Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli

Stargirl (2000)

by Jerry Spinelli

5,805None725 (3.97)127
    Love, Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli (missnickynack)
    missnickynack: Its the sequel to Stargirl and it is equally as good.
    Every Soul A Star by Wendy Mass (RidgewayGirl)
    Paper Towns by John Green (strandedon8jo)
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: More average-boy-meets-life-changing-girl.
    Becoming Chloe by Catherine Ryan Hyde (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Similarly innocent-but-wise female character.
    Loser by Jerry Spinelli (bookel)
    Weetzie Bat by Francesca Lia Block (kaionvin)

English (259)  Italian (2)  Finnish (1)  All languages (262)
Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli is about a eccentric young girl named Stargirl Caraway who comes to Mica High School after being homeschooled all her life. She is carefree, funny, and free spirited and immediately loved and liked by all. That is until the student body figures out how "different" she is and as we all know, different in high school is not always a good thing. In Stargirl's case, it becomes a very bad thing as she is soon shunned and anyone who associates with her becomes shunned as well such as a young man named Leo who finds himself in love with her. Leo is torn between loving her the way she is and wanting her to be normal so that the two of them can fit in with everyone else. He convinces her to act normal, which she does try to do, but it doesn't work. The other students continue to treat her as invisible until .....

Well, you'll have to read the book to find out what happens in the end but I have to say, not being a huge fan of young adult or juvenile fiction, which I did not know this was until I was deep into the first chapter, this book is captivating and very well written. I found myself unable to put it down and finished it within a day or so. Fantastic for adults and children alike. Read it then give it to your child to read. I think we will all learn a thing or two from this novel. ( )
  clayhollow | Apr 8, 2014 |
This book introduces readers to a young girl who had been homeschooled for much of her education who calls herself Stargirl. She is introduced to a public school where she is alternatingly loved and hated by the student body for her quirky behavior. This book deals with issues like peer pressure and bullying in an intelligent, and almost sweet way. This entertaining story will get readers thinking about interpersonal exchanges in school while keeping the reader hooked by Stargirl's actions, the student body's reactions and how this impacts Leo, the boy who likes her.
  bdemontigny | Mar 4, 2014 |
High School is hard enough as it is, but try being the new girl in school that nobody understands. Spinelli masterfully tells the story of eccentric Stargirl- a mysterious new student who shakes up the social pecking order at a small, southwestern high school where everybody is used to knowing everybody else’s business. Telling the poignant tale from the perspective a smitten male classmate who has managed to stay under the radar, Spinelli expertly details the hierarchy of typical high school cliques while underscoring the importance of being true to yourself and your friends. Readers from middle school to high school will easily identify with at least one of the characters of this realistic fiction novel as it winds its way through the school year. Just as Stargirl unabashedly cheers for the other team, readers will be cheering right along for the unlikely protagonist as she surprises and charms her classmates with her originality and sincerity. ( )
  MzzColby | Jan 9, 2014 |
What would it be like if you had no friends at a new school ? In the book, Stargirl, it shows what it could be like to be a new student in a new school. All the kids in the school think that the principal brought Stargirl to this school to bring more spirit to it. All the students think this because the year before, the school was very non-spiritual and no one ever went to the school games. Things changed after this new, very enthusiastic girl came. Later on, these two boys had a show called the Hot Seat and one of the kids asked Stargirl to go on the show after she cheered for the other team after school at a basketball game. When she was on the Hot Seat, a bunch of kids went to the show to ask her questions and talk to her about why she cheered for the other team and why she has a pet rat. When it was time to ask her the questions, everyone asked her mean questions like "why did you com to this school ?,"and "why don't you have any friends ? " There were many more questions that she was asked that day, but the show had to be cut short because she started crying when all the kids that day made fun of her. The boy who asked her to go on the Hot Seat, felt bad for her and followed her home one day to talk to her. Another day, they sort of became friends and walked into the desert when she was telling him about a enchanted place that she goes to. They became better friends and they also held hands. Eventually, no one in the school payed attention to both of them in the halls. It was nice that she finally had one friend.

My opinion of this book was that it was not interesting because it was about a new girl in a new school.
It was hard for me to relate to this book because I am not a girl, and have never had to go to a new school where I didn't know anyone.
It was a little strange but somewhat interesting at the same time, that Stargirl thought that having one name for your entire life is too boring,
so she changes her name to something different every year or two. At the end of the book, you think all things are going to work out perfectly, but they don't. ( )
  br14daoc | Nov 1, 2013 |
I swear I have perfectly good reasons for reading books for children.

