Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell

Cloud Atlas (original 2004; edition 2005)

by David Mitchell

11,937505219 (4.14)4 / 1172
Member:nittnut
Title:Cloud Atlas
Authors:David Mitchell
Info:Sceptre (2005), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 544 pages
Tags:dystopia, apocalyptic, mystery, epistolary

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell (2004)

If on a Winter's Night a Traveler by Italo Calvino (Ludi_Ling)
    Ludi_Ling: Different yet both well-written approaches to meta-fiction.
    The Thousand Autumns of Jacob De Zoet by David Mitchell (pgmcc)
    pgmcc: Really enjoyable set of related stories with the author's well deomonstrated skill
    The Years of Rice and Salt by Kim Stanley Robinson (TomWaitsTables, PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: A theme of reincarnation used to balance Karma flows through the story.
    Riddley Walker by Russell Hoban (Rynooo, browner56, pfeldman)
    browner56: Highly imaginative works, particularly the phonetic recreations of the English language
    A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan (jbvm, souloftherose)
    jbvm: Without giving anything away, after you've read both you'll understand my recommendation.
    souloftherose: Both novels are occasionally experimental in style with interconnected short stories. They are also both very good.
    Number9Dream by David Mitchell (PghDragonMan)
    Black Swan Green by David Mitchell (PghDragonMan)
    Life After Life by Kate Atkinson (JenMDB, sturlington)
    sturlington: Both have unusual narrative structures and explore the theme of reincarnation.
    The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood (JenMDB)
    The Children of Men by P. D. James (JenMDB)
    Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann (novelcommentary)
    The Islanders by Christopher Priest (tetrachromat)
    TransAtlantic by Colum McCann (suniru)
    Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel (generalkala)
    generalkala: Similar multi-strand, multi-era novel.
    Gods Without Men by Hari Kunzru (Tinwara)
    The Castle of Crossed Destinies by Italo Calvino (Ludi_Ling)
    Ludi_Ling: For those interested in disparate yet intertwining narratives of a somewhat fantastical nature.
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (Anonymous user)
    Girl Reading by Katie Ward (rarm)
    rarm: Girl Reading isn't as intricately constructed as Cloud Atlas, but both books use linked stories to carry a theme through the centuries and into the future.
    Join by Steve Toutonghi (47degreesnorth)
    Measuring the World by Daniel Kehlmann (JuliaMaria)

English (492)  Dutch (5)  Spanish (2)  French (2)  Finnish (1)  Danish (1)  Czech (1)  German (1)  All languages (505)
This was a ravishing book. You may be tempted to get bogged-down before the big payoff. Don't. When it all starts fitting together, it is mind-blowing. ( )
  Caitlin70433 | Jun 6, 2016 |
Clever enough to bedazzle less experienced readers, but I claim that the Emperor has no Clothes. ?Pretentious. ?áNo heart, an ugly soul, and very little story. ?áAt least the author does reveal that he knows he's relying on gimmick. ?áI can't tell, however, whether he's sniggering, or whether he really does think this book to be an accomplishment.

That is to say, is Cavendish's commentary or Forbisher's the more relevant to Mitchell's work?

TC: The First Luisa Rey Mystery... would be a better book if Hilary V. Hush weren't so artsily-fartsily Clever. ?áShe had written it in neat little chapteroids, doubtless with one eye on the the Hollywood screenplay."

RF: "Spent the fortnight... reworking my year's fragments into a 'sextet for overlapping soloists'.... In the first set, each solo is interrupted by its successor; in the second, each interruption is recontinued, in order. ?áRevolutionary or gimmicky? ?áShan't know until it's finished...."

What are?áwe to make of the note that RF committed suicide and that TC's story does end on a more optimistic note?

And are any of our 'good' men's efforts worth anything, given the ultimate nature of the human race that means we will always be more driven to cause misery than joy, according to 99% Mitchell's book? ?áOr are we to put all our faith in the last 1% of the book, in which AE says, "A life spent shaping a world I want Jackson to inherit, not one I fear Jackson shall inherit, this strikes me as a life worth the living."

I'm glad I read this for the SFF group in GR, and am glad in the sense that it's enlightening to see what my reading friends think of a book like this. ?áI do regret the hours I could have been choosing to read something more joyful or at least more interesting.
" ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Fantastic, fantastic, fantastic. Many thanks to the Ziegler clan for encouraging me to read this. I'm glad the movie was coming because it pressured me to finally get it done. David Mitchell is a genius! I can't believe how easily he navigates the many different genres. I never wanted any one section to end and wish he would write six more books filling in the details of each story. Can we please have more? ( )
  ltfitch1 | Jun 5, 2016 |
It would have been a great book but the last two stories went from incomprehensible to illegible. ( )
  ShelleyAlberta | Jun 4, 2016 |
Review: Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell.

