Stargirl (Readers Circle) by Jerry Spinelli

Stargirl (Readers Circle) (original 2000; edition 2004)

by Jerry Spinelli

Series: Stargirl (1)

Member:Elizabeth22
Title:Stargirl (Readers Circle)
Authors:Jerry Spinelli
Info:Laurel Leaf (2004), Edition: Reissue, Mass Market Paperback, 208 pages
Collections:Your library, 2012, BRIS Book Club
Tags:YA, high school, contemporary realistic fiction, romance, outsiders

Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli (2000)

Love, Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli (missnickynack)
    missnickynack: Its the sequel to Stargirl and it is equally as good.
    Weetzie Bat by Francesca Lia Block (kaionvin)
    Every Soul A Star by Wendy Mass (RidgewayGirl)
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: More average-boy-meets-life-changing-girl.
    Paper Towns by John Green (strandedon8jo)
    Becoming Chloe by Catherine Ryan Hyde (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Similarly innocent-but-wise female character.
    Loser by Jerry Spinelli (bookel)

English (305)  Italian (2)  Finnish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (309)
Read again before reading the sequel. I wish I were younger, more innocent, less cynical - I just didn't enjoy it as much as I did the first times. Just too implausible. But, as fantasies go, if it were possible for a girl to be as uniquely unspoilt as Stargirl, it's a sweet read.

Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
I'm a sucker for well-written young-adult books about the perils of nonconformity. Stargirl may be a too-good-to-be-true heroine. She seems almost saintlike when contrasted with the popular, mean-kid forces of her high school. Spinelli smartly made the male narrator a wishy-washy teen like a lot of us at that age. I want to strangle him for being so weak, but I can't say I would've done any better. It's been a few years; I want to read this book again real soon. ( )
  Bill.Dawson | Apr 13, 2016 |
A friend told me that I should read this book (and it's sequel) because she thought I'd enjoy them. Boy, was she right. I enjoy the enigma of a girl who just doesn't seem to fit into any one mold. Someone who cares more about helping other people than about what people think about her. I think this book would be great required reading for middle school kids, to show that you don't have to be "normal" to be loved, or to be a good person. That maybe being popular isn't the most important thing. I've not read the sequel yet, but I am very much looking forward to it. ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
This book caught my eye during a class discussion, so I decided to go pick it up at my local Barnes & Noble. After holding the book in my hands, I thought how this book would really make a great addition in my library. I have not purchased any new chapter books lately and “Stargirl” by Jerry Spinelli is being transformed into a major motion picture. As if I did not have enough reasons to pick up this book, there is also a second book that I will definitely be purchasing.

Overall, I loved this book. This book is similar to books I used to read as a teen growing up and reading this book brought be back to a time where I was constantly getting lost in books. This book is told in the main character’s perspective. His name is Leo and he is in high school. A new girl attends his school after being homeschooled her entire life. Her name is Stargirl.

Everyone at school obsesses over her individuality because she is attending a school of conformity. Stargirl dances to the beat of her own drum. She attends random people’s funerals, sings to people in the cafeteria on their birthday, sends random people cards in the mail unsigned. She is different.

Leo is attracted to this girl, but does not want to show it. He is intrigued by her and even follows her home from school. He does not understand her at all. They become close as the story progresses and it is interesting to see what Stargirl is up to.

Stargirl is a person of love, not hate. Even when people at school shun her and never speak to her, she never stops performing her random acts of kindness. She definitely does not care what others think and you can see that by the way she dresses and acts. Stargirl is one of the biggest mysteries this town has met.

Read “Stargirl“ by Jerry Spinelli and feel the overall message that being who you are as an individual is far more interesting than conforming to your peers in order to fit in. I loved the message of this story and makes me think about all the different people I have met in my life and how everyone should embrace one another’s differences rather than point them out or punish them by leaving them out. ( )
  rleary2 | Apr 4, 2016 |
A great depiction of how much we strive to fit in to a social class and how much we might even change our true selves to do so. ( )
  lambc81181 | Mar 30, 2016 |

Jerry Spinelliprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Steinhöfel, AndreasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has as a student's study guide

To Eileen, my Stargirl
And to Loren Eiseley, who taught that even as we are, we are becoming
And to Sonny Liston
When I was little, my uncle Pete had a necktie with a porcupine painted on it.
I don't want to be like nobody.

Star girl is an extrodinary gilr. shes not the average teenage you would see on a daily basis. At first a everyonf likes her, they even ask her to be in the cheerleading squad. She has a high spirit in supporting everyone she meets. Some people thinks shes too wierd to hang around with but they end up sitting with her during lunch and even follow along when shes singing happy-birthdsy to someone they dont even know.

Righ now im in the middle of the book and just read that she likes Leo. she actually told him he was cute and now they are hanging out everyday. everyday after school they go uot in the dessert and meditate on being empty (as in not tinkng on anything or thinking about thinking.). on other occasions they go to the mall and play this game that stargirl invented. this yong couple is just right for each other since either one of them is ashamed of each other. Leo, is very popular, but when they are both together holding hands nobody wants ot talk to Leo or Stargirl. Ever since Stargirl helped a player from the other team, they all have hated her. thats the reason why nobody watns to talk to them when they are together or just Stargirl alone.

I just finished the book and im very surprised on the ending that happend.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440416779, Mass Market Paperback)

"She was homeschooling gone amok." "She was an alien." "Her parents were circus acrobats." These are only a few of the theories concocted to explain Stargirl Caraway, a new 10th grader at Arizona's Mica Area High School who wears pioneer dresses and kimonos to school, strums a ukulele in the cafeteria, laughs when there are no jokes, and dances when there is no music. The whole school, not exactly a "hotbed of nonconformity," is stunned by her, including our 16-year-old narrator Leo Borlock: "She was elusive. She was today. She was tomorrow. She was the faintest scent of a cactus flower, the flitting shadow of an elf owl."

In time, incredulity gives way to out-and-out adoration as the student body finds itself helpless to resist Stargirl's wide-eyed charm, pure-spirited friendliness, and penchant for celebrating the achievements of others. In the ultimate high school symbol of acceptance, she is even recruited as a cheerleader. Popularity, of course, is a fragile and fleeting state, and bit by bit, Mica sours on their new idol. Why is Stargirl showing up at the funerals of strangers? Worse, why does she cheer for the opposing basketball teams? The growing hostility comes to a head when she is verbally flogged by resentful students on Leo's televised Hot Seat show in an episode that is too terrible to air. While the playful, chin-held-high Stargirl seems impervious to the shunning that ensues, Leo, who is in the throes of first love (and therefore scornfully deemed "Starboy"), is not made of such strong stuff: "I became angry. I resented having to choose. I refused to choose. I imagined my life without her and without them, and I didn't like it either way."

Jerry Spinelli, author of Newbery Medalist Maniac Magee, Newbery Honor Book Wringer, and many other excellent books for teens, elegantly and accurately captures the collective, not-always-pretty emotions of a high school microcosm in which individuality is pitted against conformity. Spinelli's Stargirl is a supernatural teen character--absolutely egoless, altruistic, in touch with life's primitive rhythms, meditative, untouched by popular culture, and supremely self-confident. It is the sensitive Leo whom readers will relate to as he grapples with who she is, who he is, who they are together as Stargirl and Starboy, and indeed, what it means to be a human being on a planet that is rich with wonders. (Ages 10 to 14) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:22 -0400)

In this story about the perils of popularity, the courage of nonconformity, and the thrill of first love, an eccentric student named Stargirl changes Mica High School forever.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,389,353 books! | Top bar: Always visible