Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli

Stargirl (original 2000; edition 2002)

by Jerry Spinelli

Series: Stargirl (1)

Member:stellaluna722
Title:Stargirl
Authors:Jerry Spinelli
Info:Knopf Books for Young Readers (2002), Paperback, 208 pages

Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli (2000)

Love, Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli (missnickynack)
    missnickynack: Its the sequel to Stargirl and it is equally as good.
    Weetzie Bat by Francesca Lia Block (kaionvin)
    Every Soul A Star by Wendy Mass (RidgewayGirl)
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: More average-boy-meets-life-changing-girl.
    Paper Towns by John Green (strandedon8jo)
    Becoming Chloe by Catherine Ryan Hyde (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Similarly innocent-but-wise female character.
    Loser by Jerry Spinelli (bookel)

English (329)  Italian (2)  Finnish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (333)
I loved it! ( )
  cougargirl1967 | Apr 10, 2019 |
Star Girl is about a girl named Star Girl, funny enough. She is a bit strange though. She wears odd clothing, plays the ukulele at lunch, sings to people on their birthday, and brings a rat to school. She doesn't care about what anybody else thinks. Which is good. But, people avoid her. No one wants to be her friend . She does. however, catch Leo's heart. They start hanging out. They get to know each other more. Eventually, they date. Leo starts to notice how people will part way when he goes down the hall, or ignores him in class, and no longer sits with him at lunch. He and his friend planned to put her on "The Hot Seat". They do, and everything just goes downhill from there. Her rat makes a scene, things fall over, they are humiliated, Leo and Star Girl break up, and Star Girl doesn't come to school for a little while. When she comes back, she isn't Star Girl anymore. She is now Susan, her original name. Susan who dresses like all the other girls. Susan who no longer brings a rat to school. Susan who becomes popular. Susan who blends in. Leo was honestly happy. He told her that she needed to fit in, and it seemed like she was actually trying. It was working, too. Then came the night of the dance. Let's skip to the end. Hilari Kimble slaps her. And instead of Susan (Star Girl) slapping her back, she simply kisses her in the cheek and walks away.
This book was honestly a tiny bit weird. But at the same time interesting. It had a really good message though. Just to be yourself. Don't let anyone judge you. Fitting in isn't always the best option. Its okay to be different sometimes. (okay maybe more than a few messages) I did enjoy this book, however. I liked Star Girl. I loved how chill she was. It cool how the author could think of such a character. I recommend it. ( )
  AleynaG.G1 | Mar 26, 2019 |
Stargirl (Jerry Spinelli) New York: Random House, 2000

Realistic Fiction, Middle Shool 186 pages

Summary:
A free spirited girl who calls herself Stargirl starts at a new school, drawing attention with her quirky ways. Leo notices her and watcher her quick rise to popularity. The student body gangs up against Stargirl and she is shunned an ignored. Leo tries to change her so she won't be shunned anymore only to fail and eventually lose his relationship with Stargirl.

Critique:
Stargirl and Leo are students in an everyday high school in America. Faced with the thought of loneliness or love, Leo struggles to choose. This journey is emotional and thought provoking.

Activity: (AFTER)
What would you do in Leo's place? Would you change for other people like Stargirl did? Think of a time where you felt like Leo, what did you do? If you could change what you did would you? Why or Why not?
  RachaelWilley | Feb 25, 2019 |
By far, one of the most poignant and simply sweet books I have read in a long time. Stargirl is one of those characters you either love, or hate. I loved her and I loved this book!

I cannot say much else, expect that I would highly recommend all children who can appreciate this book read it. If I had read this when I was in middle school, I think I would really have benefited from a story like this.

Now to figure out how to get Love, Stargirl so I can read that too! ( )
  roses7184 | Feb 5, 2019 |
Star Girl

This book is about a girl that goes by the name of star Girl. Star girl is a new student who was homeschooled. She wasn’t like any other kid in her class. She would bring her ukulele to school and sing to everyone, she would cheer for people just for fun. At first people thought she was weird and everyone would give her stares. But later in the school year she became popular, everyone wanted to be her friend. In fact these two kids named Kevin and Leo who chose her to be on their “hotseat”, which was following whoever was chosen to be on the hot seat which was star Girl, usually someone who stands out. Kevin and Leo were following star girl around and Leo started to have feeling for Star Girl and she did for hm so they became a couple. Later in the story Star Girl decided to go by her real name which was Susan. After she changed her name to Susan she didn't stand out as much because Susan is a regular common name in middle school unlike Star Girl. While this is going on a girl named Hilari Kimble, the antagonist of the story. She didn't like star girl and star girl wasn't fond of Hilari Kimble, of course Star Girl was too nice to hate someone. Susan changed her name back to Star Girl and even though she was back to “popular” she didn't stand out to anybody. At their school’s middle school dance Hilari Kimble slapped Star Girl across the face and everyone saw, people were waiting for a fight but instead of hitting back Star Girl kissed Hilari on the cheek. When Star Girl left the dance that was the last time anyone saw Star girl ever again.

