dismiss

Stargirl (2000)

by Jerry Spinelli

Series: Stargirl (1)

In this story about the perils of popularity, the courage of nonconformity, and the thrill of first love, an eccentric student named Stargirl changes Mica High School forever.
    Love, Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli (missnickynack)
    missnickynack: Its the sequel to Stargirl and it is equally as good.
    Weetzie Bat by Francesca Lia Block (kaionvin)
    Every Soul A Star by Wendy Mass (RidgewayGirl)
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: More average-boy-meets-life-changing-girl.
    Paper Towns by John Green (strandedon8jo)
    Becoming Chloe by Catherine Ryan Hyde (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Similarly innocent-but-wise female character.
    Loser by Jerry Spinelli (bookel)

English (344)  Italian (2)  Finnish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (348)
This is a deceptively simple-looking middle grade/YA read from 2000 that sneaks up on you. What's the deal with Stargirl? What will she do next? What will happen to her in the end? And throughout it all, a bit of a fable about the "perils of popularity," as the book jacket calls it. Definitely a good story for kids to read and discuss in terms of how we learn and navigate social skills and expectations. It's also a refreshingly clean read in terms of no inappropriate language or situations (harder and harder to find these days). And while Stargirl is pretty out there as a character, most kids (and adults) will relate to having known someone similar during their school years. ( )
  jjpseattle | Aug 2, 2020 |
I loved this chapter book and read it in elementary school. I loved the story of how unique Stargirl is and shows the reader to never care what people think about you. ( )
  maddieczosek | Jul 19, 2020 |
Star people are rare. ( )
  SolangePark | Jul 12, 2020 |
This was one of my favorite books in middle school, and I thought I would reread it over the holidays since it's set in Arizona and I'm about to go there. I still loved the descriptions of the desert, and the way it slightly turns the manic pixie dream girl trope. I have to say though reading this again as an adult, the ending is even sadder than it seemed as a kid! But I think a positive story for young weirdos everywhere. ( )
  nancyjean19 | Jun 3, 2020 |
In this book, the main character Leo Borlock meets a new girl in his school. Her name is Stargirl. Yes, that is her legal name. She teaches him to be unique in the massive world, no matter who is watching you and what people think. Everyone loves Stargirl, she's crazy, she's weird, and most importantly she's unique. As Mica High becomes cruel and turns on Stargirl, Leo is left with a choice. He can support the girl he has become friends with who has taught him how to be himself, or with the crowd.

I believe this is one of Jerry Spinelli's best books. I highly recommend reading it. It takes you through a rollercoaster of emotions. I remember reading this book in 7th grade thinking about all the times I had done something because everyone else had. This book taught me to be unique and different from everyone else. And just because other people can't see it, you are beautiful and amazing in your own way. It shouldn't matter about what people think, be original while remaining genuine and kind. ( )
  sarveshi | May 4, 2020 |
I honestly recommend this novel to young girls or mostly anyone that is struggling with embracing themselves and having fear being different from others. Stargirl is the new girl in Mica High School, and she is quite different from the other students. She stands out a lot in the crowd because they think she weird for a variety of reasons. Fitting in a new school environment is very difficult because we all want people to like us. But people don't see the unique person we are they just judge us constantly. After, months she decides to pretend as hard to be just like the others. Also, Leo wants her to be like the other girls because he is concerned about popularity and who talks to him. She feels peer pressure and changes her style and the way she acts. She was hoping that people will notice the change and it will have a huge impact in her popularity but that was not the case. Overall, the novel “Stargirl” is inspirational and has themes that teens are enduring. My favorite parts are when Sartgirl doesn't let people get to her by saying mean stuff just because she is different. And she is not embarrassed or even cares that she is different.
added by sonia.sr | editAmazon Customer Review, Stargirl

Jerry Spinelliprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ritter, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Steinhöfel, AndreasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

Has as a student's study guide

To Eileen, my Stargirl
And to Loren Eiseley, who taught that even as we are, we are becoming
And to Sonny Liston
When I was little, my uncle Pete had a necktie with a porcupine painted on it.
I don't want to be like nobody.

Star girl is an extrodinary gilr. shes not the average teenage you would see on a daily basis. At first a everyonf likes her, they even ask her to be in the cheerleading squad. She has a high spirit in supporting everyone she meets. Some people thinks shes too wierd to hang around with but they end up sitting with her during lunch and even follow along when shes singing happy-birthdsy to someone they dont even know.

Righ now im in the middle of the book and just read that she likes Leo. she actually told him he was cute and now they are hanging out everyday. everyday after school they go uot in the dessert and meditate on being empty (as in not tinkng on anything or thinking about thinking.). on other occasions they go to the mall and play this game that stargirl invented. this yong couple is just right for each other since either one of them is ashamed of each other. Leo, is very popular, but when they are both together holding hands nobody wants ot talk to Leo or Stargirl. Ever since Stargirl helped a player from the other team, they all have hated her. thats the reason why nobody watns to talk to them when they are together or just Stargirl alone.

I just finished the book and im very surprised on the ending that happend.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,290,526 books! | Top bar: Always visible