The Kingdom of Carbonel by Barbara Sleigh

The Kingdom of Carbonel (1960)

by Barbara Sleigh

Series: Carbonel (2)

I am so glad this trilogy has been re-issued. A lovely story involving cats and witches and invisibility and nefarious plots against the King. What I never noticed ages ago is that the side plots are just as delightful as the main. The chemist is a dear, and the pets in the shop are hilarious. I'm glad to have revisited this, and am looking forward to Carbonel and Calidor, which I don't remember at all. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
Charming, with just enough old fashioned adventure. (Plus, Z is convinced that the king might have diabetes - hence the name - Carb/onel.) ( )
  beckydj | Mar 31, 2013 |
Almost as good as the first book in the trilogy. This one had slightly more action, though it took a while to get started. And many more loveable cats. Though, sadly, not as many loveable human characters (there are still some though). I love how she does different regionalisms for different characters, but there was less of that in this book. ( )
  JimmyChanga | Jul 13, 2010 |
This is the second volume in the middle grade-level Carbonel series. I last read it was a library copy about 15 years ago.

A year after setting Carbonel free from a witch's spell, teenagers Rosemary and John reunite to spend the summer together. To their delight, King Carbonel returns. After going to a pharmacist for a special prescription, the two drink an elixir and can hear Carbonel again--and all the other animals and insects around. Carbonel has a special request. He must leave for a meeting of kings, and he's concerned about the well-being of his two young kittens. Rosemary and John agree to tend them, but soon enough trouble merges. Carbonel's old witch is up to mischief again, this time plotting with the ambitious cat-queen of a neighboring city. The two children must do everything they can to save the kittens and keep Cat Country from falling into outright war.

This book is as charming as I remembered. It's so delightfully British, full of eccentric characters with magic revealing itself in unexpected ways. I'm so grateful that these books were finally reprinted! Mind you, it does feel dated in some ways (this second book was published in 1960) but that's all part of its charm. ( )
2 vote ladycato | May 15, 2010 |
Rosemary Brown picked a stick of rhubarb from the end of the garden and, taking care not to spill the sugar in the saucer she was carrying, bent herself double and crept between the currant bushes.

John had come to stay with Rosemary, and Carbonel King of the Cats needed help, to guard his two royal kittens while he was away from his kingdom, and so of course he turned to his old companions John and Rosemary.

"Once every seven years," said Carbonel, "I and my royal brothers are summoned to the presence of The Great Cat. Every city in the world where there are cats has a king to rule over them, just as I rule over Fallowhithe. But whatever the colour, whatever the kind, when the Summons comes we must all answer."

Of course John and Rosemary were proud to be entrusted with the kittens - but it was a difficult job with such high-spirited youngsters, especially with Queen Grisana of Broomhurst aided by Mrs Cantrip ever on the watch to trap the kittens and invade Fallowhithe - but they hardly expected it to lead to adventures like John's becoming invisible (a hungry state, he found, as he could hardly turn up for meals when Rosemary's mother couldn't see him) or being run away with by a very dim-witted magic rocking chair, and stranded all night on top of the tallest building in Fallowhithe.

While Carbonel, the king of cats, is answering the summons of the great cat, friends John and Rosemary strive to protect the kingdom and guard Prince Calidor and Princess Pergamond from Grisana and her nasty crew.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,321,188 books! | Top bar: Always visible