I really enjoyed this book. Most books I read are intense or scary but this book was more playful, I didnt think Id like it because I don't usually pick up these types of book (happy) but I liked it a lot. I guess what they say is true, never judge a book from its cover. ( )
  SophiaA.G1 | Jan 16, 2019 |

Jerry Spinelliprimary authorall editionscalculated
Steinhöfel, AndreasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has as a student's study guide

To Eileen, my Stargirl
And to Loren Eiseley, who taught that even as we are, we are becoming
And to Sonny Liston
When I was little, my uncle Pete had a necktie with a porcupine painted on it.
I don't want to be like nobody.

Star girl is an extrodinary gilr. shes not the average teenage you would see on a daily basis. At first a everyonf likes her, they even ask her to be in the cheerleading squad. She has a high spirit in supporting everyone she meets. Some people thinks shes too wierd to hang around with but they end up sitting with her during lunch and even follow along when shes singing happy-birthdsy to someone they dont even know.

Righ now im in the middle of the book and just read that she likes Leo. she actually told him he was cute and now they are hanging out everyday. everyday after school they go uot in the dessert and meditate on being empty (as in not tinkng on anything or thinking about thinking.). on other occasions they go to the mall and play this game that stargirl invented. this yong couple is just right for each other since either one of them is ashamed of each other. Leo, is very popular, but when they are both together holding hands nobody wants ot talk to Leo or Stargirl. Ever since Stargirl helped a player from the other team, they all have hated her. thats the reason why nobody watns to talk to them when they are together or just Stargirl alone.

I just finished the book and im very surprised on the ending that happend.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440416779, Mass Market Paperback)

"She was homeschooling gone amok." "She was an alien." "Her parents were circus acrobats." These are only a few of the theories concocted to explain Stargirl Caraway, a new 10th grader at Arizona's Mica Area High School who wears pioneer dresses and kimonos to school, strums a ukulele in the cafeteria, laughs when there are no jokes, and dances when there is no music. The whole school, not exactly a "hotbed of nonconformity," is stunned by her, including our 16-year-old narrator Leo Borlock: "She was elusive. She was today. She was tomorrow. She was the faintest scent of a cactus flower, the flitting shadow of an elf owl."

In time, incredulity gives way to out-and-out adoration as the student body finds itself helpless to resist Stargirl's wide-eyed charm, pure-spirited friendliness, and penchant for celebrating the achievements of others. In the ultimate high school symbol of acceptance, she is even recruited as a cheerleader. Popularity, of course, is a fragile and fleeting state, and bit by bit, Mica sours on their new idol. Why is Stargirl showing up at the funerals of strangers? Worse, why does she cheer for the opposing basketball teams? The growing hostility comes to a head when she is verbally flogged by resentful students on Leo's televised Hot Seat show in an episode that is too terrible to air. While the playful, chin-held-high Stargirl seems impervious to the shunning that ensues, Leo, who is in the throes of first love (and therefore scornfully deemed "Starboy"), is not made of such strong stuff: "I became angry. I resented having to choose. I refused to choose. I imagined my life without her and without them, and I didn't like it either way."

Jerry Spinelli, author of Newbery Medalist Maniac Magee, Newbery Honor Book Wringer, and many other excellent books for teens, elegantly and accurately captures the collective, not-always-pretty emotions of a high school microcosm in which individuality is pitted against conformity. Spinelli's Stargirl is a supernatural teen character--absolutely egoless, altruistic, in touch with life's primitive rhythms, meditative, untouched by popular culture, and supremely self-confident. It is the sensitive Leo whom readers will relate to as he grapples with who she is, who he is, who they are together as Stargirl and Starboy, and indeed, what it means to be a human being on a planet that is rich with wonders. (Ages 10 to 14) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:22 -0400)

In this story about the perils of popularity, the courage of nonconformity, and the thrill of first love, an eccentric student named Stargirl changes Mica High School forever.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,096,983 books! | Top bar: Always visible