Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

Of Mice and Men (1937)

by John Steinbeck

29,30853353 (3.9)1 / 1124
    To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (nu-bibliophile)
    The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (SkinneeJay)
    SkinneeJay: Both are simple and sad stories. I find the endings pretty similar.
    The Cone-gatherers by Robin Jenkins (chrisharpe)
    I Am the Cheese by Robert Cormier (meggyweg)
    meggyweg: Both these books are perfectly structured, all the plot parts fitting so seamlessly together that not even a knife blade could slip between them. The endings to each are as inevitable as the end of the world.
1930s (7)
Read (53)

English (503)  Spanish (7)  French (6)  Swedish (3)  Dutch (3)  Italian (3)  Norwegian (2)  Finnish (2)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (532)
I can appreciate it and understand it, but at the end of the day it's still depressing. ( )
  melissa_faith | Mar 16, 2019 |
Impressively, I managed to earn an English degree without ever reading this book. Today, I remedied this, and perhaps more impressively, I entered this horrible story unspoiled.

Yes, I said horrible. Yes, I give it four stars. And I might nudge it up to five later, after I've processed it.

Writing classes can (and probably some do) use this little book to teach ... well, a whole list of techniques. How to wield omniscient point of view with the emotional resonance of deep point of view. How to withhold backstory (in this case forever). How to compose audible dialogue in which every character's voice is different.

Most notably, Steinbeck teaches here how to construct a story in which every last thing is inevitable yet none of them is predictable. The foreshadowing of Lennie's death is heavy. Steinbeck wants us to see it coming--or more accurately, to feel it coming. But he doesn't want us to guess the particulars, so we don't (at least I didn't). This book is a storm cloud that begins to grow on the first page, piles higher and higher onto itself until the single streak of electricity, the single crack of thunder, and then the book is over and the reader is left in numb, buzzing shock. This is what I've been reading toward all this time. Of course it is. Why didn't I know it would be George? Wait, maybe I did.

I hate this story for being true. I want a different outcome even as I see that any other end would be a lie. This is life. Horrible and twisted and unjust. Right choices seem wrong and wrong choices seem right. Ours is a muddy world and we are broken, dirty souls, and as always, Steinbeck faces this reality, assaults his readers with it, and doesn't blink.

Dang it. Okay. Five stars. ( )
1 vote AmandaGStevens | Mar 2, 2019 |
I like the way that George looks out and tried to protect Lennie. He is the brains of the duo and tells Lennie on many occasions, especially when trying to get new work. Lennie is a hard working man, but due to his cognitive disabiility he would have been institutionalized if it was not for George. But, Lennie has a tendency to not realize how strong he is, especially when petting mice and other animals. Even though George has told him many times, to be lighter to the touch. ( )
  Mlfjeld | Feb 8, 2019 |
I very much like Steinbeck's writing. There are some beautiful scenes here, and the characters are interesting. But it doesn't add up to all that much. I wasn't disappointed. It is a great novella. But "East of Eden" adds up to more. ( )
  breic | Jan 23, 2019 |
Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck; (5*)

This novel is a classic for all time. A beautifully drawn story of two friends who tramp together from ranch to ranch working a month or so here and there. George makes the decisions for the two of them and takes care of himself and his buddy, Lennie. Lennie is slow minded and unable to make decisions and choices. In the literary world I doubt you will find a character who grabs your heart any tighter than Lennie. There is a purity and innocence about this giant of a man that could never be seen in a normal person.
Every single character in Of Mice and Men is complete and one is able to understand their actions whether good or bad because it makes sense that that particular character would do or say that.
This is an unforgettable novel and it is so beautiful that you won't want to forget it. It has moments of sweetness, moments of horror, moments of sadness so heartbreaking you can feel them.
In one of Steinbeck's journals he said: "Try to understand men, if you understand each other you will be kind to each other. Knowing a man well never leads to hate and nearly always leads to love." How simple and yet how profound. This author was a giant among men and I think that no matter how many times you read him, he will never cease to increase your knowledge nor your desire for knowledge. ( )
12 vote rainpebble | Jan 21, 2019 |

Sinise, GaryNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winterich, John T.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Cannery Row | Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

In Dubious Battle | Of Mice and Men | The Pastures of Heaven | To a God Unknown | Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck

The Short Novels of John Steinbeck: Tortilla Flat/The Red Pony/Of Mice and Men/The Moon Is Down/Cannery Row/The Pearl by John Steinbeck

The Steinbeck Centennial Collection (Boxed Set) by John Steinbeck

Of Mice and Men | Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck

Cannery Row | Grapes of Wrath | Of Mice and Men | Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck

Has the adaptation

Has as a student's study guide

A few miles south of Soledad, the Salinas River drops in close to the hillside bank and runs deep and green.

The tragic story of George Milton and Lennie Small, two displaced migrant ranch workers, who move from place to place in search of new job opportunities during the Great Depression in California, USA.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0142000671, Paperback)

They are an unlikely pair: George is "small and quick and dark of face"; Lennie, a man of tremendous size, has the mind of a young child. Yet they have formed a "family," clinging together in the face of loneliness and alienation. Laborers in California's dusty vegetable fields, they hustle work when they can, living a hand-to-mouth existence. For George and Lennie have a plan: to own an acre of land and a shack they can call their own.

When they land jobs on a ranch in the Salinas Valley, the fulfillment of their dream seems to be within their grasp. But even George cannot guard Lennie from the provocations of a flirtatious woman, nor predict the consequences of Lennie's unswerving obedience to the things George taught him. "A thriller, a gripping tale . . . that you will not set down until it is finished. Steinbeck has touched the quick." —The New York Times

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:26 -0400)

In Depression-era California, two migrant workers dream of better days on a spread of their own until an act of unintentional violence leads to tragic consequences.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141185104, 0141023570, 014103842X, 0241952484

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,424,682 books! | Top bar: Always visible