Stargirl (Stargirl Series) by Jerry Spinelli

Stargirl (Stargirl Series) (original 2000; edition 2002)

by Jerry Spinelli (Author)

Series: Stargirl (1)

Member:Meliss8065
Title:Stargirl (Stargirl Series)
Authors:Jerry Spinelli (Author)
Info:Ember (2002), Edition: Reprint, 208 pages
Collections:EDLM436
Rating:*****
Tags:CRF, YA

Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli (2000)

Love, Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli (missnickynack)
    missnickynack: Its the sequel to Stargirl and it is equally as good.
    Weetzie Bat by Francesca Lia Block (kaionvin)
    Every Soul A Star by Wendy Mass (RidgewayGirl)
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: More average-boy-meets-life-changing-girl.
    Paper Towns by John Green (strandedon8jo)
    Becoming Chloe by Catherine Ryan Hyde (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Similarly innocent-but-wise female character.
    Loser by Jerry Spinelli (bookel)

English (323)  Italian (2)  Finnish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (327)
One of my favorite books to recommend to upper elementary students, Stargirl tells the story of a new girl at Mica High who is very different. She dresses differently than the other kids and behaves very differently. Leo, the story's narrator, develops a friendship with Stargirl, but when she refuses to conform, things get pretty intense. Leo has to decide if it is more important to be popular or to be a good friend. ( )
  Meliss8065 | Jul 12, 2018 |
She's Got Books on Her Mind

I sort of read Stargirl a long time ago. It was a reading assignment for a Spanish class in Elementary school. It was a horrible experience. Me and my mother tried to translate the whole book so we would understand. We even got the English version but I still remembering hating it and possibly giving up on it. My mother felt the same way. So years afterwards I finally decided to read it again based on a suggestion. It is by Jerry Spinelli who is one of my favorite authors so I gave it the benefit of the doubt and started reading... and started smiling... and fell in love with the crazy character that is Stargirl. The girl who isn't afraid to be herself. To be goofy and to be fun. To be the most real part of her. The part of her that is in us and that we are told never to let out.

"We wanted to define her, to wrap her up as we did each other, but we could not seem to get past "weird" and "strange" and "goofy." Her ways knocked us off balance. A single word seemed to hover in the cloudless sky over the school: HUH?"

I really did not see this book coming. It's pretty profound in its own way especially how Archie, the retired Paleontologist who teaches kids everything about life and different topics, talked about who Stargirl is. Stargirl is very much real but she's more in touch with her real her. You know how for 12 years and up how we are told to sit in a chair and listen? Well I have always felt that sitting basically eight hours is not good for you. The way things are being taught are not with imagination either - all that goes away when you have to start studying for the major test at the end of the year. For me it was the dreaded FCAT. Such a waste of time.... My high school finance teacher always said that you need to think. Think for yourselves. And we were really taught otherwise. It's pretty sad but true. Stargirl seems to be the creation of the opposite of this. She lets herself be unabated by others. She isn't bothered or afraid about what other people think. It's refreshing.

"She was elusive. She was today. She was tomorrow. She was the faintest scent of a cactus flower, the flitting shadow of an elf owl. We did not know what to make of her. In our minds we tried to pin her to a corkboard like a butterfly, but the pin merely went through and away she flew."

Our narrator is Leo. Just a regular guy who figures out that Stargirl is real pretty quickly. He is fascinated by her yet reserved in those emotions. He's too timid, too embarrassed, and cares too much about what others think. You can tell that whatever he is talking about in the story he is recalling from memory so there is this sort of regret in his voice at times. Wanting to be braver than he was is what he regrets most of all. What I didn't expect because I did not read the summary was that he was going to be the love interest for Stargirl or that she was going to be the love interest for him. There's a certain moment that I know that there is going to start being romance in the story and it made me so excited. Stargirl becomes reachable and more of a tangible person when she is with him. It's nice. Their relationship was utterly adorable. I loved every minute of it. I also love that I get to read more of who Stargirl is in the sequel: Love, Stargirl. It's going to be fantastic.

So who's Stargirl? She's just - Stargirl. She's herself. She is a meditator, a friend to rats, a friend to everyone really, she cares about others and will do the nicest things for them even if they don't like her. She wears what she wants and does what she wants. She cheers for the other team. She's a great role model for kids and this book should be read to all the children of the world. And Leo is a sweetheart even if he was too timid to do what he knew was best. He sincerely cared about Stargirl and I love him for that. I loved hearing about Stargirl through him. This truly is one of those stories you never forget. Sigh... Jerry Spinelli you've done it again.

