Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell

Cloud Atlas (original 2004; edition 2005)

by David Mitchell

10,604431269 (4.15)4 / 1000
Member:nittnut
Title:Cloud Atlas
Authors:David Mitchell
Info:Sceptre (2005), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 544 pages
Tags:dystopia, apocalyptic, mystery, epistolary

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell (2004)

If on a Winter's Night a Traveler by Italo Calvino (Ludi_Ling)
    Ludi_Ling: Different yet both well-written approaches to meta-fiction.
    The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet by David Mitchell (pgmcc)
    pgmcc: Really enjoyable set of related stories with the author's well deomonstrated skill
    The Years of Rice and Salt by Kim Stanley Robinson (one-horse.library, PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: A theme of reincarnation used to balance Karma flows through the story.
    Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (sturlington)
    Number9Dream by David Mitchell (PghDragonMan)
    Riddley Walker by Russell Hoban (Rynooo, browner56, pfeldman)
    browner56: Highly imaginative works, particularly the phonetic recreations of the English language
    A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess (sturlington)
    Black Swan Green by David Mitchell (PghDragonMan)
    Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann (novelcommentary)
    The Islanders by Christopher Priest (tetrachromat)
    Girl Reading by Katie Ward (rarm)
    rarm: Girl Reading isn't as intricately constructed as Cloud Atlas, but both books use linked stories to carry a theme through the centuries and into the future.
    A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan (jbvm, souloftherose)
    jbvm: Without giving anything away, after you've read both you'll understand my recommendation.
    souloftherose: Both novels are occasionally experimental in style with interconnected short stories. They are also both very good.
    The Castle of Crossed Destinies by Italo Calvino (Ludi_Ling)
    Ludi_Ling: For those interested in disparate yet intertwining narratives of a somewhat fantastical nature.
    Gods Without Men by Hari Kunzru (Tinwara)
    A History of the World in 10½ Chapters by Julian Barnes (suniru)
    TransAtlantic by Colum McCann (suniru)
    Mobius Dick by Andrew Crumey (alzo)
    The Island of the Day Before by Umberto Eco (hippietrail)
    Earthly Powers by Anthony Burgess (ZenonRobledo)
    ZenonRobledo: I have the feeling Earthly Powers by Anthony Burgess inspired David Mitchell when writing Cloud Atlas. Anyone else have thoughts on the matter?
    Make Room! Make Room! by Harry Harrison (hippietrail)

English (420)  Dutch (4)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  Spanish (1)  Czech (1)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (430)
I made a rookie mistake: I saw the movie before reading the book. Thus, reading the book was boring because I already knew all the main ideas & the plot from the movie.

Anyway, I loved how David Mitchell mixed different English styles in his book, from the elegant upper class English of the 1800s to the almost gibberish post-apocalyptic one. This was an enjoyable challenge for me because English is not my native language. ( )
  mariusgm | Sep 12, 2014 |
David Mitchell draws rich characters, stories and places. The language he uses is inventive. Each narrator (there are about six) has their own distinctive voice and vocabulary. The novel passes from the 1800s into the future and as it does so, the language evolves and changes as well. He invents a wholly believable and intelligible English of the future.