Anyway, this one is unfortunately not that good. While the premise was sympathetic it just wasn't well written - preachy, weirdly dated, way too much telling and not showing, mostly unconvincing in its portrayal of how teens actually talk, and in a prose style way too simplistic for its supposed target audience. I would not give this book to a 7th or 8th grader because I'm pretty sure they'd feel condescended to. An eleven year old, maybe.

Surprisingly the one aspect of the novel that actually worked for me was the romance. In that it was actually a pretty convincing depiction of just how immature a shy teenage boy would behave in that situation. ( )
  jhudsui | Oct 22, 2013 |

Has as a student's study guide

To Eileen, my Stargirl
And to Loren Eiseley, who taught that even as we are, we are becoming
And to Sonny Liston
When I was little, my uncle Pete had a necktie with a porcupine painted on it.
I don't want to be like nobody.

Star girl is an extrodinary gilr. shes not the average teenage you would see on a daily basis. At first a everyonf likes her, they even ask her to be in the cheerleading squad. She has a high spirit in supporting everyone she meets. Some people thinks shes too wierd to hang around with but they end up sitting with her during lunch and even follow along when shes singing happy-birthdsy to someone they dont even know.

Righ now im in the middle of the book and just read that she likes Leo. she actually told him he was cute and now they are hanging out everyday. everyday after school they go uot in the dessert and meditate on being empty (as in not tinkng on anything or thinking about thinking.). on other occasions they go to the mall and play this game that stargirl invented. this yong couple is just right for each other since either one of them is ashamed of each other. Leo, is very popular, but when they are both together holding hands nobody wants ot talk to Leo or Stargirl. Ever since Stargirl helped a player from the other team, they all have hated her. thats the reason why nobody watns to talk to them when they are together or just Stargirl alone.

I just finished the book and im very surprised on the ending that happend.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440416779, Mass Market Paperback)

"She was homeschooling gone amok." "She was an alien." "Her parents were circus acrobats." These are only a few of the theories concocted to explain Stargirl Caraway, a new 10th grader at Arizona's Mica Area High School who wears pioneer dresses and kimonos to school, strums a ukulele in the cafeteria, laughs when there are no jokes, and dances when there is no music. The whole school, not exactly a "hotbed of nonconformity," is stunned by her, including our 16-year-old narrator Leo Borlock: "She was elusive. She was today. She was tomorrow. She was the faintest scent of a cactus flower, the flitting shadow of an elf owl."

In time, incredulity gives way to out-and-out adoration as the student body finds itself helpless to resist Stargirl's wide-eyed charm, pure-spirited friendliness, and penchant for celebrating the achievements of others. In the ultimate high school symbol of acceptance, she is even recruited as a cheerleader. Popularity, of course, is a fragile and fleeting state, and bit by bit, Mica sours on their new idol. Why is Stargirl showing up at the funerals of strangers? Worse, why does she cheer for the opposing basketball teams? The growing hostility comes to a head when she is verbally flogged by resentful students on Leo's televised Hot Seat show in an episode that is too terrible to air. While the playful, chin-held-high Stargirl seems impervious to the shunning that ensues, Leo, who is in the throes of first love (and therefore scornfully deemed "Starboy"), is not made of such strong stuff: "I became angry. I resented having to choose. I refused to choose. I imagined my life without her and without them, and I didn't like it either way."

Jerry Spinelli, author of Newbery Medalist Maniac Magee, Newbery Honor Book Wringer, and many other excellent books for teens, elegantly and accurately captures the collective, not-always-pretty emotions of a high school microcosm in which individuality is pitted against conformity. Spinelli's Stargirl is a supernatural teen character--absolutely egoless, altruistic, in touch with life's primitive rhythms, meditative, untouched by popular culture, and supremely self-confident. It is the sensitive Leo whom readers will relate to as he grapples with who she is, who he is, who they are together as Stargirl and Starboy, and indeed, what it means to be a human being on a planet that is rich with wonders. (Ages 10 to 14) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:17 -0400)

In this story about the perils of popularity, the courage of nonconformity, and the thrill of first love, an eccentric student named Stargirl changes Mica High School forever.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,426,100 books! | Top bar: Always visible