Surviving the Applewhites by Stephanie S.…

Surviving the Applewhites

by Stephanie S. Tolan

Duchess by Chester Aaron (kooiekerhondje)
    kooiekerhondje: Both tell a story about a seemingly hopeless juvenile delinquint boy who gets turned around in his behavior from bad to good. The authors simply use different methods to accomplish this change.
    Saffy's Angel by Hilary McKay (kaledrina)

(5.7)
  mshampson | Oct 15, 2014 |
This is a great educational book for young teens. I read this book when I was in 4th grade. This book is about a boy who is troubled and is forced to live in a home school. He starts to change his wild ways the longer that he is there and ultimately becomes a better person because of it. This book is really good because I feel many young teens can relate to many of the things in this book. One thing in particular is their eagerness to be accepted and to find themselves. This is a must read for anyone wanting to find a book for young teens that they can relate to in many ways. ( )
  loganbuttram330 | Jul 22, 2014 |
This book is about a trouble maker going into an academy led by a family. He starts to change as hes there and seems to turn more into a nice person. He makes enemies who soon turn into friends of his he could be with. He takes a part of the play "Sound of Music" as a soldier named Rolf. He finds that he has a talent of singing and acting and starts to focus on that leading him to a actor whose a star of the show.He learns many new things that make him act nicer and be good. He also has a little follower who likes to be like him.
I liked this book and I hope to read it again. I felt like I was Jake and that I started to change over the time he was in the academy. He found new friends to be with. I liked how he changed and how he became different at the end as a nice and good person. I wanted him to more daring things though. I wanted to see more action as of the complications that Jake had with the others. It was still good and I give it a 3 1/2. ( )
  MartinP.G3 | May 30, 2014 |
Jake has been kicked out of so many schools, he is told that The Creative Academy is his last chance before Juvie. The Creative Academy is a home school where there seems to be no rules. All the students study what they want, when they want. At first, Jake believes that everyone will see him just as a tough kid. However, in time he starts to warm up to the family as they see past his tough exterior. This book made me laugh and smile because it was not only inspirational but very quirky too. The characters are all unique and outrageous in their own way. The book refers to swear words, though none of the swear words are actually written. The desire to be accepted and loved makes this book relatable for just about any reader. This would be a great book to read as a class because of it could be a great way to start conversation about feelings, emotional regulation, self-esteem, and acceptance. ( )
  natalienichols | Mar 15, 2014 |
One of at least two Newbery Honor books in that year to deal with the problem of foster children who are shunted from place to place, this is the more light-hearted of the two. ([b:Pictures of Hollis Woods|828084|Pictures of Hollis Woods|Patricia Reilly Giff|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1178734285s/828084.jpg|1685656] is the other.) 13-year-old Jake Semple, whose parents are in prison for drug dealing and who reportedly burned down his school in Rhode Island, is sent to rural North Carolina to live with his grandfather and promptly is expelled from the local middle school. The only option remaining is the Applewhite family's Creative Academy homeschool. The story is told from two points of view -- Jake's, and that of E.D. Applewhite, the sole organized member of the highly creative and eccentric Applewhite clan. When E.D.'s dad, a theater director, is asked to direct a local production of The Sound of Music, hijinks ensue -- and both Jake and E.D. discover good things about themselves. Highly recommended. ( )
  auntieknickers | Apr 3, 2013 |

Will anyone take on Jake Semple?

Only one place will take him now, and that's a home school run by the Applewhites, a chaotic and hilarious family of artists. The only one who doesn't fit the Applewhite mold is E.D.—a smart, sensible girl who immediately clashes with the unruly Jake.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:53 -0400)

Will anyone take on Jake Semple? Jake Semple is notorious. Rumor has it he burned down his old school and got kicked out of every school in his home state. Only one place will take him now, and that's a home school run by the Applewhites, a chaotic and hilarious family of artists. The only one who doesn't fit the Applewhite mold is E.D. -- a smart, sensible girl who immediately clashes with the unruly Jake. Jake thinks surviving this one will be a breeze . . . but is he really as tough or as bad as he seems?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,322,971 books! | Top bar: Always visible