Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

Of Mice and Men (original 1937; edition 1937)

by John Steinbeck

28,56352252 (3.9)1 / 1090
Member:RebaRelishesReading
Title:Of Mice and Men
Authors:John Steinbeck
Info:P. F. Collier (1937), Hardcover
Rating:*****

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck (1937)

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (nu-bibliophile)
    The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (SkinneeJay)
    SkinneeJay: Both are simple and sad stories. I find the endings pretty similar.
    The Cone-Gatherers by Robin Jenkins (chrisharpe)
    I Am the Cheese by Robert Cormier (meggyweg)
    meggyweg: Both these books are perfectly structured, all the plot parts fitting so seamlessly together that not even a knife blade could slip between them. The endings to each are as inevitable as the end of the world.
1930s (7)
Read (53)

English (493)  Spanish (6)  French (6)  Swedish (3)  Dutch (3)  Italian (3)  Norwegian (2)  Finnish (2)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (521)
This short novel (barely 100 pages) is often cited as one of the great classics of 20th century literature and has been studied by countless students in the English-speaking world (as a touch of cynicism, its short nature has no doubt helped considerably with this). It concerns a period in the lives of two itinerant agricultural labourers in 1930s California, George Milton and Lennie Small. The former is the brains of the pair, who looks after and protects, but is also frequently exasperated by, by the unintelligent Lennie. The latter's lack of intelligence is combined with a gentle and naive disposition, but also great strength, the latter combination of factors giving rise to the tragic denouement of the story. There are some other interesting characters, including the black stable hand, Crooks. Despite the background of poverty, oppression and aimlessness in the lives of the protagonists, caused by wider national economic factors, the novel feels as if it takes place claustrophobically in its own bubble, cut off from the outside world. Despite its strong themes and emotional impact, I would say this is not really an all-time classic with long-lasting influence, at least not in the same league as other American classics such as To Kill a Mockingbird. ( )
  john257hopper | Aug 12, 2018 |
wow. heavy. beautifully written. im sad now :( ( )
  MegScrungus | Aug 7, 2018 |
This book was devastating. It's not a book that I love or is near and dear to my heart, but I didn't hate it either. I think I would've liked it more if it hadn't ended the way it did. Things were going as fine as they could be, I think, and then everything went downhill (starting with a puppy), and that was when I decided I didn't really want to keep reading (though I did, and I did regret it to a certain extent). So, all of that to say, I only recommend this one to readers who won't be entirely devastated by animal or human deaths, especially at the end of a book. ( )
  justagirlwithabook | Aug 1, 2018 |
Short and too the point, really enjoyed reading it. ( )
  simonspacecadet | Jul 29, 2018 |
I'm pretty sure I read this in 8th or 9th grade, but that was right before I started keeping an organized book list in March of 1982, so I can't be sure of the exact date. Regardless, it was well worth revisiting 35 years later. This is one of the most moving and heartbreaking stories ever told. ( )
  villemezbrown | Jul 28, 2018 |

Sinise, GaryNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winterich, John T.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Cannery Row | Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

In Dubious Battle | Of Mice and Men | The Pastures of Heaven | To a God Unknown | Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck

The Short Novels of John Steinbeck: Tortilla Flat/The Red Pony/Of Mice and Men/The Moon Is Down/Cannery Row/The Pearl by John Steinbeck

The Steinbeck Centennial Collection (Boxed Set) by John Steinbeck

Of Mice and Men | Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck

Cannery Row | Grapes of Wrath | Of Mice and Men | Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck

Has the adaptation

Has as a student's study guide

A few miles south of Soledad, the Salinas River drops in close to the hillside bank and runs deep and green.

The tragic story of George Milton and Lennie Small, two displaced migrant ranch workers, who move from place to place in search of new job opportunities during the Great Depression in California, USA.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0142000671, Paperback)

They are an unlikely pair: George is "small and quick and dark of face"; Lennie, a man of tremendous size, has the mind of a young child. Yet they have formed a "family," clinging together in the face of loneliness and alienation. Laborers in California's dusty vegetable fields, they hustle work when they can, living a hand-to-mouth existence. For George and Lennie have a plan: to own an acre of land and a shack they can call their own.

When they land jobs on a ranch in the Salinas Valley, the fulfillment of their dream seems to be within their grasp. But even George cannot guard Lennie from the provocations of a flirtatious woman, nor predict the consequences of Lennie's unswerving obedience to the things George taught him. "A thriller, a gripping tale . . . that you will not set down until it is finished. Steinbeck has touched the quick." —The New York Times

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:26 -0400)

In Depression-era California, two migrant workers dream of better days on a spread of their own until an act of unintentional violence leads to tragic consequences.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141185104, 0141023570, 014103842X, 0241952484

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,022,126 books! | Top bar: Always visible