The Lace Reader by Brunonia Barry

The Lace Reader (2006)

by Brunonia Barry

Series: Lace Reader (1)

English (258)  Spanish (2)  Italian (2)  Norwegian (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (265)
This book has everything from personal relationships to religious cults. The setting of Salem, Massachusetts is perfect for this. Lace reading also plays an important part in the story so the reader becomes familiar with how the lace is made and read. Each chapter starts with an excerpt that tells about lace reading and leads the reader to wonder how the excerpt relates to what if going to happen in related chapter.
One of the themes of the book is that you have to go back to go forward and this is certainly what the main character Towner (Sophya) Whitney must do. She must find out what her past holds before she can move forward in her future.
The author keeps the reader in suspense until the end of the book as new information continues to be added to the storyline. Very unique storyline that like lace reveals more than what you first see. ( )
  Rdglady | Nov 20, 2018 |
This is a hard book to review. Overall, it was a fast read and the author paints the characters well so that you hate and like the ones you're supposed to. Strange ending that is "un-guessable", but is also difficult to believe. I give it a solid 3-stars tho', it did not earn more, but it was not a complete disaster either. ( )
  ppmarkgraf | May 5, 2018 |
I did finally read The Lace Reader that had everyone all abuzz a few years ago, and I must say, I just don't get it. It was an OK read with an OK plot but I forgot to review it here in LibraryThing and I don't remember the specifics now. The main character's aunt disappears and the character, Towner comes back home to Salem, Massachusetts to work out her family's past. ( )
  phoenixcomet | Feb 27, 2018 |
This was a decent read. Granted, it was on my phone and I read it mostly when my husband wouldn't let me leave the light on to read in bed...There are some seriously heavy issues here, you can dive as deep as it suits you with them. There are a few bumpy spots, but the end is pretty interesting. ( )
  MaureenCean | Nov 8, 2017 |
Towner Whitney tells you in the first sentences of this book that she is crazy and can't be depended on. I found this book very difficult to put down. You should absolutely read it ( )
  sdunford | Aug 23, 2017 |
For 15 år siden, da Towner Whitneys liv ble lagt i grus, sverget hun på to ting: At hun aldri skulle sette sine ben i hjembyen Salem igjen. Og at hun aldri mer ville lese i kniplinger. For Towner har arvet denne sjette sansen, den mange av Whitney-klanens kvinner er utstyrt med, den som gjør dem i stand til å spå andres skjebne.
Det er bare ett eneste menneske som kan få Towner tilbake til Salem: Grandtante Eva - den beste kniplingleseren av dem alle. Nå er den gamle kvinnen sporløst borte. Kan Towner finne sannheten om familiens dypt bevarte hemmeligheter i Evas forlatte hus?

"Kniplingenes hemmelighet" foregår i fargerike Salem, byen som er berømt for fortidens utallige heksebål. Historien om Towner favner vidt og er spenningsroman, slektskrønike, historisk skildring og magisk fortelling - men først og fremst er det en sterk og varm beretning som fanger leseren fra Towners første, skjebnesvangre ord: Mitt navn er Towner Whitney. Nei, det er ikke helt sant. I virkeligheten er fornavnet mitt Sophya. Tro aldri på det jeg sier. Jeg lyver i ett sett. Jeg er en gal kvinne - dette siste er san
added by kirstenlund | edithttp://www.aschehoug.no (Feb 26, 2011)

Brunonia Barryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bresnahan, AlyssaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sandberg, AnnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Lace Reader must stare at the piece of lace until the pattern blurs and the face of the Seeker disappears completely behind the veil. When the eyes begin to fill with tears and the patience is long exhausted, there will appear a glimpse of something not quite seen. In this moment an image will begin to form . . . in the space between what is real and what is only imagined. --The Lace Reader's Guide
To my wonderful husband, Gary, and to my sister-in-law Joanne's magical red hair
My name is Towner Whitney. No, that's not exactly true. My real first name is Sophya. Never believe me. I lie all the time.
He was worse than a Starbucks snob, but he didn't tell her that. He didn't even drink Starbucks coffee. Used to. Then, last year, his daughter had saved up her allowance and bought him a French press for Christmas, and now he couldn't drink his coffee any other way.

Towner Whitney, descended from a line of mind readers and fortune tellers, returns to Salem, Massachusetts to recover from several traumas and discovers that her great-aunt Eva has suspiciously drowned, and local cop John Rafferty looks into the mystery while falling for Towner.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061624764, Hardcover)

Amazon Best of the Month, August 2008: Brunonia Barry dreamt she saw a prophecy in a piece of lace, a vision so potent she spun it into a novel. The Lace Reader retains the strange magic of a vivid dream, though Barry's portrayal of modern-day Salem, Massachusetts--with its fascinating cast of eccentrics--is reportedly spot-on. Some of its stranger residents include generations of Whitney women, with a gift for seeing the future in the lace they make. Towner Whitney, back to Salem from self-imposed exile on the West Coast, has plans for recuperation that evaporate with her great-aunt Eva's mysterious drowning. Fighting fear from a traumatic adolescence she can barely remember, Towner digs in for answers. But questions compound with the disappearance of a young woman under the thrall of a local fire-and-brimstone preacher, whose history of violence against Whitney women makes the situation personal for Towner. Her role in cop John Rafferty's investigation sparks a tentative romance. And as they scramble to avert disaster, the past that had slipped through the gaps in Towner's memory explodes into the present with a violence that capsizes her concept of truth. Readers will look back at the story in a new light, picking out the clues in this complex, lovely piece of work. --Mari Malcolm

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:13 -0400)

A young woman descended from a long line of mind readers and fortune tellers has returned to her hometown of Salem, Massachusetts, for rest and relaxation. Any tranquility in her life is short-lived, however, when her aunt drowns under mysterious circumstances.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Brunonia Barry's book The Lace Reader was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,188,288 books! | Top bar: Always visible