3, 2015 |
This review and others posted over at my blog.

From Amazon: Beautiful, clever, rich – and single – Emma Woodhouse is perfectly content with her life and sees no need for either love or marriage. Nothing, however, delights her more than interfering in the romantic lives of others. But when she ignores the warnings of her good friend Mr Knightley and attempts to arrange a suitable match for her protégée Harriet Smith, her carefully laid plans soon unravel and have consequences that she never expected.

What I liked:
This is the first time readers are given a heroine who is well-off. I don’t think that the Bennets or the Dashwoods were meant to be shown as truly poor, because they probably never would have married as well, but maybe middle class. But Emma Woodhouse is very well off and isn’t a heroine that’s striving to be part of the upper echelon (even if it’s just to take care of her family) like we’ve seen before. She doesn’t even desire to marry, which felt refreshing. Other Austen heroines do seem to strive for a little something better, and I like to see them achieve that, but Emma has everything she needs in life and would rather see others happily married than herself. I like Emma as a character – she’s confident (maybe overly so), lively, and talented, and watching her matchmaking schemes unfold was amusing.

There seemed to be more over-the-top characters in this book. Mr. Woodhouse, the Eltons, Miss Bates, Harriet, and Mrs. Churchill. Miss Bates was especially ridiculous, with her never-ending speeches. I think we’ve all met someone like that before – you can hardly get a word in edgewise and if you do it’s ignored, because they simply want to talk about themselves or what they know. At one point, Emma says something rather cutting to Miss Bates about all the stupid things she says, and while it was mean, there was a bit of justification. After having to read through so many pages worth of her nattering, I had a little “oooh burn!” moment. Don’t we all want to tell someone off? It was less passive aggressive than most of Jane’s insults, so it felt fresh.

Emma grows as a character and begins to notice her faults as a matchmaker after repeated blunders. She’s a bit of a silly girl as the book begins, and it was nice to see her mature by the end. Her relationship with Mr. Knightley was different too – most heroines happen to meet the man they marry at a party or something, and then develop a relationship from there. Emma and Knightley have grown up together and are already fast friends when we’re introduced to them.

What I didn’t like:
At first I had a hard time keeping track of the characters. There seemed to be so many more “main” characters in this book than any other Austen book I’ve read. There 5 main couples in this book, plus additional characters like Mr. Woodhouse, and Mrs. and Miss Bates. I actually went on wikipedia to look up who some characters were, because they were being mentioned in the book, yet with no detailed information on who they were, leading me to believe I had missed something. They were later introduced to readers, but I feel it would have been more helpful to have that information early on.

Also, Miss Bates drove me up a wall. I know that was intentional, but her monologues were so boring that I ended up skipping over most of them – if she actually said anything important to the plot, I missed it.

~

Overall, Emma is another enjoyable Austen novel. Now that I’ve read all her completed novels, I can say that I don’t dislike any. Pride and Prejudice is still (and always will be) my favorite. I think maybe Sense and Sensibility and Emma rank equally for second place, with Mansfield Park and Persuasion in third. I’m not sure where I class Northanger Abbey – as when I read it, I just didn’t understand what she was going for. I have a better understanding of the plot and her intentions now, and I think if I read it again, it would be right up there with Emma. ( )
  MillieHennessy | Feb 28, 2015 |
Probably one of the most accessible Austen’s brings my reading of her works to a close.

Emma wasn’t too bad actually. Of course, there’s the usual love triangle and convoluted misunderstandings of intent. But with a smaller range of characters than some of her others, I found this to be much easier to follow. The characters were more memorable for that too.

The eponymous heroine is of course stubborn, proud and can’t spot the obvious when it lives, walks and breathes right in front of her. But she loves assuming that everyone else around her has exactly that problem and tries her best to help them out. Occasionally these episodes, particularly with Harriet, have faintly amusing consequences.

I welcomed the focus on one particular character after all the rest of her novels spread the character development across a range of them. But it confirmed (again!) that Austen is one-trick pony. It’s a good trick if you like it, but it’s a bit yawn-worthy otherwise, much like Wilbur Smith or Dan Brown.

