Cannery Row by John Steinbeck

Cannery Row (original 1945; edition 1993)

by John Steinbeck

6,933131522 (4.04)1 / 623
Member:veg-chick
Title:Cannery Row
Authors:John Steinbeck
Info:Penguin Books (1993), Edition: 5th, Mass Market Paperback, 208 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:historical fiction, United States of America, friendship

Cannery Row by John Steinbeck (1945)

Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck (Booksloth)
    All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy (mabith)
    mabith: McCarthy's border trilogy reminded me so heavily of Steinbeck. I think if you enjoy one author you'll enjoy the other as well.
    Sweet Thursday by John Steinbeck (HollyMS)
    Angle of Repose by Wallace Stegner (lyzadanger)
    lyzadanger: Similar pastoral view of the West.
    The Killer Next Door by Alex Marwood (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    The Log from the Sea of Cortez by John Steinbeck (chrisharpe)
    Underworld by Don DeLillo (xtien)

English (127)  Lithuanian (1)  Dutch (1)  Hebrew (1)  Spanish (1)  All (131)
This is my kind of book. Love it! Great characters and a sometimes humorous story. I really enjoyed this book. Steinbeck is a great author. The story is fun -- there's a group of bums who don't work but manage to get by and have some life wisdom, there's Doc who runs a scientific laboratory, there's the brothel across the street, a Chinese grocer, a slightly whacky lady who holds tea parties for cats, and many more. Cannery Row is a street where several fish canneries are located, a cluttered empty lot, Doc's lab, the grocer, and more. I felt like I was there.
  Rascalstar | Jan 21, 2017 |
This book thoroughly surprised me with its combination of simplicity, humour, wit, and intelligence. Having read only a few other Steinbeck novels, this was not what I expected; I was pleasantly surprised! ( )
  Scerakor | Dec 20, 2016 |
I would tell you I'm a big fan of Steinbeck, and that one of my favorite books is "Of Mice and Men", but for some reason along the way I've never read "Cannery Row". I realized this when I had the chance to visit Monterey at Thanksgiving and see the now VERY touristy Cannery Row with it's cheesy wax museum and Steinbeck statue.
I've since rectified my lapse and finished this American classic. I love Steinbeck's prose, and his characters. It's making me want to reread everything he's ever written and take another trip to Northern California to visit the Steinbeck Museum is Salinas! ( )
  Iambookish | Dec 14, 2016 |
73/150

The California book for my Read Across America project. Full review here. ( )
  moonlight_reads | Dec 11, 2016 |
The inhabitants of Cannery Row are not the wealthiest or most sober of citizens, and that's quite the understatement. The characterization and scene setting in this novel are magnificent, if the characters are not terribly sympathetic or relatable. ( )
  EmScape | Oct 10, 2016 |

Shillinglaw, SusanIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stahl, BenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Waechter, PhilipCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For ED RICKETTS who knows why or should
Cannery Row in Monterey in California is a poem, a stink, a grating noise, a quality of light, a tone, a habit, a nostalgia, a dream.
It has always seemed strange to me...The things we admire in men, kindness and generosity, openness, honesty, understanding and feeling, are the concomitants of failure in our system. And those traits we detest, sharpness, greed, acquisitiveness, meanness, egotism and self-interest, are the traits of success. And while men admire the quality of the first they love the produce of the second.

Published in 1945, "Cannery Row" focuses on the acceptance of life as it is: both the exuberance of community and the loneliness of the individual. Drawing on his memories of the real inhabitants of Monterey, California, Steinbeck interweaves the stories of Doc, Henri, Mack and his boys, and the other characters in this world where only the fittest survive, to create a novel that is at once one of his most humorous and most poignant works.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 014200068X, Paperback)

Unburdened by the material necessities of the more fortunate, the denizens of Cannery Row discover rewards unknown in more traditional society. Henry the painter sorts through junk lots for pieces of wood to incorporate into the boat he is building, while the girls from Dora Flood’s bordello venture out now and then to enjoy a bit of sunshine. Lee Chong stocks his grocery with almost anything a man could want, and Doc, a young marine biologist who ministers to sick puppies and unhappy souls, unexpectedly finds true love. Cannery Row is just a few blocks long, but the story it harbors is suffused with warmth, understanding, and a great fund of human values.

First published in 1945, Cannery Row focuses on the acceptance of life as it is—both the exuberance of community and the loneliness of the individual. John Steinbeck draws on his memories of the real inhabitants of Monterey, California, and interweaves their stories in this world where only the fittest survive—creating what is at once one of his most humorous and poignant works. In Cannery Row, John Steinbeck returns to the setting of Tortilla Flat to create another evocative portrait of life as it is lived by those who unabashedly put the highest value on the intangibles—human warmth, camaraderie, and love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:43 -0400)

Vividly depicts the colorful, sometimes disreputable, inhabitants of a run-down area in Monterey, California.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141185082, 0141045396, 024195245X

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,782,370 books! | Top bar: Always visible