The lace reader by Brunonia Barry

The lace reader (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Brunonia Barry

Member:EmScape
Title:The lace reader
Authors:Brunonia Barry
Info:New York : William Morrow, [2008], c2006.
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:fiction, hardcover, read, read in 2012

The Lace Reader: A Novel by Brunonia Barry (2006)

English (254)  Spanish (2)  Italian (2)  Norwegian (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All (261)
I loved the beginning of the book, up through the middle and the parts regarding lace reading but there is such a twist to the ending it's making me question everything I read.

Going to have to read this again to see how many stars I give the book - so for now I'll stay with 3. ( )
  mmoj | Mar 2, 2017 |
So many twists, I loved the journey. The characters are all a little different and I think that makes them more likeable. I love all the history around the Salem witch trials. This story also addresses some serious social issues. An all around enjoyable read. ( )
  mnm123 | Feb 18, 2017 |
I wanted to like this book more than I did. Because of the nature of the story line I can't say much about it without spoilers. But I can say I thought the book got off to a slow start and I guessed the ending about 3/4 of the way through it. An ending which seems to have been done before and is getting tiresome. The side story of the fundamentalists vs the "witches" added nothing to the story line IMHO and I thought they came off as silly caricatures.

There were a lot of 'words' but little character development. I wanted to know more about Rafferty, as well as May and Emma. Many story lines and plot points were left hanging.

Still, I would recommend it, it's just not the fabulous book I had hoped for. I'm glad I borrowed it from the library. If I could give 2 1/2 stars I would. ( )
  janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
Interesting and original. Really enjoyed it. ( )
  MicheleMG | Feb 1, 2017 |
I received an ARC of [b:The Fifth Petal|29741905|The Fifth Petal (The Lace Reader, #2)|Brunonia Barry|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1462933247s/29741905.jpg|50095716] without realizing, initially, that it was book #2 in The Lace Reader series and I found myself intrigued enough from the description that, upon that realization, I purchased a copy of [b:The Lace Reader|1951125|The Lace Reader (The Lace Reader, #1)|Brunonia Barry|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1308969158s/1951125.jpg|3208367] from Audible.

After finishing this novel I'm a little bit confused by the storyline, specifically after certain revelations towards the end which I won't disclose, but overall it was a very complex story with a lot of moving parts and different characters and at times I found it difficult to keep everything and everybody sorted and straight. I had to go back and reread several passages and paragraphs on more than one occasion throughout the book, however, that could be attributed to the fact that it was an audio book with so many layers to it. That's the only reason why I rated this four out of five-stars opposed to giving it a five star review but other than that minor complaint I really enjoyed this novel a lot. I've noticed a lot of negative reviews for [b:The Lace Reader|1951125|The Lace Reader (The Lace Reader, #1)|Brunonia Barry|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1308969158s/1951125.jpg|3208367] on Goodreads which goes to show that you can't always go by the opinions of others because everyone's take is unique. I was especially attracted to the setting of this story, modern day Salem, Massachusetts, being a New England native myself and living just north of Salem in Portland, Maine I have visited the area several times and was therefore really able to connect to this story and visualize the different scenes. It even made reference to my home town of Portland and mentioned different landmarks that I frequently go to so that's always fun.

