Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli

Stargirl (2000)

by Jerry Spinelli

6,195290661 (3.96)133
    Love, Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli (missnickynack)
    missnickynack: Its the sequel to Stargirl and it is equally as good.
    Weetzie Bat by Francesca Lia Block (kaionvin)
    Every Soul A Star by Wendy Mass (RidgewayGirl)
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: More average-boy-meets-life-changing-girl.
    Paper Towns by John Green (strandedon8jo)
    Becoming Chloe by Catherine Ryan Hyde (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Similarly innocent-but-wise female character.
    Loser by Jerry Spinelli (bookel)

English (287)  Italian (2)  Finnish (1)  All languages (290)
A great story on the lessons of learning to be yourself no matter what. Easy to follow story filled with a variety of life lessons for anyone to follow. I really enjoyed this book because anyone who reads this story should feel much better about who they are and more confident in being just that. A great lesson about holding your head high no matter what others may say. Overcoming obstacles and bullying of others if part of life and Stargirl shows the readers just how to do that. Filled with life lessons, love, and questions about what happened to Stargirl. ( )
  lriver5 | May 14, 2015 |
Star girl was one of my favorite books when I was a child. In my opinion, this book can be enjoyed by anyone at any age. This book takes place in Arizonia and is about a very interesting girl, named Stargirl. It is narrated by a boy named Leo who is in total awe of her. She comes to Mica Area High School in eleventh grade and is not like everyone else. She is the most individualistic girl anyone at this school has ever met. Also she is a cheerleader and at games she is always cheering for other teams. Stargirl has a pet rat named, Cinnamon who is always on her shoulder. Also she sends people birthday presents she doesn't even know. Stargirl falls in love with Leo Borlock. Leo has feelings for her too, but he is afraid he will become unpopular if they get together. They go tot the mall, ride bikes and do a lot of stuff together, but at school they are distant because the students start to turn on her. The question is, "Whose affection does he value more hers or the others?" A main theme in this amazing book is unapologetic individuality vs fitting in. She is either uncaring about the feelings of her classmates then blatantly shunned by them which causes her to loose much of herself in the process. ( )
  cscapp1 | May 13, 2015 |
I remember reading this book on my own in 6th grade, but it did not interest me much, so I didn't end up finishing it. After reading it this time around, though, I enjoyed it and I realized I probably didn't understand what was going on in the book back in 6th grade. Though Stargirl struck me as very quirky and odd, I liked her character because she was so positive and always trying to help others. Even though her peers quickly got tired of her antics, she persisted. When Stargirl thought that changing into "Susan" would please her friends and classmates, she realizes that being her true self is what's most important. I thought this book would be more appropriate for young teenagers rather than elementary schoolers because young teens can relate to this story. Many teens are trying to find their true identities in high school, and Stargirl teaches the lesson that the you are the best version of yourself. Overall, I really enjoyed the interesting plot line and characters in the story.
  amanna2 | May 13, 2015 |
When I read this book as a child, it was hard to get into. Therefore, I never finished it. However, after reading it this time, I really liked it. I discovered that this young teenage girl had a lot of crazy antics but stayed positive all the time and that is what life is about. The main character, “Stargirl,” is very kooky and different. Her development almost seems fake and not typical. This must be why all the students in the school called her “fake.” However, she did not let that stop her and she joined the cheerleading squad shortly after. Through ups and downs of trying to find herself in high school, Stargirl finally realized that the best person she can be is herself. This teaches a great lesson to teens in high school, who are trying to find themselves, that being yourself is the best thing you can be. Having the book written in the point of view of Leo is very interesting because you can really see the lasting effect that Stargirl had throughout the book. Even though I did not like this book as a kid, I enjoy it now and would definitely encourage teens to read it. ( )
  kriley5 | May 10, 2015 |
I really enjoyed this book and the message that it portrays to young readers. The story is about the arrival of a new eccentric classmate, Susan, who goes by the name Stargirl. Stargirl is every unusual as compared to the other students. She does things like decorate her desk, sings in the rain and plays a ukulele during class time. The students are skeptical of her and believe she is weird, at first. Then they come to actually like her and believe her uniqueness is cool and fresh to them and she makes friends. This shows children to always be themselves no matter what everyone else thinks. This is a good message to students to show them that people like Stargirl do exist and they can make a difference in a classroom. I think this is a great book for 5th to 6th grade readers because this is a time in their life where they are trying to find themselves and discover who they are and I think this book would be helpful to them. ( )
  evandy1 | May 4, 2015 |

