Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Wonderful Tonight: George Harrison, Eric…

Wonderful Tonight: George Harrison, Eric Clapton, and Me (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Pattie Boyd, Penny Junor

Member:XxRachelxX
Title:Wonderful Tonight: George Harrison, Eric Clapton, and Me
Authors:Pattie Boyd
Other authors:Penny Junor
Info:Three Rivers Press (2008), Paperback, 336 pages
Tags:Autobiography

Wonderful Tonight: George Harrison, Eric Clapton, and Me by Pattie Boyd (2007)

ME Me me and a list of names of people , who, for the most i had no clue who they are......add a schedule of her travels and voila. There's the book. A very surface book, with the occasional interesting opinion. Found myself skipping whole paragraphs.... I AM from the era of Clapton is god and loved George Harrison but what a bunch of self -centered ingrates. Or so it seems. Yes its a bio so it should be all about her but there is a lack of depth i found to be astounding. Again, sorry. ( )
  linda.marsheells | Apr 28, 2019 |
OK, I should say that I'm a bit of a nut about the Beatles, and George Harrison in particular. Also a fan of Clapton. So I expected that this book would be interesting, and when I had the chance to snap it up at a deep discount, I did so.

Mostly, this book is the most superficial treatment imaginable of the people and times it descibes. If you like name-dropping, lists of who attended what party, which drugs were consumed, and who slept with whom, this book is for you. If I didn't know that George Harrison and Eric Clapton were brilliant musicians, I might conclude from this book that they were dilettantes on the order of the rest of the characters described in the book. Those who disagree with me about Harrison's and Clapton's musical talents can draw their own conclusions.

It's not entirely without redeeming qualities, however. Somewhere beneath all the surface glitz, there are occasional honest glimpses of an insecure young woman who is trying to make sense of her milieu. Nowhere is this more poignant than the last page of the epilogue. But rather than read the whole book, I'd recommend skimming a few sections and then going to the end. ( )
  vlodko62 | Dec 29, 2018 |
(Nonfiction, Memoir)

What to make of the woman who inspired Something, Wonderful Tonight, and Layla by rock greats George Harrison and Eric Clapton?
Pattie Boyd was that woman and in this memoir she tells us about herself and what it was like living with these famous musicians in their heyday. Since that music formed the soundtrack of my youth, and that time is still vivid in my memory, I really enjoyed this memoir.

Until, that is, a few weeks after I finished the book I saw a news item that Boyd had married her ‘long-time boyfriend’, who, she many, many, many times told us in the book was nothing more than a friend. In my mind, this called into question the veracity of her entire account.

Make of this what you will; I still enjoyed reading it.

3½ stars ( )
  ParadisePorch | Feb 8, 2018 |
I would have liked a little more dirt and a lot more insight. ( )
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
I must quote a prewritten word here...it says it all
"An iconic figure of the 1960s and ’70s, Pattie Boyd breaks a forty-year silence in Wonderful Tonight , and tells the story of how she found herself bound to two of the most addictive, promiscuous musical geniuses of the twentieth century and became the most famous muse in the history of rock"
>I was pleased to see her emerge from one unfortunate situation after another. ( )
  pennsylady | Jan 22, 2016 |

Pattie Boydprimary authorall editionscalculated
Junor, Pennymain authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307407837, Paperback)

A Q&A with Pattie Boyd, Author of Wonderful Tonight

Why are you writing the book now?

I have been asked for the last 15 years to write a book, and it is only now that I feel the time is right. My confidence in myself was restored after two successful exhibitions of my photography, and it occurred to me that I was finally ready to take a look at the unique experiences of my life and to share them--including all the ups and downs.

Tell us about the first time you met George Harrison.

Working as a model, I occasionally went for castings, mainly for television commercials. I went for an interview with one of the directors I had worked with in the past, and he cast me in his first movie, A Hard Day’s Night, to play the part of a schoolgirl. When I first saw George on the set, I thought he was the best-looking man I’d ever seen. I was so surprised when he asked me out on a date at the end of my first day of filming.

Tell us about the first time you heard George Harrison's song, "Something."

George said he had written a song for me, and he played it on the guitar at home without the words. Then when I heard the song after it had been recorded I couldn’t believe how utterly beautiful it was. It was released on a single in October 1969, and I felt so thrilled and flattered.

Tell us about the first time you heard Eric Clapton's "Layla."

Eric invited me to his band's flat one day and played a rough recording of "Layla" on a cassette recorder. I was sitting on a sofa and he on the floor as it played, and he kept looking up at me for a reaction. I was stunned; the intensity, passion and tenderness came across so strongly--I knew, as he said, it was written for me.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:42 -0400)

An iconic figure of the 1960s and '70s, Pattie Boyd breaks a 40-year silence, telling how she found herself bound to two of the most addictive, promiscuous musical geniuses of the twentieth century. She met the Beatles in 1964 in the cast of A Hard Day's Night. Ten days later George Harrison proposed. For 20-year-old Boyd, it was the beginning of a rich and complex life as she was welcomed into the Beatles' inner circle. She describes the dynamics of the group, and the memories she has of Paul and Linda, Cynthia and John, Ringo and Maureen, and especially the years with her husband, George. Then her turbulent life took another unexpected turn with a passionate letter from Eric Clapton. Now the high-profile model whose face epitomized the swinging London scene of the 1960s, a woman who inspired Harrison's song "Something" and Clapton's anthem "Layla," has wrriten her book.--From publisher description.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,497,188 books! | Top bar: Always visible