If you’ve never tried Austen before though, Emma would be a good starting point. ( )
  arukiyomi | Feb 27, 2015 |
I always thought I wasn't an Austen fan, but Emma made me rethink my position. Far more engaging than Pride and Prejudice, imo. ( )
  jwarbler | Feb 20, 2015 |
After a bit of a disappointment with Mansfield Park it was back to excellent Austen with Emma, which I enjoyed thoroughly. Complex characters, some excellent moments of humor, and beautiful writing. What more can you ask for? ( )
  JBD1 | Feb 18, 2015 |

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is replied to in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Emma (1948TVIMDb)
Emma Woodhouse, handsome, clever, and rich, with a comfortable home and happy disposition, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of existence; and had lived nearly twenty-one years in the world with very little to distress or vex her.
Emma Woodhouse was een aantrekkelijke en intelligente jonge dame van zeer goeden huize.
Silly things do cease to be silly if they are done by sensible people in an impudent way.
"I thank you; but I assure you, you are quite mistaken. Mr. Elton and I are very good friends, and nothing more, and she walked on, amusing herself in the consideration of the blunders which often arise from a partial knowledge of circumstances, of the mistakes which people of high pretensions to judgment are for every falling into..." (Emma)
"I always deserve the best treatment because I never put up with any other."
Seldom, very seldom, does complete truth belong to any human disclosure.
I have seen a great many lists of her drawing up at various times of books that she meant to read regularly through--and very good books they were--very well chosen and very neatly arranged--sometimes alphabetically and sometimes by some other rule.

Emma is perhaps too accustomed to thinking of herself as the queen of her genteel Surrey village. Petted by her invalidish father and her former governess, idolised by old Mrs Bates and her garrulous, good-hearted daughter, she finds only Mr Knightley ready - too ready - to criticise her. He deprecates her schemes for the pretty foundling Harriet and her coolness towards the elegant, reserved Jane Fairfax. And, unaccountably, he seems to disapprove of the handsome Frank Churchill... With cheerful self-confidence Emma interferes in the lives and loves of all her circle. A plot as intricate as a classic detective story leaves the reader as astonished as its heroine when the true state of affairs is revealed. She arrives, almost too late, at a self-knowledge which humbles her considerably. This masterpiece of social observation and comic plotting offers inexhaustible pleasure, laughter and enlightenment.
Mix-match my neighbors
Cutest narcissist am I
Don't listen to me
(citygirl)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0141439580, Paperback)

Of all Jane Austen's heroines, Emma Woodhouse is the most flawed, the most infuriating, and, in the end, the most endearing. Pride and Prejudice's Lizzie Bennet has more wit and sparkle; Catherine Morland in Northanger Abbey more imagination; and Sense and Sensibility's Elinor Dashwood certainly more sense--but Emma is lovable precisely because she is so imperfect. Austen only completed six novels in her lifetime, of which five feature young women whose chances for making a good marriage depend greatly on financial issues, and whose prospects if they fail are rather grim. Emma is the exception: "Emma Woodhouse, handsome, clever, and rich, with a comfortable home and happy disposition seemed to unite some of the best blessings of existence; and had lived nearly twenty-one years in the world with very little to distress or vex her." One may be tempted to wonder what Austen could possibly find to say about so fortunate a character. The answer is, quite a lot.

For Emma, raised to think well of herself, has such a high opinion of her own worth that it blinds her to the opinions of others. The story revolves around a comedy of errors: Emma befriends Harriet Smith, a young woman of unknown parentage, and attempts to remake her in her own image. Ignoring the gaping difference in their respective fortunes and stations in life, Emma convinces herself and her friend that Harriet should look as high as Emma herself might for a husband--and she zeroes in on an ambitious vicar as the perfect match. At the same time, she reads too much into a flirtation with Frank Churchill, the newly arrived son of family friends, and thoughtlessly starts a rumor about poor but beautiful Jane Fairfax, the beloved niece of two genteelly impoverished elderly ladies in the village. As Emma's fantastically misguided schemes threaten to surge out of control, the voice of reason is provided by Mr. Knightly, the Woodhouse's longtime friend and neighbor. Though Austen herself described Emma as "a heroine whom no one but myself will much like," she endowed her creation with enough charm to see her through her most egregious behavior, and the saving grace of being able to learn from her mistakes. By the end of the novel Harriet, Frank, and Jane are all properly accounted for, Emma is wiser (though certainly not sadder), and the reader has had the satisfaction of enjoying Jane Austen at the height of her powers. --Alix Wilber

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:16 -0400)

Emma Woodhouse is one of Austen's most captivating and vivid characters. Beautiful, spoilt, vain and irrepressibly witty, Emma organizes the lives of the inhabitants of her sleepy little village and plays matchmaker with devastating effect.

4 2003
5 1990

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439580, 0141028092, 0143106465, 0141199520

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909175951, 1909175315

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,169,315 books! | Top bar: Always visible