Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell

Cloud Atlas (original 2004; edition 2004)

by David Mitchell

11,823499225 (4.14)4 / 1167
Member:danamonty
Title:Cloud Atlas
Authors:David Mitchell
Info:Vintage Canada (2004), Paperback, 528 pages

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell (2004)

If on a Winter's Night a Traveler by Italo Calvino (Ludi_Ling)
    Ludi_Ling: Different yet both well-written approaches to meta-fiction.
    The Thousand Autumns of Jacob De Zoet by David Mitchell (pgmcc)
    pgmcc: Really enjoyable set of related stories with the author's well deomonstrated skill
    The Years of Rice and Salt by Kim Stanley Robinson (TomWaitsTables, PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: A theme of reincarnation used to balance Karma flows through the story.
    Riddley Walker by Russell Hoban (Rynooo, browner56, pfeldman)
    browner56: Highly imaginative works, particularly the phonetic recreations of the English language
    A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan (jbvm, souloftherose)
    jbvm: Without giving anything away, after you've read both you'll understand my recommendation.
    souloftherose: Both novels are occasionally experimental in style with interconnected short stories. They are also both very good.
    Number9Dream by David Mitchell (PghDragonMan)
    Black Swan Green by David Mitchell (PghDragonMan)
    The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood (JenMDB)
    Life After Life by Kate Atkinson (JenMDB, sturlington)
    sturlington: Both have unusual narrative structures and explore the theme of reincarnation.
    Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann (novelcommentary)
    The Children of Men by P. D. James (JenMDB)
    Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel (generalkala)
    generalkala: Similar multi-strand, multi-era novel.
    Gods Without Men by Hari Kunzru (Tinwara)
    The Islanders by Christopher Priest (tetrachromat)
    TransAtlantic by Colum McCann (suniru)
    The Castle of Crossed Destinies by Italo Calvino (Ludi_Ling)
    Ludi_Ling: For those interested in disparate yet intertwining narratives of a somewhat fantastical nature.
    Girl Reading by Katie Ward (rarm)
    rarm: Girl Reading isn't as intricately constructed as Cloud Atlas, but both books use linked stories to carry a theme through the centuries and into the future.
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (Anonymous user)
    Join by Steve Toutonghi (47degreesnorth)
    Measuring the World by Daniel Kehlmann (JuliaMaria)

English (485)  Dutch (5)  Spanish (2)  French (2)  Finnish (1)  Danish (1)  Czech (1)  German (1)  All languages (498)
Six stories from completely different timelines that are good stories on their own, but even better as they are deeply connected. Each is written as a memoir/letter/interview as the person reflects on certain events. This can make it slightly hard to listen to as an audiobook, but the narrators do a great job making it great. The stories are all different, with their own unique protagonist, and their own unique problems, but as each story unfolds you can see what the author was trying to achieve. I believe the main theme is peace and love with the ending being quite powerful on the impact an individual can have on change. It is a beautifully written book and a great read. ( )
  renbedell | Apr 18, 2016 |
I didn't see the flic, but when it came out I decided to read the book, which I had been hearing about for some years. Composed of 5 fascinating tales in 5 different genres (mystery, sci fi, epistolary, Defoe-like sea journal, and first person narrative), with wildly different protagonists in wildly different time periods linked together by various small coincidences, this is a tour-de-force both structurally and stylistically. Entertaining enough to be made into an excellent film? Yes, but the writing is so consistently extraordinary that the viewer could not hope to approach the rich experience tucked in its 500 pages. A South Sea voyager, a debt-plagued lusty bisexual composer, a young female reporter on the trail of corporate corruption, a garrulous elderly editor institutionalized against his will, a cyberbeing with a conscience, and a primitive island boy who may be living in a post-apocalyptic society. This book casts a spell that can't be easily shaken. ( )
  deckla | Apr 5, 2016 |
the style is very good, the humor, and creativity...I did not understood the purpose of the book before the middle of it.
It has to see with civilisation opposed to violence, and for sure the choice wich keep us being human.
I think it`s a great book. ( )
  Gerardlionel | Apr 2, 2016 |
I don't know what to think about this book -- it's interesting and, with a lesser author, could be really bogged down. But, I found matryoshka-doll-style is interesting when converted into literary form. A quote from Hofstadter's Godel Escher Bach kept coming into my mine (and I found it in wikiequotes) - "The proverbial German phenomenon of the verb-at-the-end about which droll tales of absentminded professors who would begin a sentence, ramble on for an entire lecture, and then finish up by rattling off a string of verbs by which their audience, for whom the stack had long since lost its coherence, would be totally nonplussed, are told, is an excellent example of linguistic recursion." I felt like this book was a perfect example of linguistic confusion and, as all the stories piled on, found it harder to remember where it had come from. They weren't really frame stories to the next one but I kept trying to keep them all in mind.