Has as a student's study guide

To Eileen, my Stargirl
And to Loren Eiseley, who taught that even as we are, we are becoming
And to Sonny Liston
When I was little, my uncle Pete had a necktie with a porcupine painted on it.
I don't want to be like nobody.

Star girl is an extrodinary gilr. shes not the average teenage you would see on a daily basis. At first a everyonf likes her, they even ask her to be in the cheerleading squad. She has a high spirit in supporting everyone she meets. Some people thinks shes too wierd to hang around with but they end up sitting with her during lunch and even follow along when shes singing happy-birthdsy to someone they dont even know.

Righ now im in the middle of the book and just read that she likes Leo. she actually told him he was cute and now they are hanging out everyday. everyday after school they go uot in the dessert and meditate on being empty (as in not tinkng on anything or thinking about thinking.). on other occasions they go to the mall and play this game that stargirl invented. this yong couple is just right for each other since either one of them is ashamed of each other. Leo, is very popular, but when they are both together holding hands nobody wants ot talk to Leo or Stargirl. Ever since Stargirl helped a player from the other team, they all have hated her. thats the reason why nobody watns to talk to them when they are together or just Stargirl alone.

I just finished the book and im very surprised on the ending that happend.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440416779, Mass Market Paperback)

"She was homeschooling gone amok." "She was an alien." "Her parents were circus acrobats." These are only a few of the theories concocted to explain Stargirl Caraway, a new 10th grader at Arizona's Mica Area High School who wears pioneer dresses and kimonos to school, strums a ukulele in the cafeteria, laughs when there are no jokes, and dances when there is no music. The whole school, not exactly a "hotbed of nonconformity," is stunned by her, including our 16-year-old narrator Leo Borlock: "She was elusive. She was today. She was tomorrow. She was the faintest scent of a cactus flower, the flitting shadow of an elf owl."

In time, incredulity gives way to out-and-out adoration as the student body finds itself helpless to resist Stargirl's wide-eyed charm, pure-spirited friendliness, and penchant for celebrating the achievements of others. In the ultimate high school symbol of acceptance, she is even recruited as a cheerleader. Popularity, of course, is a fragile and fleeting state, and bit by bit, Mica sours on their new idol. Why is Stargirl showing up at the funerals of strangers? Worse, why does she cheer for the opposing basketball teams? The growing hostility comes to a head when she is verbally flogged by resentful students on Leo's televised Hot Seat show in an episode that is too terrible to air. While the playful, chin-held-high Stargirl seems impervious to the shunning that ensues, Leo, who is in the throes of first love (and therefore scornfully deemed "Starboy"), is not made of such strong stuff: "I became angry. I resented having to choose. I refused to choose. I imagined my life without her and without them, and I didn't like it either way."

Jerry Spinelli, author of Newbery Medalist Maniac Magee, Newbery Honor Book Wringer, and many other excellent books for teens, elegantly and accurately captures the collective, not-always-pretty emotions of a high school microcosm in which individuality is pitted against conformity. Spinelli's Stargirl is a supernatural teen character--absolutely egoless, altruistic, in touch with life's primitive rhythms, meditative, untouched by popular culture, and supremely self-confident. It is the sensitive Leo whom readers will relate to as he grapples with who she is, who he is, who they are together as Stargirl and Starboy, and indeed, what it means to be a human being on a planet that is rich with wonders. (Ages 10 to 14) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:17 -0400)

In this story about the perils of popularity, the courage of nonconformity, and the thrill of first love, an eccentric student named Stargirl changes Mica High School forever.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,228,396 books! | Top bar: Always visible