The book ends up being a morality tale, even though a very intricate one that employs some unusual literary tricks which I will use the word, “confusion”. The first chapter was the hardest for me to get through. I ended up writing little tidbits on paper as I read on through the stories to enable myself to connect the dots.

Confinement, impulse and enslavements of various sorts form the group of people of evil gods who preside over Cloud Atlas. The paper trail of documents and artifacts is carefully laid, a glorious puzzle from six different stories for the reader to unravel. David Mitchell created well develop characters, however it was slow pace reading to understand how the stories came together and delivering the ending to make sense.

The book has six people extending across time and place and organized in such a manner to bring the entire story together at the end. First we have, Adam Ewing of the 1950’s, sailing in the Pacific Ocean, his accounts were written in a journal form, then Robert Farbisher of the 1930’s, traveling in Belgium, next we have Luisa Rey of the 1970’s, she is a reporter investigating a California suicide, then moving on to Timothy Cavendish a publisher of the present time, hiding out in England, then Sommi of the near future learning who she is in Taiwan and last is Zachry of the distant future, learning to survive on the Big Island of Hawaii.

This is a type of book that keeps you thinking, it’s a challenge and makes the reader seek for connections between people, past and present. Mitchell captures the genre so it reproduces perfectly among the stories but I was highly frustrated at times trying to keep it all together. Mitchell is very versatile in his writing about the tension in the human race between the will to destroy and the will to create.

How do I say I liked it but I didn’t like it?
  Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |
Cloud Atlas is powerful and elegant because of Mitchell's understanding of the way we respond to those fundamental and primitive stories we tell about good and evil, love and destruction, beginnings and ends. He isn't afraid to jerk tears or ratchet up suspense - he understands that's what we make stories for.

David Mitchellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Campbell, CassandraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Guest, Kim MaiNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Matthews, RichardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mijn, Aad van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Hana and her grandparents.
Beyond the Indian hamlet, upon a forlorn strand, I happened on a trail of recent footprints.
Oh, once you've been initiated into the Elderly, the world doesn't want you back.
Sometimes the fluffy bunny of incredulity zooms around the bend so rapidly that the greyhound of language is left, agog, in the starting cage.
The stationmaster's whistle blew on time, the locomotive strained like a gouty proctor on the pot before heaving itself into motion.
"Are you mad?"
Always a trickier question than it looks. "I doubt it."
Souls cross ages like clouds cross skies.

The book consists of six nested stories that take us from the remote South Pacific in the nineteenth century to a distant, post-apocalyptic future. Each tale is revealed to be a story that is read (or watched) by the main character in the next.

Now a major motion picture starring Tom Hanks, Halle Berry, Susan Sarandon, and Hugh Grant, and directed by Lana and Andy Wachowski and Tom Tykwer

A postmodern visionary who is also a master of styles of genres, David Mitchell combines flat-out adventure, a Nabokovian lore of puzzles, a keen eye for character, and a taste for mind-bending philosophical and scientific speculation in the tradition of Umberto Eco and Philip K. Dick. The result is brilliantly original fiction that reveals how disparate people connect, how their fates intertwine, and how their souls drift across time like clouds across the sky.

“[David] Mitchell is, clearly, a genius. He writes as though at the helm of some perpetual dream machine, can evidently do anything, and his ambition is written in magma across this novel’s every page.”—The New York Times Book Review

“One of those how-the-holy-hell-did-he-do-it? modern classics that no doubt is—and should be—read by any student of contemporary literature.”—Dave Eggers

“Wildly entertaining . . . a head rush, both action-packed and chillingly ruminative.”—People

“The novel as series of nested dolls or Chinese boxes, a puzzle-book, and yet—not just dazzling, amusing, or clever but heartbreaking and passionate, too. I’ve never read anything quite like it, and I’m grateful to have lived, for a while, in all its many worlds.”—Michael Chabon

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:11 -0400)

Recounts the connected stories of people from the past and the distant future, from a nineteenth-century notary and an investigative journalist in the 1970s to a young man who searches for meaning in a post-apocalyptic world.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,753,684 books! | Top bar: Always visible