dismiss

Der Wolkenatlas (Cloud Atlas) 17 Audio CDs…

Der Wolkenatlas (Cloud Atlas) 17 Audio CDs (original 2004; edition 2012)

by David Mitchell

14,561600266 (4.11)4 / 1324
Recounts the connected stories of people from the past and the distant future, from a nineteenth-century notary and an investigative journalist in the 1970s to a young man who searches for meaning in a post-apocalyptic world.
Member:CrazyTabasco
Title:Der Wolkenatlas (Cloud Atlas) 17 Audio CDs
Authors:David Mitchell
Info:Kuebler Hörbuch (Intergroove) (2012), Edition: 1, Audio CD, 1 pages

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell (2004)

If on a Winter's Night a Traveler by Italo Calvino (Ludi_Ling)
    Ludi_Ling: Different yet both well-written approaches to meta-fiction.
    The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet by David Mitchell (pgmcc)
    pgmcc: Really enjoyable set of related stories with the author's well deomonstrated skill
    The Years of Rice and Salt by Kim Stanley Robinson (TomWaitsTables, PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: A theme of reincarnation used to balance Karma flows through the story.
    Riddley Walker by Russell Hoban (Rynooo, browner56, pfeldman)
    browner56: Highly imaginative works, particularly the phonetic recreations of the English language
    Number9Dream by David Mitchell (PghDragonMan)
    The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood (JenMDB)
    A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan (jbvm, souloftherose)
    jbvm: Without giving anything away, after you've read both you'll understand my recommendation.
    souloftherose: Both novels are occasionally experimental in style with interconnected short stories. They are also both very good.
    Life After Life by Kate Atkinson (JenMDB, sturlington)
    sturlington: Both have unusual narrative structures and explore the theme of reincarnation.
    Black Swan Green by David Mitchell (PghDragonMan)
    Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann (novelcommentary)
    Gods Without Men by Hari Kunzru (Tinwara)
    The Islanders by Christopher Priest (tetrachromat)
    The Castle of Crossed Destinies by Italo Calvino (Ludi_Ling)
    Ludi_Ling: For those interested in disparate yet intertwining narratives of a somewhat fantastical nature.
    The Children of Men by P. D. James (JenMDB)
    Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel (generalkala)
    generalkala: Similar multi-strand, multi-era novel.
    Girl Reading by Katie Ward (rarm)
    rarm: Girl Reading isn't as intricately constructed as Cloud Atlas, but both books use linked stories to carry a theme through the centuries and into the future.
    Elysium by Jennifer Marie Brissett (ansate)
    The Stone Gods by Jeanette Winterson (doryfish)
    doryfish: Both novels have a theme of eternal recurrence.
    Join by Steve Toutonghi (47degreesnorth)
    Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (sturlington)

English (582)  Dutch (6)  French (3)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  Finnish (1)  Czech (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (599)
Loved the structure and the way the connections between sections were more subtle than other novels made up of linked stories. David Mitchell speaks fluently through each section's different voice, but it generally took me several pages to get the hang of a new style. As a whole, a beautiful book. ( )
  nancyjean19 | Jun 3, 2020 |
Amazing work of imagination. Meticulous attention to detail. Prose is lovely, story well-crafted. The kind of philosophical novel Forster wishes, from his grave, he had written. ( )
  TheaJean | Jun 2, 2020 |
Finally done with this garbage. To say at the beginning, yes I did complete this book.

After I started reading this book, I started reading some of the reviews for this book (and the movie when it was released). I will say this - you either hate or love this book. I HATE this book.

I was promised this book would come together, but it did not. The first parts of this book (I'd say the first 60%) makes no sense and sets up the last parts. However, the payoff is awful.

As many have noted, essentially this is 6 short stories tied together extremely weakly. The idea of the book was pretty interesting and some of the stories themselves were entertaining, but the writing was horrendous. Hated. It. ( )
  cgfaulknerog | May 28, 2020 |
“Spent the fortnight gone in the music room,” writes Robert Frobisher in a letter to Rufus Sixsmith, “reworking my year’s fragments into a ‘sextet for overlapping soloists’: piano, clarinet, ‘cello, flute, oboe and violin, each in its own language of key, scale and colour. In the 1st set, each solo is interrupted by its successor; in the 2nd, each interruption is recontinued, in order.”

