Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks

Birdsong (1993)

by Sebastian Faulks

Series: French Trilogy (2)

5,0871401,310 (4)417
Recently added byglennwhit1246, KariLouise_, cvobrien, private library, SJH8, merrileer, Liivin, yesyourmajesty, rsk97, alo1224
Legacy LibrariesGillian Rose
    Atonement by Ian McEwan (rrravenita)
    The Absolutist by John Boyne (NeilDalley)
    War Underground by Alexander Barrie (mabith)
    mabith: The true story of the tunnelers working during WWI, a little dated in tone but an excellent read.
    The Passing Bells by Phillip Rock (aliklein)
    The First Day on the Somme by Martin Middlebrook (Polaris-)
    Polaris-: For anyone interested in an expertly told history of the background, preparation, and execution of the Battle of the Somme, as well as the aftermath, this will certainly flesh out a lot of the detail behind the central battle featured in Faulks' novel.
    If This Is a Man and The Truce by Primo Levi (sombrio)
    Between the Sword and the Wall: a novel of World War I by Thomas De Angelo (Jan6767)
    Gifts of War by Mackenzie Ford (pdebolt)
    A Soldier of the Great War by Mark Helprin (PLReader)

English (137)  Dutch (3)  All languages (140)
This was a decent book, but its turns and spiraling narrative proved to be disagreeable to me at points. The novel meanders and wavers at certain points. There are beautiful and remarkable scenes, but at the same time there is much energy and overabundance of material that could have been cut prior to the publishing of the novel. Additionally, the ending to me did not seem real enough and I was left unsatisfied by the book's conclusion.

Fair, with great parts, but that is all. ( )
  DanielSTJ | Dec 17, 2018 |
I was not prepared for the experience of reading this book. It took me much longer to read it than most books, but it wasn't because I wasn't interested. Almost like 3 books in one: a love story, a WWI story, and the story of a woman's search for the knowledge of her ancestors. Every single part was deeply affecting, and so incredibly well-written. ( )
  sprainedbrain | Dec 1, 2018 |
A poetic, heart-breaking novel, about the atrocities of war and the hope that springs even under the most harrowing circumstances. Sebastian Faulks writes with elegant, beautiful prose, and creates memorable characters.

Stephen Wraysford and Isabelle Azaire take the central stage due to their tragic love-affair, but for me the characters that are the heart of the novel are Jack Firebrace and Weir, representing all that is good in a time of war, and the importance of self-sacrifice in times of duty.

The only element that didn't attract my attention was the part of the narration that is set during the 1970s. I understand why Faulks decided to include it in Birdsong, but I wouldn't miss it if it wasn't there. There is a BBC adaptation, produced in 2012, with some alterations but with respect in the spirit of the novel and a great performance - one of his many great performances, actually - by Joseph Mawle as Jack Firebrace. ( )
  AmaliaGavea | Jul 15, 2018 |
So evocative of a time & the feelings - love & pain - in a beautifully written tale. However, a bit like Captain Corelli's Mandolin, it's a book of two pieces and could have been better tied together. ( )
  kate_author | Jun 2, 2018 |
Unexpected. The erotic and sensual love scenes are captivating without lewdness. I gained a whole new understanding of trench warfare and the profound, stupefying loss of life on the battlefields of WWI. ( )
  FoxTribeMama | Aug 25, 2017 |

Sebastian Faulksprimary authorall editionscalculated
Davids, TinkeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Firth, PeterNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Perria, LidiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
West, SamuelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'When I go from hence, let this be my parting word, that what I have seen is unsurpassable.' Rabindranath Tagore, Gitanjali
For Edward
The boulevard du cange was a broad, quiet street that marked the eastern flank of the city of Amiens.
Madame Azaire had not fully engaged Stephen's eye

Published to international critical and popular acclaim, this intensely romantic yet stunningly realistic novel spans three generations and the unimaginable gulf between the First World War and the present. As the young Englishman Stephen Wraysford passes through a tempestuous love affair with Isabelle Azaire in France and enters the dark, surreal world beneath the trenches of No Man's Land. (0-679-77681-8)
Brave soldiers digging
claustrophobic tunnels. Trench
warfare on both sides.
(passion4reading)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679776818, Paperback)

Readers who are entranced by the sweeping Anglo sagas of Masterpiece Theatre will devour Birdsong, Sebastian Faulks's historical drama. A bestseller in England, there's even a little high-toned erotica thrown into the mix to convince the doubtful. The book's hero, a 20-year-old Englishman named Stephen Wraysford, finds his true love on a trip to Amiens in 1910. Unfortunately, she's already married, the wife of a wealthy textile baron. Wrayford convinces her to leave a life of passionless comfort to be at his side, but things do not turn out according to plan. Wraysford is haunted by this doomed affair and carries it with him into the trenches of World War I. Birdsong derives most of its power from its descriptions of mud and blood, and Wraysford's attempt to retain a scrap of humanity while surrounded by it. There is a simultaneous description of his present-day granddaughter's quest to read his diaries, which is designed to give some sense of perspective; this device is only somewhat successful. Nevertheless, Birdsong is an unflinching war story that is bookended by romances and a rewarding read.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:45 -0400)

Rootless and heartbroken Stephen Wraysford joins the army at the outbreak of World War I. He and his men are given the assignment to tunnel under the German lines and set off bombs. The comaraderie, love, and loyalty of the soldiers contrasts with the horrors of the underground, air, and trench warfare.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,499,253 books! | Top bar: Always visible