Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli

Stargirl (2000)

by Jerry Spinelli

Series: Stargirl (1)

Love, Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli (missnickynack)
    missnickynack: Its the sequel to Stargirl and it is equally as good.
    Weetzie Bat by Francesca Lia Block (kaionvin)
    Every Soul A Star by Wendy Mass (RidgewayGirl)
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: More average-boy-meets-life-changing-girl.
    Paper Towns by John Green (strandedon8jo)
    Becoming Chloe by Catherine Ryan Hyde (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Similarly innocent-but-wise female character.
    Loser by Jerry Spinelli (bookel)

English (296)  Italian (2)  Finnish (1)  All languages (299)
Stargirl is new at Mica High in Arizona. She’s different from the other kids: at lunch she strums a ukelele and sings “Happy Birthday,” puts candy on desks at holidays and performs assorted random acts of kindness. She is offbeat, eclectic, and crazy, and at first the kids don’t know what to make of her. Eventually she becomes popular and well-liked but fortunes turn and she becomes the school pariah. Leo falls in love with her but seeing how shunned she is, convinces her to act and dress “normal,” only to find that “normal” doesn’t make him or her happy.
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
The quirky tale of a girl that is not afraid to be different. It is an inspiring tale to be who you are with out fear.
  KassRuiz | Dec 3, 2015 |
Stargirl, to put it simply, is incredible. This book has such a strong message to share with young adolescents, primarily focusing on nonconformity and being true to yourself. The novel is narrated by Leo, a high school student with an affinity for porcupine neckties. At Leo's high school, everyone is focused on fitting in, squeezing themselves into their respective stereotypical roles. Things change with the arrival of Stargirl, the new student at Mica Area High School. Stargirl attends school in her own festive attire, cheers for both teams at sporting events, and plays the ukelele for anyone who cares to listen. Despite being ostracized by her classmates and questioned by many, she continues to enjoy life and inspire those around her with her vivacious, lively nature. The story has ups and downs, but collectively it's an impactful, insightful tale of a girl who never let societal pressures get the best of her, a girl who we can all look up to and hope to learn from. Stargirl spreads joy and compassion, and teaches readers to accept the little bit of Stargirl in all of us. ( )
  kdavis17 | Nov 5, 2015 |
Why in the world did I read Stargirl? It was laying there for three weeks on my coffee table. Same reason that at nine I read a book about WWII tank warfare in North Africa. And, Alexander Hamilton: Portrait in Paradox at 10. A book lies around long enough, I read it. Besides, people have told me I am Stargirl. Well, yes, and no. I am not at all an extrovert. Instead I am a recovering selective mute pretending to be a extrovert. However, I am a nonconformist, though not as dramatically, as extravagantly so.
So, Stargirl. I do not typically read YA fiction written after about 1977. When I do, I am usually disappointed. It is usually so lacking in substance. Too pat in its certainties. Too formulaic. Driven by codes of five year chics cycles. Currently, dystopias. Tomorrow? Angels? Who knows. I teach middle school so from time to time I read what they are reading.
I found Spinelli's writing style appealing. His book posed more questions than it answered thus passing the Chekov test. The character Stargirl seemed over the top, yet I have met some of Stargirls as over the top, though none seemed to radiate her well being or unawareness or their impact. In fact, they were ultra aware of their impact, posing, not being. Stargirl's change to ordinary seemed odd except she did like people, and people who like people like to be liked in return. Leo's infatuation and cowardice reads with a piercing honesty. It is the best thing about the book. I would not balk at reading Love, Stargirl if it found its way to my coffee table and sat for a bit, nor, another book by Spinelli.
Oddly enough I have been reading a book about another Pied Piper, Randle McMurphy of One Flew Over a Cuckoo's Nest.
(Star rating is based in comparison to other YA books, not adult literary fiction)
  lucybrown | Sep 27, 2015 |
  lucybrown | Sep 27, 2015 |

Jerry Spinelliprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Steinhöfel, AndreasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has as a student's study guide

To Eileen, my Stargirl
And to Loren Eiseley, who taught that even as we are, we are becoming
And to Sonny Liston
When I was little, my uncle Pete had a necktie with a porcupine painted on it.
I don't want to be like nobody.

Star girl is an extrodinary gilr. shes not the average teenage you would see on a daily basis. At first a everyonf likes her, they even ask her to be in the cheerleading squad. She has a high spirit in supporting everyone she meets. Some people thinks shes too wierd to hang around with but they end up sitting with her during lunch and even follow along when shes singing happy-birthdsy to someone they dont even know.

Righ now im in the middle of the book and just read that she likes Leo. she actually told him he was cute and now they are hanging out everyday. everyday after school they go uot in the dessert and meditate on being empty (as in not tinkng on anything or thinking about thinking.). on other occasions they go to the mall and play this game that stargirl invented. this yong couple is just right for each other since either one of them is ashamed of each other. Leo, is very popular, but when they are both together holding hands nobody wants ot talk to Leo or Stargirl. Ever since Stargirl helped a player from the other team, they all have hated her. thats the reason why nobody watns to talk to them when they are together or just Stargirl alone.

I just finished the book and im very surprised on the ending that happend.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440416779, Mass Market Paperback)

"She was homeschooling gone amok." "She was an alien." "Her parents were circus acrobats." These are only a few of the theories concocted to explain Stargirl Caraway, a new 10th grader at Arizona's Mica Area High School who wears pioneer dresses and kimonos to school, strums a ukulele in the cafeteria, laughs when there are no jokes, and dances when there is no music. The whole school, not exactly a "hotbed of nonconformity," is stunned by her, including our 16-year-old narrator Leo Borlock: "She was elusive. She was today. She was tomorrow. She was the faintest scent of a cactus flower, the flitting shadow of an elf owl."

In time, incredulity gives way to out-and-out adoration as the student body finds itself helpless to resist Stargirl's wide-eyed charm, pure-spirited friendliness, and penchant for celebrating the achievements of others. In the ultimate high school symbol of acceptance, she is even recruited as a cheerleader. Popularity, of course, is a fragile and fleeting state, and bit by bit, Mica sours on their new idol. Why is Stargirl showing up at the funerals of strangers? Worse, why does she cheer for the opposing basketball teams? The growing hostility comes to a head when she is verbally flogged by resentful students on Leo's televised Hot Seat show in an episode that is too terrible to air. While the playful, chin-held-high Stargirl seems impervious to the shunning that ensues, Leo, who is in the throes of first love (and therefore scornfully deemed "Starboy"), is not made of such strong stuff: "I became angry. I resented having to choose. I refused to choose. I imagined my life without her and without them, and I didn't like it either way."

Jerry Spinelli, author of Newbery Medalist Maniac Magee, Newbery Honor Book Wringer, and many other excellent books for teens, elegantly and accurately captures the collective, not-always-pretty emotions of a high school microcosm in which individuality is pitted against conformity. Spinelli's Stargirl is a supernatural teen character--absolutely egoless, altruistic, in touch with life's primitive rhythms, meditative, untouched by popular culture, and supremely self-confident. It is the sensitive Leo whom readers will relate to as he grapples with who she is, who he is, who they are together as Stargirl and Starboy, and indeed, what it means to be a human being on a planet that is rich with wonders. (Ages 10 to 14) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:22 -0400)

In this story about the perils of popularity, the courage of nonconformity, and the thrill of first love, an eccentric student named Stargirl changes Mica High School forever.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,169,831 books! | Top bar: Always visible