Adrian Mole Diaries: Secret Diary of Adrian…

Adrian Mole Diaries: "Secret Diary of Adrian Mole Aged Thirteen and Three… (edition 1999)

by Sue Townsend

Member:Roxy641
Title:Adrian Mole Diaries: "Secret Diary of Adrian Mole Aged Thirteen and Three Quarters" AND "Growing Pains of Adrian Mole"
Authors:Sue Townsend
Info:William Heinemann Ltd (1999), Hardcover, 368 pages

The Adrian Mole Diaries: The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13 3/4 ; The Growing Pains of Adrian Mole by Sue Townsend

Adrian Mole is so good I don't know whether to admit that it makes me cry more often than I laugh at him. Miserable adolescence is the fate of most of us, but it is very well realised by Townsend. Hang in there, Adrian, we're rooting for you! ( )
  DinadansFriend | Jan 2, 2014 |
Had its humorous, laugh-out-loud spots, but too few for the amount of reading necessary to find them.

All in all, a rather depressing book about a dysfunctional family.
  MissJessie | Oct 16, 2013 |
I checked this out on a day when I was sick and my supervisor sent me home. It helped take my mind off my misery and is so British and funny. ( )
  DowntownLibrarian | Jul 31, 2011 |
91 really rave reviews in Amazon from all ages. Especially loved by teenagers. I have just sampled it, and would agree. ( )
  carterchristian1 | Aug 27, 2010 |
This book wasn't at all what I had expected. After reading so many reviews about how hilariously funny it was, I found it to be a total let-down.

I chuckled over a few parts, but more often than not I was stuck on the British mannerisms and references to things of which I had no idea what the characters were talking about. I gave up after the fifth chapter.

Maybe others will find it a lot more humorous and easier to read than I did! ( )
  GeniusJen | Oct 13, 2009 |

Adrian Mole faces the same agonies which life sets before most adolescents: troubles with girls, school, parents, and an uncaring world. The difference, though, between young Master Mole and his peers is that this British lad keeps a diary -- an earnest chronicle of longing and disaster that has convulsed more than five million readers since its two-volume initial publication. From teenaged Adrian's obsession with intellectuality after understanding "nearly every word" of a Malcolm Muggeridge broadcast to his anguished adoration of a lovely, mercurial schoolmate, from his view of his parents' constantly creaking relationship to his heartfelt but hilarious attempts at cathartic verse, here is an outrageous triumph of deadpan, and deadly accurate, satire. ABBA, Princess Di's wedding, street punks. Monty Python, the Falklands campaign -- all the cultural pageantry of a keenly observed era marches past the unique perspective of Sue Townsend's brilliant comic creation: A. Mole, the unforgettable lad whose self-absorption only gets funnier as his life becomes more desperate.

Adrian Mole faces the same agonies which life sets before most adolescents: troubles with girls, school, parents, and an uncaring world. The difference, though, between young Master Mole and his peers is that this British lad keeps a diary--an earnest chronicle of longing and disaster that has convulsed more than five million readers since its two-volume initial publication. From teenaged Adrian's obsession with intellectuality after understanding "nearly every word" of a Malcolm Muggeridge broadcast to his anguished adoration of a lovely, mercurial schoolmate, from his view of his parents' constantly creaking relationship to his heartfelt but hilarious attempts at cathartic verse, here is an outrageous triumph of deadpan, and deadly accurate, satire. ABBA, Princess Di's wedding, street punks, Monty Python, the Falklands campaign--all the cultural pageantry of a keenly observed era marches past the unique perspective of Sue Townsend's brilliant comic creation: A. Mole, the unforgettable lad whose self-absorption only gets funnier as his life becomes more desperate.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:16 -0400)

British teenager Adrian Mole records the ups and downs of adolescence in his diary.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,347,635 books! | Top bar: Always visible