The story, structured in six parts, about how this story came to be in the first place. Caught in the middle are some very interesting characters, some more than others, and the world is governed by a definite determinist sense of cosmic fate. Each in its own language and color; all of this is expertly written, even when it’s “mediocre”, as in the pulp story that is Half-Lives: The First Luisa Rey Mystery, or The Ghastly Ordeal of Timothy Cavendish.

“It is very rare,” writes Philip Hensher for Spectator, “to come across a novel so ruthlessly planned, and yet so unconfined by its formal decisions, so unpredictable in its direction, so convincing even at its strangest, so capable of doing anything to serve its extraordinary ends.” This is an acute observation. The way the stories grow out of and in each other, synecdochically, is masterful. This device is one of my favorites in all art, the means through which the art produced is not only justified but its creation commented on: the Cloud Atlas Sextet; Half-Lives inspires Cavendish to write his story to a screenplay that is later watched by Sonmi-451, whose narrative is later “seen” by Zachry in the orison.

It’s brilliantly pieced together, where each layer contained is able to comment on the previous one – Frobisher commenting, for example, that he finds it amusing that Ewing doesn’t realize he’s being poisoned.

I devoured the book until the story started folding back into itself. Half-Lives and Cavendish were the parts where I saw my excitement wane. Zedelghem and Ewing’s Pacific Diaries, however, offered a great sense of climax. The difficulty of writing this kind of prose is unfathomable – the ideas always tend to work as mere ideas, but when put to paper as a narrative, the likelihood of failure exponentially rises.For the most part Mitchell’s creation is perfectly capable of avoiding any narrative snares. I want to read this again, and perhaps one day the individual stories from start to finish, just to see the kind of dramatic effect they carry in and of themselves.

5 October,
2014 ( )
  Thay1234 | May 27, 2020 |
If you could create a thing, only one, great, thing, in your lifetime, would you do it?

Cloud Atlas is such a creation from David Mitchell - like the Cloud Atlas Sextet by Robert Frobisher, I would be happy with myself if this book were the only think I ever gave the world. Such neatness that connects one story with another that I never felt lost - instead I just followed along with the narrative as it turned and tossed me first from the past to the future; and then from the future to the past, near the very first point where I started.

Truly, if you are thinking about starting your new year with a new book, pick this up. You will not be disappointed. ( )
  MahiShafiullah | May 25, 2020 |
It felt like reading multiple stories from six different authors all on a common theme, yet all these disparate characters connect, their fates intertwine, and their souls drift across time like clouds across a globe.

Cloud Atlas is powerful and elegant because of Mitchell's understanding of the way we respond to those fundamental and primitive stories we tell about good and evil, love and destruction, beginnings and ends. He isn't afraid to jerk tears or ratchet up suspense - he understands that's what we make stories for.

Mitchell, Davidprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Campbell, CassandraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Guest, Kim MaiNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Matthews, RichardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mijn, Aad van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Oldenburg, VolkerTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

For Hana and her grandparents.
Beyond the Indian hamlet, upon a forlorn strand, I happened on a trail of recent footprints.
Oh, once you've been initiated into the Elderly, the world doesn't want you back.
Sometimes the fluffy bunny of incredulity zooms around the bend so rapidly that the greyhound of language is left, agog, in the starting cage.
The stationmaster's whistle blew on time, the locomotive strained like a gouty proctor on the pot before heaving itself into motion.
"Are you mad?"
Always a trickier question than it looks. "I doubt it."
Souls cross ages like clouds cross skies.

The book consists of six nested stories that take us from the remote South Pacific in the nineteenth century to a distant, post-apocalyptic future. Each tale is revealed to be a story that is read (or watched) by the main character in the next.
Looping, linking time/
chaining space, land seasalt drifting/
visual lyric threads
The literary
equivalent of Marmite –
you love or hate it.
(passion4reading)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,748,351 books! | Top bar: Always visible