Stargirl (Readers Circle) by Jerry Spinelli

Stargirl (Readers Circle) (original 2000; edition 2004)

by Jerry Spinelli

Series: Stargirl (1)

Title:Stargirl (Readers Circle)
Authors:Jerry Spinelli
Info:Laurel Leaf (2004), Edition: Reissue, Mass Market Paperback, 208 pages
Collections:Your library, 2012, BRIS Book Club
Tags:YA, high school, contemporary realistic fiction, romance, outsiders

Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli (2000)

Love, Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli (missnickynack)
    missnickynack: Its the sequel to Stargirl and it is equally as good.
    Weetzie Bat by Francesca Lia Block (kaionvin)
    Every Soul A Star by Wendy Mass (RidgewayGirl)
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: More average-boy-meets-life-changing-girl.
    Paper Towns by John Green (strandedon8jo)
    Becoming Chloe by Catherine Ryan Hyde (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Similarly innocent-but-wise female character.
    Loser by Jerry Spinelli (bookel)

English (309)  Italian (2)  Finnish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (313)
In my opinion this is a great book for older students. The writing is so organized and flows to really make the reader engaged in the story. The language is clear and detailed which allows the reader to really be able to visualize the story unfold and feel like they are in the story themselves. A great example of this is when Stargirl is first introduced. "She wore an off-white dress so long it covered her shoes. It had ruffles around the neck and cuffs and looked like it could have been her great grandmother's wedding gown. Her hair was the color of sand. It fell to her shoulders." The description is so clear and vivid it is like the reader is right there looking at Stargirl themselves, it makes the story engaging and interesting. This vivid writing makes the story fun and engaging and encourages students to read. Another reason this book is so great is because the plot. There are so many twists and turns in this book! It also has a sort of sad ending but it makes the story even more riveting for the reader. I think the plot keeps the reader wanting to read on to find out what will happen next. Stargirl is always doing something unexpected from singing happy birthday to everyone with her ukulele, to cheering for the other team to starting a mambo line at the homecoming! All of her actions and then Leo's reactions really propel the plot. When it twists and the town no longer likes her the reader is hurt and sad and they want to keep reading to see what is going to happen. The reader wants the town to love Stargirl again and for her and Leo to get back together and for him to realize you do not have to be like everyone else. But at the end that does not happen, Stargirl actually moves away before Leo can see her again after the homecoming! It is such a shocking event and it makes the reader really feel invested into the plot, the story and its characters. The plot and vivid detail found in the writing really make this book a great read and would be very interesting and encouraging for older readers. The main message of this book is to not be afraid to be yourself and to chow kindness to everyone. This was taught to everyone in the town thanks to Stargirl. ( )
  cduboi2 | Oct 20, 2016 |
This is an awesome book that shows how common conformity is in schools, especially junior high and high schools. It also shows how truly wonderful it is to be individualistic and not be weighed down by the people and circumstances around us. It is an easy read and I would suggest it to any adolescent reader. ( )
  achclaire | Oct 10, 2016 |
I didn't really enjoy this book. For a realistic fiction book, it seemed very unrealistic to me. I would have an easier time believing this story if the characters had been in middle school rather than juniors in high school. I just couldn't imagine any 16 year olds acting the way that these characters did. However, I do think that many younger kids might enjoy this book. ( )
  enp80 | Oct 6, 2016 |
I loved this so much. It was beautifully cheesy and heartbreaking. Stargirl is basically what would have happened if Luna Lovegood had been raised in the muggle world. I really liked how the "different person" (every story needs one somewhere, whether it's the chosen one or the outcast) is observed by the narrator rather than being the narrator herself. It made it a lot easier to understand Leo's frustrations and conflict between whose approval he prioritizes. I was legitimately upset with Leo when he was proud of Stargirl for "normalizing" herself, which shows me that I perceived him as a real person, so props to Spinelli for character development! The writing is especially beautiful on a micro level. I adore how Spinelli brings out specific tiny details that hold ginormous connotations! ( )
  theCamille | Oct 4, 2016 |
Read again before reading the sequel. I wish I were younger, more innocent, less cynical - I just didn't enjoy it as much as I did the first times. Just too implausible. But, as fantasies go, if it were possible for a girl to be as uniquely unspoilt as Stargirl, it's a sweet read.

Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |

Jerry Spinelliprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Steinhöfel, AndreasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has as a student's study guide

To Eileen, my Stargirl
And to Loren Eiseley, who taught that even as we are, we are becoming
And to Sonny Liston
When I was little, my uncle Pete had a necktie with a porcupine painted on it.
I don't want to be like nobody.

Star girl is an extrodinary gilr. shes not the average teenage you would see on a daily basis. At first a everyonf likes her, they even ask her to be in the cheerleading squad. She has a high spirit in supporting everyone she meets. Some people thinks shes too wierd to hang around with but they end up sitting with her during lunch and even follow along when shes singing happy-birthdsy to someone they dont even know.

Righ now im in the middle of the book and just read that she likes Leo. she actually told him he was cute and now they are hanging out everyday. everyday after school they go uot in the dessert and meditate on being empty (as in not tinkng on anything or thinking about thinking.). on other occasions they go to the mall and play this game that stargirl invented. this yong couple is just right for each other since either one of them is ashamed of each other. Leo, is very popular, but when they are both together holding hands nobody wants ot talk to Leo or Stargirl. Ever since Stargirl helped a player from the other team, they all have hated her. thats the reason why nobody watns to talk to them when they are together or just Stargirl alone.

I just finished the book and im very surprised on the ending that happend.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440416779, Mass Market Paperback)

"She was homeschooling gone amok." "She was an alien." "Her parents were circus acrobats." These are only a few of the theories concocted to explain Stargirl Caraway, a new 10th grader at Arizona's Mica Area High School who wears pioneer dresses and kimonos to school, strums a ukulele in the cafeteria, laughs when there are no jokes, and dances when there is no music. The whole school, not exactly a "hotbed of nonconformity," is stunned by her, including our 16-year-old narrator Leo Borlock: "She was elusive. She was today. She was tomorrow. She was the faintest scent of a cactus flower, the flitting shadow of an elf owl."

In time, incredulity gives way to out-and-out adoration as the student body finds itself helpless to resist Stargirl's wide-eyed charm, pure-spirited friendliness, and penchant for celebrating the achievements of others. In the ultimate high school symbol of acceptance, she is even recruited as a cheerleader. Popularity, of course, is a fragile and fleeting state, and bit by bit, Mica sours on their new idol. Why is Stargirl showing up at the funerals of strangers? Worse, why does she cheer for the opposing basketball teams? The growing hostility comes to a head when she is verbally flogged by resentful students on Leo's televised Hot Seat show in an episode that is too terrible to air. While the playful, chin-held-high Stargirl seems impervious to the shunning that ensues, Leo, who is in the throes of first love (and therefore scornfully deemed "Starboy"), is not made of such strong stuff: "I became angry. I resented having to choose. I refused to choose. I imagined my life without her and without them, and I didn't like it either way."

Jerry Spinelli, author of Newbery Medalist Maniac Magee, Newbery Honor Book Wringer, and many other excellent books for teens, elegantly and accurately captures the collective, not-always-pretty emotions of a high school microcosm in which individuality is pitted against conformity. Spinelli's Stargirl is a supernatural teen character--absolutely egoless, altruistic, in touch with life's primitive rhythms, meditative, untouched by popular culture, and supremely self-confident. It is the sensitive Leo whom readers will relate to as he grapples with who she is, who he is, who they are together as Stargirl and Starboy, and indeed, what it means to be a human being on a planet that is rich with wonders. (Ages 10 to 14) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:22 -0400)

In this story about the perils of popularity, the courage of nonconformity, and the thrill of first love, an eccentric student named Stargirl changes Mica High School forever.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,816,691 books! | Top bar: Always visible