I hate to be nitpicky but the "half-lives" mystery really threw me. (this is a minor spoiler) It's presented to the next story as a fictitious novel which throws all the previous tales into question. I know it's all fiction but it feels more symbolic to me if each tale was plausibly real so I treated it almost like a memoir (although the conclusion to that story sort of made that impossible).

Overall, I enjoyed it but if all of Mitchell's novels similarly require such intense need for memory to remember what happened in a disparate storyline, I don't know if I'll read many more of his books ( )
  Lorem | Apr 1, 2016 |
Nothing short of a masterpiece. How something like this was not even nominated for a Hugo let alone win it (over the run-of-the-mill novel that did win that year) just goes to show how meaningless the Hugo has become in recent years. Thought provoking and exhilarating all at the same time, it was an amazing accomplishment to weave so many stories together into a coherent story. The movie was good, but the book is better. ( )
1 vote ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
Cloud Atlas is powerful and elegant because of Mitchell's understanding of the way we respond to those fundamental and primitive stories we tell about good and evil, love and destruction, beginnings and ends. He isn't afraid to jerk tears or ratchet up suspense - he understands that's what we make stories for.

David Mitchellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Campbell, CassandraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Guest, Kim MaiNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Matthews, RichardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mijn, Aad van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Hana and her grandparents.
Beyond the Indian hamlet, upon a forlorn strand, I happened on a trail of recent footprints.
Oh, once you've been initiated into the Elderly, the world doesn't want you back.
Sometimes the fluffy bunny of incredulity zooms around the bend so rapidly that the greyhound of language is left, agog, in the starting cage.
The stationmaster's whistle blew on time, the locomotive strained like a gouty proctor on the pot before heaving itself into motion.
"Are you mad?"
Always a trickier question than it looks. "I doubt it."
Souls cross ages like clouds cross skies.

The book consists of six nested stories that take us from the remote South Pacific in the nineteenth century to a distant, post-apocalyptic future. Each tale is revealed to be a story that is read (or watched) by the main character in the next.

Now a major motion picture starring Tom Hanks, Halle Berry, Susan Sarandon, and Hugh Grant, and directed by Lana and Andy Wachowski and Tom Tykwer

A postmodern visionary who is also a master of styles of genres, David Mitchell combines flat-out adventure, a Nabokovian lore of puzzles, a keen eye for character, and a taste for mind-bending philosophical and scientific speculation in the tradition of Umberto Eco and Philip K. Dick. The result is brilliantly original fiction that reveals how disparate people connect, how their fates intertwine, and how their souls drift across time like clouds across the sky.

“[David] Mitchell is, clearly, a genius. He writes as though at the helm of some perpetual dream machine, can evidently do anything, and his ambition is written in magma across this novel’s every page.”—The New York Times Book Review

“One of those how-the-holy-hell-did-he-do-it? modern classics that no doubt is—and should be—read by any student of contemporary literature.”—Dave Eggers

“Wildly entertaining . . . a head rush, both action-packed and chillingly ruminative.”—People

“The novel as series of nested dolls or Chinese boxes, a puzzle-book, and yet—not just dazzling, amusing, or clever but heartbreaking and passionate, too. I’ve never read anything quite like it, and I’m grateful to have lived, for a while, in all its many worlds.”—Michael Chabon

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:11 -0400)

Recounts the connected stories of people from the past and the distant future, from a nineteenth-century notary and an investigative journalist in the 1970s to a young man who searches for meaning in a post-apocalyptic world.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,845 books! | Top bar: Always visible