Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli

Stargirl (2000)

by Jerry Spinelli

Love, Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli (missnickynack)
    missnickynack: Its the sequel to Stargirl and it is equally as good.
    Weetzie Bat by Francesca Lia Block (kaionvin)
    Every Soul A Star by Wendy Mass (RidgewayGirl)
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: More average-boy-meets-life-changing-girl.
    Paper Towns by John Green (strandedon8jo)
    Becoming Chloe by Catherine Ryan Hyde (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Similarly innocent-but-wise female character.
    Loser by Jerry Spinelli (bookel)

English (264)  Italian (2)  Finnish (1)  All languages (267)
(6.1)
  mshampson | Oct 15, 2014 |
This is a great coming of age book about and 11th grade high school student named Leo who meets Stargirl and has never met anyone like her before. She quickly becomes very popular at the high school leaving Leo feeling left out. This book is perfect an older grade maybe 9th grade of high school when popularity and judgment is at high risk. The overall theme of this chapter book has to be about coming of age and living thorough those tough teen years.
  Jclark5 | Oct 1, 2014 |
I REALLY disliked this book. I read it in a mother-daughter bookgroup, in which I was the only homeschooler. All this book did was reinforce one of the most typical, not to mention unrealistic, homeschooler stereotype. I was insulted to see the other girls, many of whom I considered to be good friends, said about homeschooling as a result of reading this book.
  GraceZ | Sep 6, 2014 |
Stargirl is magically different. Unable to understand her, during her first day at a new school, with long flowing sand color hair, she wore a long flowing dress, smiled at all and, with her pet rat calmly sitting on her shoulder, she strummed the ukulele.

Those who were in the in crowd said she was phony, not real, an actress. This strange girl began to capure the attention of all and suddenly, the eleveth grade experience was different. When she jumped and twirled at the games, the teams won. And watching, Leo notes that she somehow knows when someone is in crisis, has a loss, has a birthday, has something to celebrate. Singing individually to those whom she thinks need extra love, they find a candybar or a handmade card on their desk.

Leo is in love and head over heals smitten by this very unique girl. The air he breathes is chanrged with energy. And, of all the students, she picked him as her speciall friend.

All is well until Stargirl shows attention to a team mate of a rival school, who when playing had an injury. As Stargirl races across the court to help, a caphony of boos rains throughout the gym.

This is the defining turning point when she has taken her niceness too far and now much be punished! Shunned by all, Leo finds that to remain in a relationship with her, means he also will be on the outside looking in.

He must choose, and a very wise elderly man in the community reminds him that we make our choices based on our values. And, Leon must look deep to discover his values.

When the taunting and cruelty becomes overwhemling, Leo chooses popularity and advises Stargirl to be "normal." Changing her style of dress, and putting a lid on the niceness, she tries to change, for the sake of belonging.

When the star is dimmed, and she knows that if others cannot accept her, she still must accept herself and shine through, Leo runs with the herd.

I loved this book! How true, and how sad that in life those who are kind are perceived as phoney.

Those who are nice must pay a price.

Five BIG Stars for Stargirl!!! ( )
  Whisper1 | Aug 7, 2014 |
"..and at night I feel it is more than stars looking down on me."
Throughout the whole book, all I thought about was how vibrant, optimistic and kind Stargirl is. She's described as "different" by the people around her but aren't we all? And what i really really love about her is that she doesn't care about what people think of her! She might have tried to change herself and be "normal" to see if people will finally get her, but she is who she is. Stargirl. ( )
  PamZaragoza | Jun 27, 2014 |

Has as a student's study guide

To Eileen, my Stargirl
And to Loren Eiseley, who taught that even as we are, we are becoming
And to Sonny Liston
When I was little, my uncle Pete had a necktie with a porcupine painted on it.
I don't want to be like nobody.

Star girl is an extrodinary gilr. shes not the average teenage you would see on a daily basis. At first a everyonf likes her, they even ask her to be in the cheerleading squad. She has a high spirit in supporting everyone she meets. Some people thinks shes too wierd to hang around with but they end up sitting with her during lunch and even follow along when shes singing happy-birthdsy to someone they dont even know.

Righ now im in the middle of the book and just read that she likes Leo. she actually told him he was cute and now they are hanging out everyday. everyday after school they go uot in the dessert and meditate on being empty (as in not tinkng on anything or thinking about thinking.). on other occasions they go to the mall and play this game that stargirl invented. this yong couple is just right for each other since either one of them is ashamed of each other. Leo, is very popular, but when they are both together holding hands nobody wants ot talk to Leo or Stargirl. Ever since Stargirl helped a player from the other team, they all have hated her. thats the reason why nobody watns to talk to them when they are together or just Stargirl alone.

I just finished the book and im very surprised on the ending that happend.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440416779, Mass Market Paperback)

"She was homeschooling gone amok." "She was an alien." "Her parents were circus acrobats." These are only a few of the theories concocted to explain Stargirl Caraway, a new 10th grader at Arizona's Mica Area High School who wears pioneer dresses and kimonos to school, strums a ukulele in the cafeteria, laughs when there are no jokes, and dances when there is no music. The whole school, not exactly a "hotbed of nonconformity," is stunned by her, including our 16-year-old narrator Leo Borlock: "She was elusive. She was today. She was tomorrow. She was the faintest scent of a cactus flower, the flitting shadow of an elf owl."

In time, incredulity gives way to out-and-out adoration as the student body finds itself helpless to resist Stargirl's wide-eyed charm, pure-spirited friendliness, and penchant for celebrating the achievements of others. In the ultimate high school symbol of acceptance, she is even recruited as a cheerleader. Popularity, of course, is a fragile and fleeting state, and bit by bit, Mica sours on their new idol. Why is Stargirl showing up at the funerals of strangers? Worse, why does she cheer for the opposing basketball teams? The growing hostility comes to a head when she is verbally flogged by resentful students on Leo's televised Hot Seat show in an episode that is too terrible to air. While the playful, chin-held-high Stargirl seems impervious to the shunning that ensues, Leo, who is in the throes of first love (and therefore scornfully deemed "Starboy"), is not made of such strong stuff: "I became angry. I resented having to choose. I refused to choose. I imagined my life without her and without them, and I didn't like it either way."

Jerry Spinelli, author of Newbery Medalist Maniac Magee, Newbery Honor Book Wringer, and many other excellent books for teens, elegantly and accurately captures the collective, not-always-pretty emotions of a high school microcosm in which individuality is pitted against conformity. Spinelli's Stargirl is a supernatural teen character--absolutely egoless, altruistic, in touch with life's primitive rhythms, meditative, untouched by popular culture, and supremely self-confident. It is the sensitive Leo whom readers will relate to as he grapples with who she is, who he is, who they are together as Stargirl and Starboy, and indeed, what it means to be a human being on a planet that is rich with wonders. (Ages 10 to 14) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:17 -0400)

In this story about the perils of popularity, the courage of nonconformity, and the thrill of first love, an eccentric student named Stargirl changes Mica High School forever.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,010,186 books! | Top bar: Always visible