The Kid: What Happened After My Boyfriend…

The Kid: What Happened After My Boyfriend and I Decided to Go Get Pregnant

by Dan Savage

I read these books in opposite order, so I'm used to thinking about DJ as an eight year old. It was touching to read the story about how they became a family. As always Dan's writing is initmate, with just the perfect touch of snark --the guy at the cocktail party that you are so glad you ended up next to at the beer tub because his observations about other guests are dead on. ( )
  ErikaWasTaken | Sep 22, 2013 |
Summary: When Dan Savage decided he was ready to be a father, the process was a bit more complicated then for most people. Because Dan is gay, he and his boyfriend Terry were limited in their options for having children. They had had discussions with lesbian friends about fathering a biological child, but in the end, they decided that adoption represented the only practical solution. But in the late '90s, adoption by gay parents was legal in only a handful of states, and even in the liberal and progressive Pacific Northwest, Dan and Terry worried if a birth mom would ever pick a gay couple to raise her child. But as they entered the adoption process, they found that had surprises and challenges and heartbreak and joy in store for them that they never would have anticipated.

Review: I've been a fan of Dan Savage's for a long time. Probably since about the time he published this book, in fact. But prior to this year, I'd only read one of his books. So I knew this book was out there, and knew it was something I'd probably enjoy (despite the fact that memoirs are typically not a favorite genre of mine). I also knew, at least in broad outline, the story of how Dan and Terry adopted DJ, their son. Savage is an advice columnist, focused on the lives of the people asking for advice, so he doesn't talk a lot about his family and his personal life on his blog or in his podcasts. But I'd assimilated enough pieces over time to put together at least a vague idea of the story. The book, of course, goes into a lot more detail than I'd heard before. I think that's one of the things that made this such an interesting reading experience: the fact that it was a memoir, that it was personal, that we get to see inside Dan's everyday life, and see Terry as a person rather than a passing mention.

While the subject matter isn't something that would have made me pick this book up if I hadn't been familiar with the author - gay adoption stories, or even adoption stories in general, aren't something that holds a particular interest for me - I thought The Kid was not only an interesting look into the adoption process, but also an interesting read due to its very clear place in time. I was worried that this book would be dated - DJ, who isn't born until near the end of the book, is now a 15-year-old kid. And it was dated, but in such a way that made me surprisingly happy. So much has changed in the arena of gay rights in the past 15 years; among other things, Savage writes in the book about Terry being his boyfriend (he dislikes the word "partner"), and how he doesn't think that he'll see marriage equality in his lifetime. I was hoping that the audiobook production, which was just recorded this year (well after Terry and Dan were married in Washington state), would include a new foreword or afterword in which Savage addresses some of the changes the past 15 years have wrought. It didn't, sadly, but I suppose I know Savage's opinion well enough from having read his column all this time.

Listening to Savage read this book was a great experience. I didn't have the same problems with The Kid as I did with American Savage - perhaps because it's an older book and Savage has a little more distance on it, or perhaps because it's material that was new to me, but I thought his reading sounded natural and lively but still distinct from the off-the-cuff style of his podcasts. Hearing the story not only from his perspective, but also in his voice, really brought the book to life, and I laughed out loud in quite a few places, but I also surprised myself by tearing up several times - especially since I already knew how the story ended. 4 out of 5 stars.

Recommendation: Unlike American Savage, I think The Kid is perfectly accessible to readers who aren't already fans of Savage's, but who are interested in issues of gay rights, adoption, and/or memoirs with a snarky sense of humor. ( )
1 vote fyrefly98 | Aug 8, 2013 |
I really enjoyed this book. I picked up at work on Saturday and finished it Sunday afternoon. Dan Savage, though a touch sloppy sometimes with his prose, is very readable and entertaining and I enjoyed his account of the open adoption experience. As he does in his advice column, Savage does not hold back on his fears, insecurities and concerns as a gay man embroiled in the very invasive, emotionally taxing process of adoption. I found it refreshing to read such an honest book about the perils and pleasures of starting a family. ( )
1 vote KristySP | Apr 21, 2013 |
Finished this book this morning. I had only 20 pages left and wanted to read so it was the first thing i did. Yes it was a very interesting book. One thing that surprised me was his language. i liked it! Did not expect that from an American writer. lol. It was interesting to see how the open adoption go's and also to read about the gay men's view.
Now I am going to read book 2. so glad Joanna offered this as a 2 offer in the swap I won this.
  Marlene-NL | Apr 12, 2013 |
Amazing - funny, sentimental, and honest. I loved reading it! ( )
  aBohemian1 | Jul 11, 2012 |

Dan Savageprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Savage, DanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0452281768, Paperback)

Best known for his syndicated sexual advice column, "Savage Love," Dan Savage shares his own story in The Kid, a hilarious account of his efforts--along with his partner--to adopt a child. (Whoops, make that his boyfriend; Savage can't stand the "genderless" P-word: "Straight people and press organs that want to acknowledge gay relationships while at the same time pushing the two-penises stuff as far out of their minds as possible love 'partner.' I hated it.") Savage doesn't give an inch on the sexuality issue; it's hard to imagine that a homophobic reader would even pick up The Kid, but if it happened, Savage's unapologetic presentation of his life would quickly scare that reader off. Which isn't to say that he paints a rosy picture of homosexual cohabitation: the very first scene finds Dan's boyfriend, Terry, locking himself in the bathroom after a fight over the music on the car stereo. The misadventures continue through each step of the open-adoption process, in which Dan and Terry get to know their baby's birth mother, and the first few weeks of parenthood. The Kid is a wonderful, charming account of real "family values" that proves love knows no limits.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:23 -0400)

"From Dan Savage, the writer whose sex-advice column, 'Savage Love,' enrages and excites four million people every week, comes the story of his journey into parenthood."--P. [4] of cover.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,302,727 books! | Top bar: Always visible