The Door by Margaret Atwood

The Door (2007)

by Margaret Atwood

The first anthology of poetry in more than a decade from the renowned author of The Handmaid's Tale features fifty richly varied poems that range in tone and subject matter, from the personal to the political, and from the lyric and ironic to meditative and prophetic, as they explore the writing of poetry itself, the passage of time, mortality, and more.… (more)

My first real foray into reading poetry. While I'm sure there was a lot that was beyond my comprehension, I still enjoyed it, nonetheless. Also being the first work by Atwood that I've ever read, I'm not sure how it compares to her fiction. ( )
  writertomg | Sep 6, 2017 |
apart from a handful of poems, i found this collection very disappointing. ( )
  lumpish | Apr 25, 2013 |
On the surface these are fairly simple straightforward, easily readable poems. About a third of them resonated for me with deeper meaning, surprising me and making me think, particularly those dealing with the poet and those dealing with age and death. ( )
  snash | Feb 24, 2011 |
Margaret Atwood’s The Door was published in 2007, and as such is a reflection on life from a position of maturity. Atwood was born in 1939, and the poems reflect her growing realization that she is aging. Some of the poems are sad. Some seem almost bitter. The volume I got from the library also had an audio disc of Atwood reading half of the poems – a touch that gave these poems a personality beyond the mere(!) words.

Please keep in mind that I’m not a poetry critic; I just like these poems. I’m still learning how to read poetry and I have no idea how to talk about it. But I enjoyed the experience of reading this volume of poetry.

More thoughts on my blog
  rebeccareid | Aug 12, 2009 |
I really enjoyed reading The Door. Atwood is wry and vivid--with a deft hand at verbal construction. Every word is deliberate, articulate, meaningful. Reading each poem is sort of like the Monty Hall game show, except there are no goats behind the doors, just cars, gems, something shiny and interesting. Well on second thought, if there was a goat, it would be a magic goat that could probably tell the future. (more)
  syaffolee | May 12, 2008 |
Gasoline : Shivering in the almost-drizzle....inside the wooden outboard, nose over gunwale, I watched it drip and spread....on the sheenless water:

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,831,581 books! | Top bar: Always visible