Surviving the Applewhites by Stephanie S.…

Surviving the Applewhites

by Stephanie S. Tolan

1,584None4,591 (3.71)13
    Duchess by Chester Aaron (kooiekerhondje)
    kooiekerhondje: Both tell a story about a seemingly hopeless juvenile delinquint boy who gets turned around in his behavior from bad to good. The authors simply use different methods to accomplish this change.
    Saffy's Angel by Hilary McKay (kaledrina)

Jake has been kicked out of so many schools, he is told that The Creative Academy is his last chance before Juvie. The Creative Academy is a home school where there seems to be no rules. All the students study what they want, when they want. At first, Jake believes that everyone will see him just as a tough kid. However, in time he starts to warm up to the family as they see past his tough exterior. This book made me laugh and smile because it was not only inspirational but very quirky too. The characters are all unique and outrageous in their own way. The book refers to swear words, though none of the swear words are actually written. The desire to be accepted and loved makes this book relatable for just about any reader. This would be a great book to read as a class because of it could be a great way to start conversation about feelings, emotional regulation, self-esteem, and acceptance. ( )
  natalienichols | Mar 15, 2014 |
One of at least two Newbery Honor books in that year to deal with the problem of foster children who are shunted from place to place, this is the more light-hearted of the two. ([b:Pictures of Hollis Woods|828084|Pictures of Hollis Woods|Patricia Reilly Giff|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1178734285s/828084.jpg|1685656] is the other.) 13-year-old Jake Semple, whose parents are in prison for drug dealing and who reportedly burned down his school in Rhode Island, is sent to rural North Carolina to live with his grandfather and promptly is expelled from the local middle school. The only option remaining is the Applewhite family's Creative Academy homeschool. The story is told from two points of view -- Jake's, and that of E.D. Applewhite, the sole organized member of the highly creative and eccentric Applewhite clan. When E.D.'s dad, a theater director, is asked to direct a local production of The Sound of Music, hijinks ensue -- and both Jake and E.D. discover good things about themselves. Highly recommended. ( )
  auntieknickers | Apr 3, 2013 |
Hmm. I really enjoyed listening to this - the story's fun and of course the musical angle is right up my alley. Perhaps because Robert Sean Leonard isn't too famous, after a moment of recognition his voice and personality faded into the background for me. Of the last three narrators of young children that I've listened to, Leonard has easily done the best job with his portrayal of Destiny Applewhite. Not annoying at all which is more of a triumph than you might think. However - the ending lacks punch for me and I have to admit, I was a little disappointed by Jake's transformation. I loved that he found his joy, but why did he have to give up everything he was before for that to happen? I understand the internal logic - everything he was before was simply intended to cause a reaction rather than coming from him internally, but it still doesn't sit quite right with me. Hence the hmmm. Also, I liked the alternating of narrators between Jake and E. D., but they don't really get equal weight. I think perhaps this was just lighter than I expected or remembered. Playaway narrated by Robert Sean Leonard. Previously read. ( )
  JenJ. | Mar 31, 2013 |
Troubled teen Jake Semple finds out that you learn who you are when you’ve nobody to impress after going to stay with a creative and chaotic unschooling family. E.D., the only Applewhite that apparently longs for some structure in her day, plans her own individual curriculum out and keeps it in a binder. While neither always see eye to eye, Jake and E.D. have to team up when the family puts on a local production of The Sound of Music and in doing discover more about themselves and what they have to offer the world. Called a “laugh out loud novel” in School Library Journal and a “screwball comedy” by Booklist, readers from ten and up will find something to crack up about in this novel. --SJ Cournoyer
  LomiraQCLibrary | Jul 4, 2012 |
I was intruiged by the type of family the Applewhites were and how even a bad boy from the city could feel out of place in this artsy family. But it took such a family to be able to unlock the true talents of those around them and realize that by working otgether great things can happen. It's a lesson on finding your calling and not giving up. ( )
  smheatherly2 | Jun 8, 2012 |

Will anyone take on Jake Semple?

Only one place will take him now, and that's a home school run by the Applewhites, a chaotic and hilarious family of artists. The only one who doesn't fit the Applewhite mold is E.D.—a smart, sensible girl who immediately clashes with the unruly Jake.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:53 -0400)

Will anyone take on Jake Semple? Jake Semple is notorious. Rumor has it he burned down his old school and got kicked out of every school in his home state. Only one place will take him now, and that's a home school run by the Applewhites, a chaotic and hilarious family of artists. The only one who doesn't fit the Applewhite mold is E.D. -- a smart, sensible girl who immediately clashes with the unruly Jake. Jake thinks surviving this one will be a breeze . . . but is he really as tough or as bad as he seems?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,414,873 books! | Top bar: Always visible