Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks

Birdsong (original 1993; edition 2007)

by Sebastian Faulks

Authors:Sebastian Faulks
Info:Vintage (2007), Edition: New edition, Paperback, 528 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:1001 Books, Contemporary

Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks (1993)

Atonement by Ian McEwan (rrravenita)
    The Absolutist by John Boyne (NeilDalley)
    War Underground by Alexander Barrie (mabith)
    mabith: The true story of the tunnelers working during WWI, a little dated in tone but an excellent read.
    The Passing Bells by Phillip Rock (aliklein)
    The First Day on the Somme 1 July 1916 (Penguin History) by Martin Middlebrook (Polaris-)
    Polaris-: For anyone interested in an expertly told history of the background, preparation, and execution of the Battle of the Somme, as well as the aftermath, this will certainly flesh out a lot of the detail behind the central battle featured in Faulks' novel.
    If this is a man and The truce by Primo Levi (sombrio)
    Between the Sword and the Wall: a novel of World War I by Thomas De Angelo (Jan6767)
    Gifts of War by Mackenzie Ford (pdebolt)
    A Soldier of the Great War by Mark Helprin (PLReader)

English (117)  Dutch (3)  All languages (120)
I enjoyed the bit where Isabelle catches some of Stephen's cum in her mouth, but otherwise I was a little unsure of this novel at first; but as the story went on it grew and grew in power. He has this way of giving you these little details, I don't know if he's imagined them or found them in accounts of the war, but they're amazing and made the whole thing feel real to me.

Interesting to see the similarities to The Girl at the Lion d'Or: the orphan, the slightly freckled woman, adultery and that massive metaphor of excavation mirroring a character's psychological condition. ( )
  Lukerik | Sep 19, 2015 |
My father recommended this to me many years ago and apart from a few key factors I don't remember a great deal. It is set during a war and a man is trapped underground and as to essentially blow his way out of the ground. Almost like Andy Weirs The Martin or Flight of the Phoenix it explores, in minute details, the movement of hundreds of pounds of explosive back and forth in a tiny place with little to no air with the view to a grand explosion/ Nice writing and I did not struggle with the pace or details, it just did not grab me by the boys and most war books do. ( )
  areadingmachine | Jul 6, 2015 |
The novel spans the life of Stephen Wraysford before and during World War I (1914-1918), and also the life of Stephen's granddaughter, Elizabeth, as she tries to find out more about her grandfather's war experience. It moves between France 1910; France 1916; England 1978; France 1917; England 1978-1979; France 1918 and England 1979. Elizabeth's mother was the result of Stephen love affair with married woman Isabelle Azaire in France. Maybe I've just read too many war stories of late but I had to skim pages in my attempt to finish this novel. The part that touched me most was the description of the end of the war on pages 484 and 485. ( )
1 vote DebbieMcCauley | Apr 4, 2015 |

Sebastian Faulksprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Davids, TinkeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
West, SamuelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'When I go from hence, let this be my parting word, that what I have seen is unsurpassable.' Rabindranath Tagore, Gitanjali
For Edward
The boulevard du cange was a broad, quiet street that marked the eastern flank of the city of Amiens.
Madame Azaire had not fully engaged Stephen's eye

Published to international critical and popular acclaim, this intensely romantic yet stunningly realistic novel spans three generations and the unimaginable gulf between the First World War and the present. As the young Englishman Stephen Wraysford passes through a tempestuous love affair with Isabelle Azaire in France and enters the dark, surreal world beneath the trenches of No Man's Land. (0-679-77681-8)
Stephen's passionate
Love affair with Isabelle,
Fights in World War One.
Brave soldiers digging
Claustrophobic tunnels. Trench
Warfare on both sides.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679776818, Paperback)

Readers who are entranced by the sweeping Anglo sagas of Masterpiece Theatre will devour Birdsong, Sebastian Faulks's historical drama. A bestseller in England, there's even a little high-toned erotica thrown into the mix to convince the doubtful. The book's hero, a 20-year-old Englishman named Stephen Wraysford, finds his true love on a trip to Amiens in 1910. Unfortunately, she's already married, the wife of a wealthy textile baron. Wrayford convinces her to leave a life of passionless comfort to be at his side, but things do not turn out according to plan. Wraysford is haunted by this doomed affair and carries it with him into the trenches of World War I. Birdsong derives most of its power from its descriptions of mud and blood, and Wraysford's attempt to retain a scrap of humanity while surrounded by it. There is a simultaneous description of his present-day granddaughter's quest to read his diaries, which is designed to give some sense of perspective; this device is only somewhat successful. Nevertheless, Birdsong is an unflinching war story that is bookended by romances and a rewarding read.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:45 -0400)

Rootless and heartbroken Stephen Wraysford joins the army at the outbreak of World War I. He and his men are given the assignment to tunnel under the German lines and set off bombs. The comaraderie, love, and loyalty of the soldiers contrasts with the horrors of the underground, air, and trench warfare.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,711,170 books! | Top bar: Always visible