Stargirl (Readers Circle) by Jerry Spinelli

Stargirl (Readers Circle) (original 2000; edition 2004)

by Jerry Spinelli

Member:Elizabeth22
Title:Stargirl (Readers Circle)
Authors:Jerry Spinelli
Info:Laurel Leaf (2004), Edition: Reissue, Mass Market Paperback, 208 pages
Collections:Your library, 2012, BRIS Book Club
Tags:YA, high school, contemporary realistic fiction, romance, outsiders

Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli (2000)

Love, Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli (missnickynack)
    missnickynack: Its the sequel to Stargirl and it is equally as good.
    Every Soul A Star by Wendy Mass (RidgewayGirl)
    Paper Towns by John Green (strandedon8jo)
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: More average-boy-meets-life-changing-girl.
    Becoming Chloe by Catherine Ryan Hyde (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Similarly innocent-but-wise female character.
    Loser by Jerry Spinelli (bookel)
    Weetzie Bat by Francesca Lia Block (kaionvin)

English (261)  Italian (2)  Finnish (1)  All languages (264)
"..and at night I feel it is more than stars looking down on me."
Throughout the whole book, all I thought about was how vibrant, optimistic and kind Stargirl is. She's described as "different" by the people around her but aren't we all? And what i really really love about her is that she doesn't care about what people think of her! She might have tried to change herself and be "normal" to see if people will finally get her, but she is who she is. Stargirl. ( )
  PamZaragoza | Jun 27, 2014 |
I don't remember when I read this book. I read it a long time ago, and I liked it. ( )
  stephanie.dicesare.7 | Jun 25, 2014 |
This book is so magical, it really is. I don't think I'll ever come across a character like Stargirl again. What really brings the intrigue is that Leo narrates, meaning we never really get in her head, she becomes as much of a mystery to the reader as she does to all those who encounter her. Unique doesn't really cover it with her. I loved how considerate she was, I for one would love it if someone sang happy birthday to me, since it never happens.

Its really lovely, anyone of any age can appreciate it, and I really hope more do. ( )
  katie1802 | May 10, 2014 |
In this novel, Stargirl, an eccentric teen, is a new student at Mica High School. At first the other students are enchanted by Stargirl, but later they turn on her. ( )
  WizardsofWorch | Apr 21, 2014 |
Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli is about a eccentric young girl named Stargirl Caraway who comes to Mica High School after being homeschooled all her life. She is carefree, funny, and free spirited and immediately loved and liked by all. That is until the student body figures out how "different" she is and as we all know, different in high school is not always a good thing. In Stargirl's case, it becomes a very bad thing as she is soon shunned and anyone who associates with her becomes shunned as well such as a young man named Leo who finds himself in love with her. Leo is torn between loving her the way she is and wanting her to be normal so that the two of them can fit in with everyone else. He convinces her to act normal, which she does try to do, but it doesn't work. The other students continue to treat her as invisible until .....

Well, you'll have to read the book to find out what happens in the end but I have to say, not being a huge fan of young adult or juvenile fiction, which I did not know this was until I was deep into the first chapter, this book is captivating and very well written. I found myself unable to put it down and finished it within a day or so. Fantastic for adults and children alike. Read it then give it to your child to read. I think we will all learn a thing or two from this novel. ( )
  clayhollow | Apr 8, 2014 |

Has as a student's study guide

To Eileen, my Stargirl
And to Loren Eiseley, who taught that even as we are, we are becoming
And to Sonny Liston
When I was little, my uncle Pete had a necktie with a porcupine painted on it.
I don't want to be like nobody.

Star girl is an extrodinary gilr. shes not the average teenage you would see on a daily basis. At first a everyonf likes her, they even ask her to be in the cheerleading squad. She has a high spirit in supporting everyone she meets. Some people thinks shes too wierd to hang around with but they end up sitting with her during lunch and even follow along when shes singing happy-birthdsy to someone they dont even know.

Righ now im in the middle of the book and just read that she likes Leo. she actually told him he was cute and now they are hanging out everyday. everyday after school they go uot in the dessert and meditate on being empty (as in not tinkng on anything or thinking about thinking.). on other occasions they go to the mall and play this game that stargirl invented. this yong couple is just right for each other since either one of them is ashamed of each other. Leo, is very popular, but when they are both together holding hands nobody wants ot talk to Leo or Stargirl. Ever since Stargirl helped a player from the other team, they all have hated her. thats the reason why nobody watns to talk to them when they are together or just Stargirl alone.

I just finished the book and im very surprised on the ending that happend.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440416779, Mass Market Paperback)

"She was homeschooling gone amok." "She was an alien." "Her parents were circus acrobats." These are only a few of the theories concocted to explain Stargirl Caraway, a new 10th grader at Arizona's Mica Area High School who wears pioneer dresses and kimonos to school, strums a ukulele in the cafeteria, laughs when there are no jokes, and dances when there is no music. The whole school, not exactly a "hotbed of nonconformity," is stunned by her, including our 16-year-old narrator Leo Borlock: "She was elusive. She was today. She was tomorrow. She was the faintest scent of a cactus flower, the flitting shadow of an elf owl."

In time, incredulity gives way to out-and-out adoration as the student body finds itself helpless to resist Stargirl's wide-eyed charm, pure-spirited friendliness, and penchant for celebrating the achievements of others. In the ultimate high school symbol of acceptance, she is even recruited as a cheerleader. Popularity, of course, is a fragile and fleeting state, and bit by bit, Mica sours on their new idol. Why is Stargirl showing up at the funerals of strangers? Worse, why does she cheer for the opposing basketball teams? The growing hostility comes to a head when she is verbally flogged by resentful students on Leo's televised Hot Seat show in an episode that is too terrible to air. While the playful, chin-held-high Stargirl seems impervious to the shunning that ensues, Leo, who is in the throes of first love (and therefore scornfully deemed "Starboy"), is not made of such strong stuff: "I became angry. I resented having to choose. I refused to choose. I imagined my life without her and without them, and I didn't like it either way."

Jerry Spinelli, author of Newbery Medalist Maniac Magee, Newbery Honor Book Wringer, and many other excellent books for teens, elegantly and accurately captures the collective, not-always-pretty emotions of a high school microcosm in which individuality is pitted against conformity. Spinelli's Stargirl is a supernatural teen character--absolutely egoless, altruistic, in touch with life's primitive rhythms, meditative, untouched by popular culture, and supremely self-confident. It is the sensitive Leo whom readers will relate to as he grapples with who she is, who he is, who they are together as Stargirl and Starboy, and indeed, what it means to be a human being on a planet that is rich with wonders. (Ages 10 to 14) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:17 -0400)

In this story about the perils of popularity, the courage of nonconformity, and the thrill of first love, an eccentric student named Stargirl changes Mica High School forever.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,485,039 books! | Top bar: Always visible