This story is told from the point of view of Towner, the female protagonist who returns home to Salem after years removed when she gets word that her beloved aunt has gone missing. Tower comes from a long line of Lace Readers who are gifted with the sight and can see premonitions of future events, among other supernatural abilities and are thought of as modern day witches of Salem. When Towner returns she is forced to face her haunting past filled with tragedy and family secrets that have nearly driven her crazy. Meanwhile a cult of religious fanatics run by Cal, an abusive preacher who has brought nothing but pain to the women in Towner's family, herself included, remains a constant threat while a good intentioned detective, with demons of his own, tries to bring Cal to justice before he can cause any more pain and damage. This is a very diverse book with a few fantasy/paranormal elements, a bit of myself and suspense and also a romantic triangle, or quartet rather, thrown in to really thicken the plot. It's about relationships, family, loss and grief and mental illness and also addresses domestic violence and the patterns of abuse that a battered woman suffers. Somehow Brunonia Barry was able to weave all these complex themes together to create a beautifully written, creatively original and undeniably unique novel that I really enjoyed and highly recommend to all female readers of fiction. I'm very much looking forward to reading the second book in The Lace Reader series, [b:The Fifth Petal|29741905|The Fifth Petal (The Lace Reader, #2)|Brunonia Barry|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1462933247s/29741905.jpg|50095716], in the very near future and I cannot wait to take another trip to Salem, Massachusetts. ( )
  JordanAshleyPerkins | Jan 26, 2017 |
For 15 år siden, da Towner Whitneys liv ble lagt i grus, sverget hun på to ting: At hun aldri skulle sette sine ben i hjembyen Salem igjen. Og at hun aldri mer ville lese i kniplinger. For Towner har arvet denne sjette sansen, den mange av Whitney-klanens kvinner er utstyrt med, den som gjør dem i stand til å spå andres skjebne.
Det er bare ett eneste menneske som kan få Towner tilbake til Salem: Grandtante Eva - den beste kniplingleseren av dem alle. Nå er den gamle kvinnen sporløst borte. Kan Towner finne sannheten om familiens dypt bevarte hemmeligheter i Evas forlatte hus?

"Kniplingenes hemmelighet" foregår i fargerike Salem, byen som er berømt for fortidens utallige heksebål. Historien om Towner favner vidt og er spenningsroman, slektskrønike, historisk skildring og magisk fortelling - men først og fremst er det en sterk og varm beretning som fanger leseren fra Towners første, skjebnesvangre ord: Mitt navn er Towner Whitney. Nei, det er ikke helt sant. I virkeligheten er fornavnet mitt Sophya. Tro aldri på det jeg sier. Jeg lyver i ett sett. Jeg er en gal kvinne - dette siste er san
added by KirstenLund | edithttp://www.aschehoug.no (Feb 26, 2011)

Brunonia Barryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bresnahan, AlyssaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sandberg, AnnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Lace Reader must stare at the piece of lace until the pattern blurs and the face of the Seeker disappears completely behind the veil. When the eyes begin to fill with tears and the patience is long exhausted, there will appear a glimpse of something not quite seen. In this moment an image will begin to form . . . in the space between what is real and what is only imagined. --The Lace Reader's Guide
To my wonderful husband, Gary, and to my sister-in-law Joanne's magical red hair
My name is Towner Whitney. No, that's not exactly true. My real first name is Sophya. Never believe me. I lie all the time.
He was worse than a Starbucks snob, but he didn't tell her that. He didn't even drink Starbucks coffee. Used to. Then, last year, his daughter had saved up her allowance and bought him a French press for Christmas, and now he couldn't drink his coffee any other way.

Towner Whitney, descended from a line of mind readers and fortune tellers, returns to Salem, Massachusetts to recover from several traumas and discovers that her great-aunt Eva has suspiciously drowned, and local cop John Rafferty looks into the mystery while falling for Towner.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061624764, Hardcover)

Amazon Best of the Month, August 2008: Brunonia Barry dreamt she saw a prophecy in a piece of lace, a vision so potent she spun it into a novel. The Lace Reader retains the strange magic of a vivid dream, though Barry's portrayal of modern-day Salem, Massachusetts--with its fascinating cast of eccentrics--is reportedly spot-on. Some of its stranger residents include generations of Whitney women, with a gift for seeing the future in the lace they make. Towner Whitney, back to Salem from self-imposed exile on the West Coast, has plans for recuperation that evaporate with her great-aunt Eva's mysterious drowning. Fighting fear from a traumatic adolescence she can barely remember, Towner digs in for answers. But questions compound with the disappearance of a young woman under the thrall of a local fire-and-brimstone preacher, whose history of violence against Whitney women makes the situation personal for Towner. Her role in cop John Rafferty's investigation sparks a tentative romance. And as they scramble to avert disaster, the past that had slipped through the gaps in Towner's memory explodes into the present with a violence that capsizes her concept of truth. Readers will look back at the story in a new light, picking out the clues in this complex, lovely piece of work. --Mari Malcolm

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:13 -0400)

A young woman descended from a long line of mind readers and fortune tellers has returned to her hometown of Salem, Massachusetts, for rest and relaxation. Any tranquility in her life is short-lived, however, when her aunt drowns under mysterious circumstances.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Lace Reader by Brunonia Barry was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,242,814 books! | Top bar: Always visible