Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

Of Mice and Men (1937)

by John Steinbeck

27,02449337 (3.9)1 / 1053
    To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (nu-bibliophile)
    The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (SkinneeJay)
    SkinneeJay: Both are simple and sad stories. I find the endings pretty similar.
    The Cone-Gatherers by Robin Jenkins (chrisharpe)
    I Am the Cheese by Robert Cormier (meggyweg)
    meggyweg: Both these books are perfectly structured, all the plot parts fitting so seamlessly together that not even a knife blade could slip between them. The endings to each are as inevitable as the end of the world.
1930s (4)
Read (53)

English (466)  French (6)  Spanish (6)  Swedish (3)  Dutch (3)  Norwegian (2)  Italian (2)  Finnish (2)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  Hebrew (1)  All (493)
I read this book when I was 12. It was a pretty heavy book then.

I really want to read this novel again. Get a fresh perspective. ( )
  Shahnareads | Jun 21, 2017 |
A classic tale of loneliness and heartbreaking loss, the character of Lennie is one of the most poignant ever created. This is a book that dreams even while it collapses all around its dream. ( )
  Soulmuser | May 30, 2017 |
Review can also be found in https://chillandreadblog.wordpress.com/2017/05/08/of-mice-and-men-by-john-steinbeck-bookreview/

Streetwise George and his big, childlike friend Lennie are drifters, searching for work in the fields and valleys of California. They have nothing except the clothes on their back, and a hope that one day they’ll find a place of their own and live the American dream. But dreams come at a price. Gentle giant Lennie doesn’t know his own strength, and when they find work at a ranch he gets into trouble with the boss’s daughter-in-law. Trouble so bad that even his protector George may not be able to save him…

One of Steinbeck’s classic, this little novel takes place in the America of the depression, when people were looking for any kind of job. Those were really hard times and each man was on his own. There was no companionship, no looking after one another. Yet, through Steinbeck’s talent, we see the greatness of some of them, walking through rough paths, trying to back each other up, protect the innocent.

We can see the cruelty of human beings really clear in this book. When people have made their minds, there is no way to change them. Racism is everywhere and it has its rules, as if it were the law. Racism is there not only for people of color, but also people of joy. But there is also kindness and understanding and trying to do the right thing.

A must read for all! ( )
1 vote GeorgiaKo | May 10, 2017 |
Of the best stories ever written! Makes me cry every time. A true classic! The story of George and Lenny just pulls at your heartstrings and won't let go. I really believe that everyone should read this book at least once in their lives. ( )
  Crystal423 | May 1, 2017 |
DAMN YOU STEINBECK!!
Now I have to drink gallons of water cause you drained the 70% water in my body.

Oh yes, I cried so fucking hard the stars died. I just...I can't.

I can't even asfdasdgfafsgklj;aldfjad'fjuhad'fkjha'dufas'dtuwietuS'
DKHFA;SDKGH'kdhsdjg'akjgsal;kjga'sgkkdalghdfklhgda'lfhkha'
dfkhja'dfkhad'asfdasdgfafsgkjkahgljkhtlgjhlkjhlkuyyhkuyfkjhgasfk​;uasfdasdgfafsgksfjgykiglkjioupiuhaklsethpsoidfsdfk​'lfhkha'dfkhja'dfkhad'asfdasdgfafsgkjkahgljkhtlgjhlkjhlkuyyhkuyfkjhgasfk​'lfhkha'dfkhja'dfkhad'asfdasdgfafsgkjkahgljkhtlgjhlkjhlkuyyhkuyfkjhgasfk​;eiSFfsdgdhhfgjfjdfaaadf
*keyboard explodes* ( )
  phoibee | Apr 23, 2017 |
I thought this is a total rip off the original but Seth Grahame rewrote Jane Austen's work. However, Jane's work is still visible.

IT IS A TRUTH universally acknowledged that a zombie in possession of brains must be in want of more brains.

I laughed when I was reading this book. This is an alternate way to relive the story of Jane Austen. It became a little gross when the unmentionables eat some characters, and the action scenes added humor in it.

”No ninjas! How was that possible? 5 daughters brought up at home without any ninjas! I never heard such a thing.”

John Steinbeckprimary authorall editionscalculated
Eggink, ClaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Martin, FletcherIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shillinglaw, SusanIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sinise, GaryNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winterich, John T.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Cannery Row | Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

In Dubious Battle | Of Mice and Men | The Pastures of Heaven | To a God Unknown | Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck

The Short Novels of John Steinbeck: Tortilla Flat/The Red Pony/Of Mice and Men/The Moon Is Down/Cannery Row/The Pearl by John Steinbeck

The Steinbeck Centennial Collection (Boxed Set) by John Steinbeck

Of Mice and Men | Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck

Cannery Row | Grapes of Wrath | Of Mice and Men | Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck

Has the adaptation

Has as a student's study guide

A few miles south of Soledad, the Salinas River drops in close to the hillside bank and runs deep and green.

The tragic story of George Milton and Lennie Small, two displaced migrant ranch workers, who move from place to place in search of new job opportunities during the Great Depression in California, USA.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0142000671, Paperback)

They are an unlikely pair: George is "small and quick and dark of face"; Lennie, a man of tremendous size, has the mind of a young child. Yet they have formed a "family," clinging together in the face of loneliness and alienation. Laborers in California's dusty vegetable fields, they hustle work when they can, living a hand-to-mouth existence. For George and Lennie have a plan: to own an acre of land and a shack they can call their own.

When they land jobs on a ranch in the Salinas Valley, the fulfillment of their dream seems to be within their grasp. But even George cannot guard Lennie from the provocations of a flirtatious woman, nor predict the consequences of Lennie's unswerving obedience to the things George taught him. "A thriller, a gripping tale . . . that you will not set down until it is finished. Steinbeck has touched the quick." —The New York Times

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:26 -0400)

In Depression-era California, two migrant workers dream of better days on a spread of their own until an act of unintentional violence leads to tragic consequences.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141185104, 0141023570, 014103842X, 0241952484

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,196,155 books! | Top bar: Always visible