Overall: Simply fantastic! No complaints. The perfect book for all ages. ( )
  AdrianaGarcia | Jul 10, 2018 |
I read this book when I was seventh or eighth grade and I remember liking it. At the time I was in a very small parochial school and constantly felt the need to conform to the standards and ideals set for me by my peers so something with Stargirl resonated with me. Leo is student at Mica High School in Arizona and recounts the story of Stargirl, the colorful new girl who challenges the student status quo. She is eccentric and wears weird outfits, sings to people on their birthdays and has a bike covered in sunflowers. I think there's a great message of nonconformity here so I would recommend this book for students entering middle school and into high school when "pack mentality" begins to develop. ( )
  melissa_tullo | Jul 4, 2018 |
In this story about the perils of popularity, the courage of nonconformity, and the thrill of first love, an eccentric student named Stargirl changes Mica High School forever.
  unsoluble | Jan 20, 2018 |
Ehe... Intriguing at first. But.... Not so much in the end. ( )
  mpettit7974 | Dec 21, 2017 |

Jerry Spinelliprimary authorall editionscalculated
Steinhöfel, AndreasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has as a student's study guide

To Eileen, my Stargirl
And to Loren Eiseley, who taught that even as we are, we are becoming
And to Sonny Liston
When I was little, my uncle Pete had a necktie with a porcupine painted on it.
I don't want to be like nobody.

Star girl is an extrodinary gilr. shes not the average teenage you would see on a daily basis. At first a everyonf likes her, they even ask her to be in the cheerleading squad. She has a high spirit in supporting everyone she meets. Some people thinks shes too wierd to hang around with but they end up sitting with her during lunch and even follow along when shes singing happy-birthdsy to someone they dont even know.

Righ now im in the middle of the book and just read that she likes Leo. she actually told him he was cute and now they are hanging out everyday. everyday after school they go uot in the dessert and meditate on being empty (as in not tinkng on anything or thinking about thinking.). on other occasions they go to the mall and play this game that stargirl invented. this yong couple is just right for each other since either one of them is ashamed of each other. Leo, is very popular, but when they are both together holding hands nobody wants ot talk to Leo or Stargirl. Ever since Stargirl helped a player from the other team, they all have hated her. thats the reason why nobody watns to talk to them when they are together or just Stargirl alone.

I just finished the book and im very surprised on the ending that happend.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440416779, Mass Market Paperback)

"She was homeschooling gone amok." "She was an alien." "Her parents were circus acrobats." These are only a few of the theories concocted to explain Stargirl Caraway, a new 10th grader at Arizona's Mica Area High School who wears pioneer dresses and kimonos to school, strums a ukulele in the cafeteria, laughs when there are no jokes, and dances when there is no music. The whole school, not exactly a "hotbed of nonconformity," is stunned by her, including our 16-year-old narrator Leo Borlock: "She was elusive. She was today. She was tomorrow. She was the faintest scent of a cactus flower, the flitting shadow of an elf owl."

In time, incredulity gives way to out-and-out adoration as the student body finds itself helpless to resist Stargirl's wide-eyed charm, pure-spirited friendliness, and penchant for celebrating the achievements of others. In the ultimate high school symbol of acceptance, she is even recruited as a cheerleader. Popularity, of course, is a fragile and fleeting state, and bit by bit, Mica sours on their new idol. Why is Stargirl showing up at the funerals of strangers? Worse, why does she cheer for the opposing basketball teams? The growing hostility comes to a head when she is verbally flogged by resentful students on Leo's televised Hot Seat show in an episode that is too terrible to air. While the playful, chin-held-high Stargirl seems impervious to the shunning that ensues, Leo, who is in the throes of first love (and therefore scornfully deemed "Starboy"), is not made of such strong stuff: "I became angry. I resented having to choose. I refused to choose. I imagined my life without her and without them, and I didn't like it either way."

Jerry Spinelli, author of Newbery Medalist Maniac Magee, Newbery Honor Book Wringer, and many other excellent books for teens, elegantly and accurately captures the collective, not-always-pretty emotions of a high school microcosm in which individuality is pitted against conformity. Spinelli's Stargirl is a supernatural teen character--absolutely egoless, altruistic, in touch with life's primitive rhythms, meditative, untouched by popular culture, and supremely self-confident. It is the sensitive Leo whom readers will relate to as he grapples with who she is, who he is, who they are together as Stargirl and Starboy, and indeed, what it means to be a human being on a planet that is rich with wonders. (Ages 10 to 14) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:22 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,254,882 books! | Top bar: Always visible