Kill the Messenger by Tami Hoag

Kill the Messenger (original 2004; edition 2006)

by Tami Hoag

Title:Kill the Messenger
Authors:Tami Hoag
Info:Bantam (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 528 pages
Tags:r-librarysale 02/19/11

Kill the Messenger by Tami Hoag (2004)

Recently added byLBM007, KimSalyers, Autres, dyan46, private library, HillaryAnnWasson, CandaceVan, impatient, wm3395

English (22)  Dutch (1)  All languages (23)
When Los Angeles bike messenger Jace Damon tries to make his last drop of the day for sleazy attorney Lenny Lowell, he is chased, shot at, and barely escapes with the package - and his life. Lenny isn't quite as lucky; and Jace becomes a 'person of interest' to the police. Kev Parker, the detective of record, also wonders why the death of bottom feeder Lenny is of interest to LAPD's elite homicide squad.

These are interesting, well-developed characters, in life-or-death action; the story moves fast, the tension builds, and the characters become people that the reader cares about. Spotting the villian in this one isn't easy.

Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
A formulaic crime procedural, set in LA, brushing up against celebrities so if has a touch of noir. If you like this kind of thing, you'll enjoy this, even though it doesn't break any molds.

What I did really like about it was that it was a departure from earlier books by Hoag I've read. About 15 years ago, I started reading Tami Hoag regularly. I liked them, but... it seemed like the strong female lead always needed some kind of saving by the strong silent slightly-dangerous guy in the story. It was always my least favorite part of her books. There is none of that here, probably because the main characters are all men. Whatever the reason, it works. ( )
  LauraCerone | May 26, 2016 |
Jace Damon is a bike messenger. His last call of the day is a package for an attorney, Leonard Lowell. His destination isnt what Jace was expecting, empty, so he goes back to find Lenny dead. Then begins a cat and mouse game for the package that Jacd still has.

I like books by Tami Hoag and have read many of them. My favourites are her romantic suspense. This book was more of a thriller, no romance building between hero and heroine. It does however have a very likeable detective Kev Parker.

The book was ok. The premise was good and there was a lot going on. Not perhaps edge of seat but enough. I felt however the book was missing something. I think for me I pick up a Tami Hoag because I want a romantic suspense to read so when I dont get it im disappointed. This book seems a change from what I expected.

However the book was ok with enough to hold a readers interest and I didn't guess who was behind it all. I would like to see Kev Parker again perhaps with a heroine to add something to the story. ( )
  tina1969 | Apr 17, 2016 |
This one is set in Los Angeles of the 2000's. A bike messenger finds himself stuck in the middle of a big problem. The characters were interesting and novel enough that they kept me turning the pages. ( )
  Lylee | Apr 3, 2016 |
88 out of 100 points -- Four and a half stars

Plot -- 18 out of 20 points
The storyline has a lot of unpredictable twists and turns that kept me guessing. Behind the hard-driving actions of complicated heroes and villains lurks enough logic and plausibility to keep the high-drama story real. With so many characters sabotaging their own lives and wreaking havoc with others, more than one suspect seems to have motive and means to commit the crimes, even as the body count rises. That heightens the tension and makes the revelation of the murderous co-conspirator a shocking surprise.

Characters -- 19 points out of 20 points
Ms. Hoag’s characters, on first glance, seem to be so rough around the edges, profane, and living on the edge, I thought I would never be able to relate to them; but she is such a master, she draws in the reader by revealing the humanity (or lack thereof) in each. I soon found myself invested in the characters’ lives. As the good-kid-facing-tough-circumstances, Jace Damon is an unlikely hero, a survivor who just wants to look after his bright young brother and somehow rise above his mediocre lot in life. He gets help with that, thanks to big-hearted messenger dispatcher Eta, wise mentor Madame Chen, little genius Tyler, and even Kevin Parker, the cop now struggling to resurrect his law enforcement career after a big fall from grace.

Setting -- 17 points out of 20 points
The tough, sometimes unsavory world of bike messengers, sleazy lawyers, and manipulative cops who need an attitude adjustment isn’t my normal kind of read. Madame Chen’s restaurant, where Jace Damon and young Tyler find sanctuary during their life on the run, is a refreshing testament to the power of a strong-minded businesswoman determined to succeed in a dangerous corner of the city. It’s definitely a dog eat dog world there, not for the faint of heart.

Pacing -- 17 points out of 20 points
This is definitely a page-turner. Sometimes the action is non-stop, leaving the reader almost breathless. Ms. Hoag seems to pump up the adrenaline to dangerous heights at times, which seems to reflect the lifestyle and mindset of bike messengers.

Tone -- 17 points out of 20 points
The weight of this tale is definitely behind the bad behavior of several of the characters, pushing the tale forward. Twisted love, murderous intent, unethical lapses, predatory behavior, and even ruthless revenge create a very dark aura around the mystery. In the final pages, the reader finds a smidgen of hope for the innocent “lambs” among those vicious “wolves” who roam the streets. A couple of characters might escape that hellish existence, but for those left behind, the bad guys will go on being bad and the good guys will keep on struggling to stay alive. ( )
  sarambarton | Oct 16, 2014 |

Tami Hoagprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pekkanen, HilkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Jester
My little pal who came to me
when I needed him most,
and left far too soon.
Always missed. Always loved.
LA traffic.
Unknown if audiobook is abridged or unabridged

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553583581, Mass Market Paperback)

With this new thriller, The New York Times bestselling author Tami Hoag delivers her own message to suspense fans everywhere: Don't turn off the lights, and keep reading if you dare. From the gritty streets of Los Angeles to its most protected enclaves of prestige and power to the ruthless glamour of Hollywood, a killer stalks his prey. A killer so merciless no one in his way is safe—not even the innocent.

At the end of a long day battling street traffic, bike messenger Jace Damon has one last drop to make. But en route to delivering a package for one of L.A.'s sleaziest defense attorneys, he's nearly run down by a car, chased through back alleys, and shot at. Only the instincts acquired while growing up on the streets of L.A. allow him to escape with his life—and with the package someone wants badly enough to kill for.

Jace returns to Lenny Lowell's office only to find the cops there, the lawyer dead, and Jace himself considered the prime suspect in the savage murder. Suddenly he's on the run from both the cops and a killer, and the key to saving himself and his ten-year-old brother is the envelope he still has—which holds a message no one wants delivered: the truth.

In a city fueled by money, celebrity, and sensationalism, the murder of a bottom-feeding mouthpiece like Lenny Lowell won't make the headlines. So when detectives from the LAPD's elite robbery/homicide division show up, homicide detective Kev Parker wants to know why. Parker is on the downhill slide of a once-promising career, and he doesn't want to be reminded that he used to be one of the hotshots, working cases that made instant celebrities of everyone involved. Like the case of fading retty-boy actor Rob Cole, accused of the brutal murder of his wife, Tricia Crowne-Cole, daughter of one of the most powerful men in the city, L.A.'s latest "crime of the century."

Robbery/Homicide has no reason to be looking at a dead small-time scumbag lawyer or chasing a bike messenger...unless there's something in it for them. Maybe Lenny Lowell had a connection to something big enough to be killed for. Parker begins a search for answers that will lead him to a killer—or the end of his career. Because if there's one lesson he's learned over the years, it's that in a town built on fantasy and fame, delivering the truth can be deadly.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:34 -0400)

A Los Angeles bike messenger is wrongly accused of murder and must rely on his urban survival skills to elude the real killer.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,695,906 books! | Top bar: Always visible