Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli

Stargirl (2000)

by Jerry Spinelli

Love, Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli (missnickynack)
    missnickynack: Its the sequel to Stargirl and it is equally as good.
    Weetzie Bat by Francesca Lia Block (kaionvin)
    Every Soul A Star by Wendy Mass (RidgewayGirl)
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: More average-boy-meets-life-changing-girl.
    Paper Towns by John Green (strandedon8jo)
    Becoming Chloe by Catherine Ryan Hyde (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Similarly innocent-but-wise female character.
    Loser by Jerry Spinelli (bookel)

English (269)  Italian (2)  Finnish (1)  All languages (272)
I dunno who the jerk was that started cutting onions up in my library when I got to the end, but he's a jerk! What are you talking about? I did NOT cry.

Ok, maybe the book made me cry a little... ( )
  benuathanasia | Dec 11, 2014 |
Stargirl is suddenly shunned for everything that makes her different, and Leo, panicked and desperate with love, urges her to become the very thing that can destroy her: normal. This is a great book to keep in the classroom when talking about disabilities. It highlights key aspects of children dealing with disabilities or even just feeling different from the rest. It focuses on the key to having friends and making long lasting relationships with people you can trust. It also demonstrates the ability to be nice to all. This book is easy to read and cohesive. The author does a great job of creating a book that children will love to read. There are no illustrations because it is a picture book, however, the authors real life application helps kids understand without the use of pictures what it is like to feel left out. ( )
  eoertl1 | Dec 10, 2014 |
A book about an obscure girl and how she changes the lives of the many people around her. People tend to think she is weird because she has been homeschooled her whole life and tends to be more kind than the other kids. A loving novel that children may find themselves to relate to, and see themselves in.
  Nicole129672 | Dec 3, 2014 |
Stargirl is a classic, timeless story to me. I read this book with my mother when I was 13 and I read it again this year. The story still brings so many emotions and makes me want to be a part of this story and be friends with Stargirl. The way that the author has Leo, a main character, describe Stargirl is beautiful. The reader can tell that he is amazed by the way she is, the way she smells, and her elusiveness. This story represents a girl who has a special magic to her, a magic that more people should have. She is someone who appreciates everything in life and believes in wondrous things that may not actually be real. At first people are amazed by her, but then they start to think she is weird for having this crazy imagination. Leo is stuck and has to choose between his image or the love he feels for Stargirl. I recommend this book to anyone age 10 and up. It is not a long book and the sentences are easy to understand and read. I would love to read this book again or with my children some day.
  lfasce1 | Dec 2, 2014 |
This chapter book seemed interesting at first, but then I lost interest quickly. It was about an odd girl who calls herself "stargirl" who moves to Leo's high school who notices her almost immediately. Stargirl is very odd, and wears weird clothes, remembers everyone's birthdays, and is nice to everyone and doesn't care what people think about her. She causes turmoil in the school because she starts routing for the opposite team during sports games even though she is a cheerleader, and people start to turn against her. She ends up dating Leo, but he breaks it off because he couldn't take the shunning from his classmates. One day after the school dance, Stargirl disappears from town from her family. For me, it seemed pretty predictable. I lost interest pretty quickly probably because there was barely any action or violence (which I like). ( )
  lgrube4 | Dec 2, 2014 |

Has as a student's study guide

To Eileen, my Stargirl
And to Loren Eiseley, who taught that even as we are, we are becoming
And to Sonny Liston
When I was little, my uncle Pete had a necktie with a porcupine painted on it.
I don't want to be like nobody.

Star girl is an extrodinary gilr. shes not the average teenage you would see on a daily basis. At first a everyonf likes her, they even ask her to be in the cheerleading squad. She has a high spirit in supporting everyone she meets. Some people thinks shes too wierd to hang around with but they end up sitting with her during lunch and even follow along when shes singing happy-birthdsy to someone they dont even know.

Righ now im in the middle of the book and just read that she likes Leo. she actually told him he was cute and now they are hanging out everyday. everyday after school they go uot in the dessert and meditate on being empty (as in not tinkng on anything or thinking about thinking.). on other occasions they go to the mall and play this game that stargirl invented. this yong couple is just right for each other since either one of them is ashamed of each other. Leo, is very popular, but when they are both together holding hands nobody wants ot talk to Leo or Stargirl. Ever since Stargirl helped a player from the other team, they all have hated her. thats the reason why nobody watns to talk to them when they are together or just Stargirl alone.

I just finished the book and im very surprised on the ending that happend.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440416779, Mass Market Paperback)

"She was homeschooling gone amok." "She was an alien." "Her parents were circus acrobats." These are only a few of the theories concocted to explain Stargirl Caraway, a new 10th grader at Arizona's Mica Area High School who wears pioneer dresses and kimonos to school, strums a ukulele in the cafeteria, laughs when there are no jokes, and dances when there is no music. The whole school, not exactly a "hotbed of nonconformity," is stunned by her, including our 16-year-old narrator Leo Borlock: "She was elusive. She was today. She was tomorrow. She was the faintest scent of a cactus flower, the flitting shadow of an elf owl."

In time, incredulity gives way to out-and-out adoration as the student body finds itself helpless to resist Stargirl's wide-eyed charm, pure-spirited friendliness, and penchant for celebrating the achievements of others. In the ultimate high school symbol of acceptance, she is even recruited as a cheerleader. Popularity, of course, is a fragile and fleeting state, and bit by bit, Mica sours on their new idol. Why is Stargirl showing up at the funerals of strangers? Worse, why does she cheer for the opposing basketball teams? The growing hostility comes to a head when she is verbally flogged by resentful students on Leo's televised Hot Seat show in an episode that is too terrible to air. While the playful, chin-held-high Stargirl seems impervious to the shunning that ensues, Leo, who is in the throes of first love (and therefore scornfully deemed "Starboy"), is not made of such strong stuff: "I became angry. I resented having to choose. I refused to choose. I imagined my life without her and without them, and I didn't like it either way."

Jerry Spinelli, author of Newbery Medalist Maniac Magee, Newbery Honor Book Wringer, and many other excellent books for teens, elegantly and accurately captures the collective, not-always-pretty emotions of a high school microcosm in which individuality is pitted against conformity. Spinelli's Stargirl is a supernatural teen character--absolutely egoless, altruistic, in touch with life's primitive rhythms, meditative, untouched by popular culture, and supremely self-confident. It is the sensitive Leo whom readers will relate to as he grapples with who she is, who he is, who they are together as Stargirl and Starboy, and indeed, what it means to be a human being on a planet that is rich with wonders. (Ages 10 to 14) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:17 -0400)

In this story about the perils of popularity, the courage of nonconformity, and the thrill of first love, an eccentric student named Stargirl changes Mica High School forever.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,324,984 books! | Top bar: Always visible