Cannery Row: (Centennial Edition) by John…

Cannery Row: (Centennial Edition)

by John Steinbeck

7,056132511 (4.04)1 / 626
    Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck (Booksloth)
    All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy (mabith)
    mabith: McCarthy's border trilogy reminded me so heavily of Steinbeck. I think if you enjoy one author you'll enjoy the other as well.
    Sweet Thursday by John Steinbeck (HollyMS)
    Angle of Repose by Wallace Stegner (lyzadanger)
    lyzadanger: Similar pastoral view of the West.
    The Killer Next Door by Alex Marwood (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    The Log from the Sea of Cortez by John Steinbeck (chrisharpe)
    Underworld by Don DeLillo (xtien)

English (128)  Lithuanian (1)  Dutch (1)  Hebrew (1)  Spanish (1)  All (132)
This book was boring. All I could manage was a chapter at a time, pretty much. Steinbeck has a way with words so it wasn't completely bad. The book just describes the setting and characters, which were both very vivid in my mind, but there's no plot.

Mack and the boys are unemployed but clever, resourceful men who live in the Palace Flophouse in Monterey, California. And that's about it. ( )
  jenn88 | Apr 25, 2017 |
One of my all time favorites. The characters and setting are magnificent! ( )
  CindaMac | Mar 26, 2017 |
As good as I remembered from the 60s. ( )
  addunn3 | Feb 26, 2017 |
This is my kind of book. Love it! Great characters and a sometimes humorous story. I really enjoyed this book. Steinbeck is a great author. The story is fun -- there's a group of bums who don't work but manage to get by and have some life wisdom, there's Doc who runs a scientific laboratory, there's the brothel across the street, a Chinese grocer, a slightly whacky lady who holds tea parties for cats, and many more. Cannery Row is a street where several fish canneries are located, a cluttered empty lot, Doc's lab, the grocer, and more. I felt like I was there.
  Rascalstar | Jan 21, 2017 |
This book thoroughly surprised me with its combination of simplicity, humour, wit, and intelligence. Having read only a few other Steinbeck novels, this was not what I expected; I was pleasantly surprised! ( )
  Scerakor | Dec 20, 2016 |
Honestly, I can't say that I loved this book, it was a good read to check off the list though. The aspect of this book that kept me most interested was identifying the similarities to the structure of society in "Brave New World" to the structure of Plato's ideal society in his Republic. A book everyone should read and judge for themselves though.

Steinbeck, Johnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brugmans-Martens, L.I.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Farden, JerryNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Frank, RudolfTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shillinglaw, SusanIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stahl, BenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Waechter, PhilipCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 014200068X, Paperback)

Unburdened by the material necessities of the more fortunate, the denizens of Cannery Row discover rewards unknown in more traditional society. Henry the painter sorts through junk lots for pieces of wood to incorporate into the boat he is building, while the girls from Dora Flood’s bordello venture out now and then to enjoy a bit of sunshine. Lee Chong stocks his grocery with almost anything a man could want, and Doc, a young marine biologist who ministers to sick puppies and unhappy souls, unexpectedly finds true love. Cannery Row is just a few blocks long, but the story it harbors is suffused with warmth, understanding, and a great fund of human values.

First published in 1945, Cannery Row focuses on the acceptance of life as it is—both the exuberance of community and the loneliness of the individual. John Steinbeck draws on his memories of the real inhabitants of Monterey, California, and interweaves their stories in this world where only the fittest survive—creating what is at once one of his most humorous and poignant works. In Cannery Row, John Steinbeck returns to the setting of Tortilla Flat to create another evocative portrait of life as it is lived by those who unabashedly put the highest value on the intangibles—human warmth, camaraderie, and love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:43 -0400)

Vividly depicts the colorful, sometimes disreputable, inhabitants of a run-down area in Monterey, California.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141185082, 0141045396, 024195245X

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,462,939 books! | Top bar: Always visible