The characters are interlinked, each having some effect on another. There is a major world event into the future. This allows Mitchell to add depth and contemplate the nature of humanity, how we deal with strangers and what lengths we, as a species, can go to. A thoughtful, provocative and engrossing novel. I liked that I never knew where or how it was going to end. ( )
  devilish2 | Sep 11, 2014 |
I. Can't. Finish. Got to page 273 and I am just not enthused at all. Am I missing something? Maybe my mother-in-law will read it and enlighten me. :) ( )
  ASmithey | Aug 31, 2014 |
This book had really nice stories all interwoven together but somehow I still wasn't thrilled with it. I was left with a feeling of quizzical annoyance more than anything. I REALLY wanted to love this book and nothing is more frustrating when reality doesn't fall in line with those hopes. I'd like to break this book down to what I loved and what I didn't, but really... this story didn't grip me enough to want to delve into it's pages further. I thought it was only meh... bad review, I know. ( )
  yougotamber | Aug 22, 2014 |
A novel of epic proportions, spanning time from the early days of San Francisco into the distant future when mankind has managed to destroy much of itself through some not quite clear means, leaving only pockets of humanity. The stories are separate - five stories, stretched through these time frames - and each of the stories would be ordinary on their own (heard it before? Yes) but the author links them ingeniously, to make them more interesting - the continuity of the human experience, and, perhaps, reincarnation (or the collective unconscious?). The actual linkage isn't explained, and is indicated through a birthmark that shows itself in each generation. The reader is allowed to draw their own conclusions. Each story is a different style, a different genre, but they do manage to tie together. I had a hard time getting into it at first, but by the end, I had a hard time putting it down. ( )
  quantum_flapdoodle | Aug 18, 2014 |
Cloud Atlas is powerful and elegant because of Mitchell's understanding of the way we respond to those fundamental and primitive stories we tell about good and evil, love and destruction, beginnings and ends. He isn't afraid to jerk tears or ratchet up suspense - he understands that's what we make stories for.

David Mitchellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Campbell, CassandraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Guest, Kim MaiNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Matthews, RichardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mijn, Aad van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Hana and her grandparents.
Beyond the Indian hamlet, upon a forlorn strand, I happened on a trail of recent footprints.
Oh, once you've been initiated into the Elderly, the world doesn't want you back.
Sometimes the fluffy bunny of incredulity zooms around the bend so rapidly that the greyhound of language is left, agog, in the starting cage.
The stationmaster's whistle blew on time, the locomotive strained like a gouty proctor on the pot before heaving itself into motion.
"Are you mad?"
Always a trickier question than it looks. "I doubt it."

Souls cross ages like clouds cross skies.

The book consists of six nested stories that take us from the remote South Pacific in the nineteenth century to a distant, post-apocalyptic future. Each tale is revealed to be a story that is read (or watched) by the main character in the next.

Now a major motion picture starring Tom Hanks, Halle Berry, Susan Sarandon, and Hugh Grant, and directed by Lana and Andy Wachowski and Tom Tykwer

A postmodern visionary who is also a master of styles of genres, David Mitchell combines flat-out adventure, a Nabokovian lore of puzzles, a keen eye for character, and a taste for mind-bending philosophical and scientific speculation in the tradition of Umberto Eco and Philip K. Dick. The result is brilliantly original fiction that reveals how disparate people connect, how their fates intertwine, and how their souls drift across time like clouds across the sky.

“[David] Mitchell is, clearly, a genius. He writes as though at the helm of some perpetual dream machine, can evidently do anything, and his ambition is written in magma across this novel’s every page.”—The New York Times Book Review

“One of those how-the-holy-hell-did-he-do-it? modern classics that no doubt is—and should be—read by any student of contemporary literature.”—Dave Eggers

“Wildly entertaining . . . a head rush, both action-packed and chillingly ruminative.”—People

“The novel as series of nested dolls or Chinese boxes, a puzzle-book, and yet—not just dazzling, amusing, or clever but heartbreaking and passionate, too. I’ve never read anything quite like it, and I’m grateful to have lived, for a while, in all its many worlds.”—Michael Chabon

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:09 -0400)

A reluctant voyager crossing the Pacific in 1850; a disinherited composer blagging a precarious livelihood in between-the-wars Belgium; a high-minded journalist in Governor Reagan ?s California; a vanity publisher fleeing his gangland creditors; a genetically modified "dinery server" on death-row; and Zachry, a young Pacific Islander witnessing the nightfall of science and civilisation -- the narrators of Cloud Atlas hear each other ?s echoes down the corridor of history, and their destinies are changed in ways great and small.… (more)

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,733,546 books! | Top bar: Always visible