Reading Pictures: A History of Love and Hate…

Reading Pictures: A History of Love and Hate (2000)

by Alberto Manguel

Recently added byprivate library, BradRupert, mamasue, dchaikin, Dani74, nickholdstock, nicoelston, animoidallee

A look at art, humanity, and history through a careful reading of paintings, photography, sculpture, and architecture. Remarkable, wonderful, and insightful.
4 stars oc ( )
  starcat | Aug 11, 2014 |
Some of his examples were completely fascinating, while others seemed like basics from an Art History class. Worth reading for the good parts due to some of his impressive examples. Found myself quickly leafing through many of the chapters until something struck my attention. Art History was my major, so maybe better-appreciated by one who hasn't already been exposed to a lot of it. ( )
1 vote Melissarochell | Jul 20, 2013 |
good discussion of not the usual art. ( )
  mahallett | Jul 26, 2008 |

Reading Pictures looks at the work of great artists–from the intensely familiar to the undiscovered–and examines the stories behind them, tracing the passage of life into art. Pablo Picasso torments his mistress Dora Maar and then paints brilliant studies of her grief-crumpled face; these evolve into the weeping woman in his great indictment of fascism, Guernica. Manguel untangles what this story, and countless others, shows us of our twin impulses toward creation and destruction. A tour of the psyche more than of the museum, this book dares to ponder, with contagious wonder, why we create.

Not since John Berger’s influential Ways of Seeing has an essayist so eloquently examined what happens when we are moved by profound works of art and how we decode a wordless language that touches us so intimately. Richly illustrated, Reading Pictures shows us that there is no limit to the stories we may find if we look with care and delight.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:40 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,657,256 books! | Top bar: Always visible