Surviving the Applewhites by Stephanie S.…

Surviving the Applewhites

by Stephanie S. Tolan

Duchess by Chester Aaron (kooiekerhondje)
    kooiekerhondje: Both tell a story about a seemingly hopeless juvenile delinquint boy who gets turned around in his behavior from bad to good. The authors simply use different methods to accomplish this change.
    Saffy's Angel by Hilary McKay (kaledrina)

For me it is not worth 3 stars, but it is probably pretty good for a 4th-5th grader and some 6th graders. If we told 7th and 8th grade readers they should read this book, it would be like telling them they had to eat pablum. The ending is kind of cute, but the writing is weak and unimaginative. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
Jake Semple has been kicked out of every other school in his home state and is suspected of being the one who burned down Traybridge Middle School. He's sent to live with and be homeschooled by the Applewhite family. They are an artistic, dramatic lot who live on a large plot of land with several houses and a barn. Jake's ways don't faze the family except for E.D., the organized, practical one in the family. Brisk scenes with lot of humor but I don't know why it got a Newbery Honor.
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
Jake Stemple is considered one of the ultimate bad boys. He's been kicked out of every school he's ever attended. Then he ends up at Wit's End. Wit's End is where the Applewhite family lives. The Applewhite children are all home schooled and Jake's grandfather has decided that Jake will be joining them. Jake moves in with the Applewhites and realizes that they are all crazy artists, but he is eventually sucked in and joins the family for a massive project that will take everyone's skills.

I liked watching Jake find his place in the Applewhite family. He gets sucked in so subtly he clearly doesn't realize it at first. I also like that you get into Jake's brain as he realizes how many of the things he's doing weren't about him but were in fact about how he wanted others to perceive him.

I like the insight into E.D. as well. She is clearly the odd one out but she still plays a vital role in the family. The play could not have been pulled off without her.

I guess I've been reading too much fiction where relationships play a heavy role. I was totally expecting E.D. and Jake to end up in some kind of relationship and that never happened and it felt so much more right because of it.

There was lots of humor and lots of hard work. Destiny is a great example of that. He's a funny kid but he takes a lot of work. It was also interesting to see the amount of work that went into putting on the play. ( )

Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |

Will anyone take on Jake Semple?

Only one place will take him now, and that's a home school run by the Applewhites, a chaotic and hilarious family of artists. The only one who doesn't fit the Applewhite mold is E.D.—a smart, sensible girl who immediately clashes with the unruly Jake.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:00 -0400)

Will anyone take on Jake Semple? Jake Semple is notorious. Rumor has it he burned down his old school and got kicked out of every school in his home state. Only one place will take him now, and that's a home school run by the Applewhites, a chaotic and hilarious family of artists. The only one who doesn't fit the Applewhite mold is E.D. -- a smart, sensible girl who immediately clashes with the unruly Jake. Jake thinks surviving this one will be a breeze . . . but is he really as tough or as bad as he seems?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 266 books! | Top bar: Always visible