Wonderful Tonight: George Harrison, Eric…

Wonderful Tonight: George Harrison, Eric Clapton, and Me (2007)

by Pattie Boyd

This book is so boring! How is that possible? You would think that the woman that inspired songs like the Beatles' "Something" and Derrick and the Dominos' "Layla" would be dynamic. Truth is she is dull as dishwater and conceited in the manner of the 8th grade queen bee. Also, every time she starts to discuss something interesting she quickly moves to a new topic without finishing the story. Less egregious is her silly exploration of her spiritual enlightenment when it turns out she is about as introspective as a marmot. No one who ever thinks about anything could consistently make the worst life decisions of anyone to ever walk the earth. She must be really good in bed. ( )
  Narshkite | Nov 19, 2013 |
Actually, after 100 pages of photo shoots, food items and the like, I gave up. There may be somethings worth reading in here, but I lost patience--if I could give this no stars, I would. ( )
  nmele | Apr 6, 2013 |
Well done, honest, gives a glimpse of life in the 60's when Beatlemania started. ( )
  latorreliliana | Oct 20, 2011 |
I enjoyed this rock insider's view by Pattie Boyd, married first to George Harrison and later Eric Clapton.
No earth shattering revelations, but very interesting to read an account by someone in the inner circle and the inspiration for the songs "Something", "Layla" and "Wonderful Tonight". I don't want to neglect her "me" portions including her African childhood, which I found interesting as well. A page turner. ( )
  cbfiske | Jul 12, 2011 |
Wonderful Tonight is awful. I waited for this book then could not even finish it. ( )
  lotse | Jan 8, 2010 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307407837, Paperback)

A Q&A with Pattie Boyd, Author of Wonderful Tonight Why are you writing the book now? I have been asked for the last 15 years to write a book, and it is only now that I feel the time is right. My confidence in myself was restored after two successful exhibitions of my photography, and it occurred to me that I was finally ready to take a look at the unique experiences of my life and to share them--including all the ups and downs. Tell us about the first time you met George Harrison. Working as a model, I occasionally went for castings, mainly for television commercials. I went for an interview with one of the directors I had worked with in the past, and he cast me in his first movie, A Hard Day’s Night, to play the part of a schoolgirl. When I first saw George on the set, I thought he was the best-looking man I’d ever seen. I was so surprised when he asked me out on a date at the end of my first day of filming. Tell us about the first time you heard George Harrison's song, "Something." George said he had written a song for me, and he played it on the guitar at home without the words. Then when I heard the song after it had been recorded I couldn’t believe how utterly beautiful it was. It was released on a single in October 1969, and I felt so thrilled and flattered. Tell us about the first time you heard Eric Clapton's "Layla." Eric invited me to his band's flat one day and played a rough recording of "Layla" on a cassette recorder. I was sitting on a sofa and he on the floor as it played, and he kept looking up at me for a reaction. I was stunned; the intensity, passion and tenderness came across so strongly--I knew, as he said, it was written for me.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:03 -0400)

An iconic figure of the 1960s and '70s, Pattie Boyd breaks a 40-year silence, telling how she found herself bound to two of the most addictive, promiscuous musical geniuses of the twentieth century. She met the Beatles in 1964 in the cast of A Hard Day's Night. Ten days later George Harrison proposed. For 20-year-old Boyd, it was the beginning of a rich and complex life as she was welcomed into the Beatles' inner circle. She describes the dynamics of the group, and the memories she has of Paul and Linda, Cynthia and John, Ringo and Maureen, and especially the years with her husband, George. Then her turbulent life took another unexpected turn with a passionate letter from Eric Clapton. Now the high-profile model whose face epitomized the swinging London scene of the 1960s, a woman who inspired Harrison's song "Something" and Clapton's anthem "Layla," has wrriten her book.--From publisher description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,094,276 books! | Top bar: Always visible