Cannery Row by John Steinbeck

Series: Cannery Row (1)

7,452145468 (4.04)1 / 654
Recently added byallisonloy, Erina39, LiterateSloth, private library
Legacy LibrariesCarl Sandburg, Walker Percy
    Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck (Booksloth)
    All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy (mabith)
    mabith: McCarthy's border trilogy reminded me so heavily of Steinbeck. I think if you enjoy one author you'll enjoy the other as well.
    Angle of Repose by Wallace Stegner (lyzadanger)
    lyzadanger: Similar pastoral view of the West.
    Sweet Thursday by John Steinbeck (HollyMS)
    A Foreign Woman by Sergei Dovlatov (Anonymous user)
    The Killer Next Door by Alex Marwood (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    The Log from the Sea of Cortez by John Steinbeck (chrisharpe)
    Underworld by Don DeLillo (xtien)

English (139)  Lithuanian (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  Hebrew (1)  All (144)
This is a tough book to rate. I think I would give the writing 4 stars because Steinbeck is such a beautiful writer, but I would give my enjoyment of the book 2 stars. I found the story disjointed, really did not enjoy any of the characters, and there was no real buildup in the story at all. It was just a sad expose of a small part of a town full of the poor and downtrodden. That was likely the point, but I just found it tough to turn the pages. ( )
  msaucier818 | Apr 9, 2018 |
I finished this on 13 Mar 2014 & again on 23 July 2016. I liked it the first time but much more the second time. The characters mean well but continually find trouble. I don't know how many times I have had the best of intentions and words came out wrong or I physically fumbled. Making up for it is hard because some people will never trust you. You are just a "klutz" in their eyes. Such is the case with the folks in Cannery Row. ( )
  godmotherx5 | Apr 5, 2018 |
I enjoyed this short novel of Steinbeck's! Honestly going in I was worried, his novels tend to be bleak and have some very difficult passages, but this one set on cannery row was much lighter than his other works I've read. I fully enjoyed watching the inhabitants of this story cross paths, interact, and watching how things played out from their various perspectives. This one is a great work on perspective (POV) changing everything, and could also use the tag line made famous by its use in his other work: '...the best laid plans of mice and men often go astray....' ( )
  RivetedReaderMelissa | Mar 22, 2018 |
What I loved most about this book was that it didn't tell a big story, nothing huge happens really. It's a group of residents living in a poor area but living the way that makes them happy. Some squat in an old fish building and some squat in an old furnace that they have gutted and made into a home. They all could change their situation, but they are all content with the way things are

Cannery Row tells a lot about human nature, without preaching. It's a simple book where not much happens, but I found I didn't want to put it down anyway.

"It has always seemed strange to me...The things we admire in men, kindness and generosity, openness, honesty, understanding and feeling, are the concomitants of failure in our system. And those traits we detest, sharpness, greed, acquisitiveness, meanness, egotism and self-interest, are the traits of success. And while men admire the quality of the first they love the produce of the second." ( )
1 vote ChelleBearss | Mar 9, 2018 |
the first time I realized that it was ok for misery to have a sense of humour, a theme present in many more of his stories, perfectly interwoven ( )
  frahealee | Dec 3, 2017 |

Waechter, PhilipCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For
ED RICKETTS
who knows why or should
Cannery Row in Monterey in California is a poem, a stink, a grating noise, a quality of light, a tone, a habit, a nostalgia, a dream.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 014200068X, Paperback)

Unburdened by the material necessities of the more fortunate, the denizens of Cannery Row discover rewards unknown in more traditional society. Henry the painter sorts through junk lots for pieces of wood to incorporate into the boat he is building, while the girls from Dora Flood’s bordello venture out now and then to enjoy a bit of sunshine. Lee Chong stocks his grocery with almost anything a man could want, and Doc, a young marine biologist who ministers to sick puppies and unhappy souls, unexpectedly finds true love. Cannery Row is just a few blocks long, but the story it harbors is suffused with warmth, understanding, and a great fund of human values.

First published in 1945, Cannery Row focuses on the acceptance of life as it is—both the exuberance of community and the loneliness of the individual. John Steinbeck draws on his memories of the real inhabitants of Monterey, California, and interweaves their stories in this world where only the fittest survive—creating what is at once one of his most humorous and poignant works. In Cannery Row, John Steinbeck returns to the setting of Tortilla Flat to create another evocative portrait of life as it is lived by those who unabashedly put the highest value on the intangibles—human warmth, camaraderie, and love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:43 -0400)

Vividly depicts the colorful, sometimes disreputable, inhabitants of a run-down area in Monterey, California.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141185082, 0141045396, 024195245X

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,449,460 books! | Top bar: Always visible