Cannery Row by John Steinbeck

Cannery Row (1945)

by John Steinbeck

Series: Cannery Row (1)

6,108None667 (4.05)1 / 518
1001 (41) 1001 books (33) 1940s (20) 20th century (81) America (26) American (104) American fiction (27) American literature (143) California (192) classic (166) classic fiction (18) Classic Literature (18) classics (115) fiction (810) friendship (17) Great Depression (47) John Steinbeck (22) literature (133) Monterey (75) Nobel Prize (23) novel (123) own (32) paperback (21) poverty (18) read (91) Roman (27) Steinbeck (68) to-read (77) unread (31) USA (44)
    Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck (Booksloth)
    Sweet Thursday by John Steinbeck (Hollerama)
    All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy (mabith)
    mabith: McCarthy's border trilogy reminded me so heavily of Steinbeck. I think if you enjoy one author you'll enjoy the other as well.
    The Log from the Sea of Cortez by John Steinbeck (chrisharpe)
    Underworld by Don DeLillo (xtien)
    Angle of Repose by Wallace Stegner (lyzadanger)
    lyzadanger: Similar pastoral view of the West.

English (102)  Lithuanian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (105)
A revealing and intimate look at individuals often overlooked by "dressed for success" nine-to-five suburbanites. Everyone has his own way of looking at life, his own hopes and dreams, regrets and failures. This was very well written, as one would expect from Steinbeck. However, I became irritated at Mack's frequent, almost constant use of "I and the boys". If I were Doc, I'd find it hard to resist correcting him, but Doc knew it would be useless. ( )
  FancyHorse | Apr 11, 2014 |
I don't have a clue why I never read this book before. This was such a CUTE book! In this book of vignettes, the reader gets to know the cast of characters that inhabit the Row, from the Doctor that works for the bio lab to the madam & the girls of a house of ill repute that all have hearts of gold, to the boys of the Palace, to the mysterious Chinaman & all of the others. Each little scenario will make you smile, & even though the book had an abrupter ending than I was counting on, it was a good ending. I thoroughly enjoyed this little gem of a book! ( )
  Lisa.Johnson.James | Apr 11, 2014 |
John Steinbeck was a master. This book is perfect: lyrical, haunting, sadly hopeful, beautifully bittersweet. I haven't read a novel this good in a long time.

As a side note, I think I need to reread The Grapes of Wrath. I read it in high school and don't remember being impressed. For years afterward I associated Steinbeck with that book and consequently had all but written him off. Then I discovered a copy of East of Eden in a used bookstore and decided to give it a try. After devouring that, I moved on to Tortilla Flat and The Wayward Bus. Obviously I had been mistaken about Mr. Steinbeck. So now I'm wondering if my problem with The Grapes of Wrath had more to do with when I read it. If that's the case, then I can live with that. But if not, then I will hold my school responsible for failing to open my eyes to John Steinbeck's genius at an earlier age. ( )
  S.D. | Apr 4, 2014 |
This is one of those books where nothing much happens, and yet the world happens. Where in a sense it's about nothing and everything at the same time.

When I picked it up from the library I hadn't the slightest idea what it was about. I read classics, I enjoy classics, I know Steinbeck is a good author, and this title is on the 1,001 Books list, so I saw it and snagged it, needing no more info. After reading it, I'm not really sure I could pinpoint what it was about. Life, that's probably the closest you can get. Cannery Row is snapshots of life, the humor, the pain, and everything in between.

I think the first few lines tell you all you need to know.
"Cannery Row is the gathered and scattered, tin and iron and rust and splintered wood, chipped pavement and weedy lots and junk heaps, sardine canneries of corrugated iron, honky tonks, restaurants and whore houses, the little crowded groceries, and laboratories and flophouses. Its inhabitants are, as the man once said, 'whores, pimps, gamblers, and sons of bitches,' by which he meant Everybody. Had the man looked through another peephole he might have said, 'Saints and angels and martyrs and holy men,' and he would have meant the same thing." ( )
  PolymathicMonkey | Dec 25, 2013 |
One of my all time favorite books. Steinbeck's ability to describe the place, the people, and the era are breathtaking. And the plot is one of the all time funniest. A farce of epic proportions. It calls for rereading on a regular basis as there are always details to savor and enjoy again. I especially love the atmospheric vignettes that seem to be disconnected from the central plot - but are certainly central to establishing the mood and the environment. The bittersweet sadness of many of these digressions is one of the things that I think makes this truly a classic for all time. ( )
  stuart10er | Sep 27, 2013 |

Steinbeck, Johnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brugmans-Martens, L.I.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Farden, JerryNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Frank, RudolfTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shillinglaw, SusanIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Waechter, PhilipCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For ED RICKETTS who knows why or should
Cannery Row in Monterey in California is a poem, a stink, a grating noise, a quality of light, a tone, a habit, a nostalgia, a dream.
It has always seemed strange to me...The things we admire in men, kindness and generosity, openness, honesty, understanding and feeling, are the concomitants of failure in our system. And those traits we detest, sharpness, greed, acquisitiveness, meanness, egotism and self-interest, are the traits of success. And while men admire the quality of the first they love the produce of the second.

Published in 1945, "Cannery Row" focuses on the acceptance of life as it is: both the exuberance of community and the loneliness of the individual. Drawing on his memories of the real inhabitants of Monterey, California, Steinbeck interweaves the stories of Doc, Henri, Mack and his boys, and the other characters in this world where only the fittest survive, to create a novel that is at once one of his most humorous and most poignant works.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 014200068X, Paperback)

Unburdened by the material necessities of the more fortunate, the denizens of Cannery Row discover rewards unknown in more traditional society. Henry the painter sorts through junk lots for pieces of wood to incorporate into the boat he is building, while the girls from Dora Flood’s bordello venture out now and then to enjoy a bit of sunshine. Lee Chong stocks his grocery with almost anything a man could want, and Doc, a young marine biologist who ministers to sick puppies and unhappy souls, unexpectedly finds true love. Cannery Row is just a few blocks long, but the story it harbors is suffused with warmth, understanding, and a great fund of human values.

First published in 1945, Cannery Row focuses on the acceptance of life as it is—both the exuberance of community and the loneliness of the individual. John Steinbeck draws on his memories of the real inhabitants of Monterey, California, and interweaves their stories in this world where only the fittest survive—creating what is at once one of his most humorous and poignant works. In Cannery Row, John Steinbeck returns to the setting of Tortilla Flat to create another evocative portrait of life as it is lived by those who unabashedly put the highest value on the intangibles—human warmth, camaraderie, and love.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:23 -0400)

Vividly depicts the colorful, sometimes disreputable, inhabitants of a run-down area in Monterey, California.

Three editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141185082, 0141045396, 024195245X

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,473,121 books! | Top bar: Always visible