Cloud Atlas: A Novel by David Mitchell

Cloud Atlas: A Novel (original 2004; edition 2004)

by David Mitchell

10,210None280 (4.15)4 / 930
Member:Huge_Horror_Fan
Title:Cloud Atlas: A Novel
Authors:David Mitchell
Info:Random House Trade Paperbacks (2004), Paperback, 528 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Literature

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell (2004)

If on a Winter's Night a Traveler by Italo Calvino (Ludi_Ling)
    Ludi_Ling: Different yet both well-written approaches to meta-fiction.
    The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet by David Mitchell (pgmcc)
    pgmcc: Really enjoyable set of related stories with the author's well deomonstrated skill
    Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (sturlington)
    The Years of Rice and Salt by Kim Stanley Robinson (one-horse.library, PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: A theme of reincarnation used to balance Karma flows through the story.
    Riddley Walker by Russell Hoban (Rynooo, browner56, pfeldman)
    browner56: Highly imaginative works, particularly the phonetic recreations of the English language
    Number9Dream by David Mitchell (PghDragonMan)
    A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess (sturlington)
    A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan (jbvm, souloftherose)
    jbvm: Without giving anything away, after you've read both you'll understand my recommendation.
    souloftherose: Both novels are occasionally experimental in style with interconnected short stories. They are also both very good.
    Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann (novelcommentary)
    Black Swan Green by David Mitchell (PghDragonMan)
    Girl Reading by Katie Ward (rarm)
    rarm: Girl Reading isn't as intricately constructed as Cloud Atlas, but both books use linked stories to carry a theme through the centuries and into the future.
    The Castle of Crossed Destinies by Italo Calvino (Ludi_Ling)
    Ludi_Ling: For those interested in disparate yet intertwining narratives of a somewhat fantastical nature.
    Gods Without Men by Hari Kunzru (Tinwara)
    TransAtlantic by Colum McCann (suniru)
    A History of the World in 10½ Chapters by Julian Barnes (suniru)
    The Islanders by Christopher Priest (tetrachromat)
    Make Room! Make Room! by Harry Harrison (hippietrail)
    Flesh and Blood by Michèle Roberts (luciente)
    luciente: Similar structure of nested stories
    Mobius Dick by Andrew Crumey (alzo)
    The Island of the Day Before by Umberto Eco (hippietrail)

English (393)  Dutch (4)  Finnish (1)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  Czech (1)  All languages (402)
I wonder how the makers of the film Cloud Atlas messed it up so much that all I have heard about it are bad reviews! This novel is truly awesome. It will be a classic a la The Scarlet Letter and A Tale of Two Cities within years to come. Mark my words.

Cloud Atlas tells 5 different stories from different eras: a diarist from the 1800's, epistolary tale about a budding but arrogant musician, a muckraking reporter in the 1970's, a sentient worker bot set in the future, and the beginnings of a new world. Then, it continues with the same 5 stories continuing their fates.

David Mitchell tells it in an extraordinary way, changing the narratives and genres seamlessly. It made me want to read more from him. I am quite surprised that he was able to do it so effortlessly. Every time it was a new narrative, it was like reading a new story from a new author. I heard a different voice. I do have to agree with a friend of mine when she said that it was science-fiction masquerading as fiction. ( )

Y2Ash | Apr 16, 2014 |
magnificent use of styles, language, and themes!!!! lost myself entirely in it ( )
  smccrory | Apr 4, 2014 |
  smccrory | Apr 4, 2014 |
Cloud Atlas is powerful and elegant because of Mitchell's understanding of the way we respond to those fundamental and primitive stories we tell about good and evil, love and destruction, beginnings and ends. He isn't afraid to jerk tears or ratchet up suspense - he understands that's what we make stories for.

David Mitchellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Campbell, CassandraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Guest, Kim MaiNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Matthews, RichardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mijn, Aad van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Hana and her grandparents.
Beyond the Indian hamlet, upon a forlorn strand, I happened on a trail of recent footprints.
Oh, once you've been initiated into the Elderly, the world doesn't want you back.
Sometimes the fluffy bunny of incredulity zooms around the bend so rapidly that the greyhound of language is left, agog, in the starting cage.
The stationmaster's whistle blew on time, the locomotive strained like a gouty proctor on the pot before heaving itself into motion.
"Are you mad?"
Always a trickier question than it looks. "I doubt it."

Souls cross ages like clouds cross skies.

The book consists of six nested stories that take us from the remote South Pacific in the nineteenth century to a distant, post-apocalyptic future. Each tale is revealed to be a story that is read (or watched) by the main character in the next.

Now a major motion picture starring Tom Hanks, Halle Berry, Susan Sarandon, and Hugh Grant, and directed by Lana and Andy Wachowski and Tom Tykwer

A postmodern visionary who is also a master of styles of genres, David Mitchell combines flat-out adventure, a Nabokovian lore of puzzles, a keen eye for character, and a taste for mind-bending philosophical and scientific speculation in the tradition of Umberto Eco and Philip K. Dick. The result is brilliantly original fiction that reveals how disparate people connect, how their fates intertwine, and how their souls drift across time like clouds across the sky.

“[David] Mitchell is, clearly, a genius. He writes as though at the helm of some perpetual dream machine, can evidently do anything, and his ambition is written in magma across this novel’s every page.”—The New York Times Book Review

“One of those how-the-holy-hell-did-he-do-it? modern classics that no doubt is—and should be—read by any student of contemporary literature.”—Dave Eggers

“Wildly entertaining . . . a head rush, both action-packed and chillingly ruminative.”—People

“The novel as series of nested dolls or Chinese boxes, a puzzle-book, and yet—not just dazzling, amusing, or clever but heartbreaking and passionate, too. I’ve never read anything quite like it, and I’m grateful to have lived, for a while, in all its many worlds.”—Michael Chabon

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:09 -0400)

A reluctant voyager crossing the Pacific in 1850; a disinherited composer blagging a precarious livelihood in between-the-wars Belgium; a high-minded journalist in Governor Reagan ?s California; a vanity publisher fleeing his gangland creditors; a genetically modified "dinery server" on death-row; and Zachry, a young Pacific Islander witnessing the nightfall of science and civilisation -- the narrators of Cloud Atlas hear each other ?s echoes down the corridor of history, and their destinies are changed in ways great and small.… (more)

Current discussions

Cloud Atlas Group Read: Spoiler Thread Week Two in 75 Books Challenge for 2011

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,471,777 books! | Top bar: Always visible