Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

Of Mice and Men (original 1937; edition 1990)

by John Steinbeck

23,30140547 (3.91)1 / 774
Member:immaculatechaos
Title:Of Mice and Men
Authors:John Steinbeck
Info:The First Edition Library (1990), Edition: Reissue, Hardcover
Rating:***

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck (1937)

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (nu-bibliophile)
    The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (SkinneeJay)
    SkinneeJay: Both are simple and sad stories. I find the endings pretty similar.
    The Cone-Gatherers by Robin Jenkins (chrisharpe)
    I Am the Cheese by Robert Cormier (meggyweg)
    meggyweg: Both these books are perfectly structured, all the plot parts fitting so seamlessly together that not even a knife blade could slip between them. The endings to each are as inevitable as the end of the world.

English (382)  French (5)  Dutch (3)  Swedish (3)  Spanish (3)  Finnish (2)  Italian (2)  Norwegian (1)  German (1)  Hebrew (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (404)
This is certainly a powerful story and it really packs a punch considering how short it is. Although I admired how the author helps you understand the depths of the connection between George and Lennie within such a short time frame, I did find the treatment of the female character as quite clichéd. Granted, I don't know any of Steinbeck's other work or other American literature from this period so I have no similar female characters to compare this to. ( )
  pcollins | Jul 27, 2014 |
Well, that had to be one of the more emotionally exhausting endings I have ever read. It's amazing to me what Steinbeck was able to accomplish with a mere 100 pages. Lennie managed to be one of the sweeter and most brutal characters I've ever read about. The clash between the amount of chaos he was able to cause and the gentle nature of the rest of his actions was perfect.

There's not much I can say about this book, other than that I really liked it and I can completely see why this book had all the praise that it did. Good read. ( )
  michplunkett | Jul 14, 2014 |
This is on our 9th grade reading list....but I wouldn't subject myself (or students) to it. It's not terrible, just not worth reading again (in my mind). ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
“We got a future. We got somebody to talk to that gives a damn about us. We don’t have to sit in no bar room blowin’ in our jack jus’ because we got no place else to go. [...] But not us.”
Lennie broke in. “But not us! An’ why? Because… because I got you to look after me, and you got me to look after you, and that’s why.”

Of Mice and Men is the prominent classic set during the Great Depression about the friendship between two men, George and Lennie. Lennie has a big heart but doesn’t possess the mind of a mature adult and after an incident in the last town they lived in where he was accused of rape after touching a woman’s dress, the two have to travel to find new work.

George and Lennie share big dreams of one day owning their own land and from the very beginning the reader is painted a despairing picture despite their constant optimism. It’s a simplistic and saddening story of day-to-day survival; of individuals forever hoping to achieve their unattainable dreams. The novel, published in 1937, showcases the mindset and struggles of people during this period in history. It explores in depth yet with few pages how the Great Depression affected society and also the prejudices, sexism and rampant racism. The end of George and Lennie’s story brings a loss of hope, a loss of purpose and an abandoning of dreams that is nothing short of a tragedy. ( )
  bonniemarjorie | Jul 8, 2014 |
To Americans whose eyes are still smarting from the unhappy ending of the Wall Street fairy tale of 1929, John Steinbeck's little dream story will not seem out of line with reality; they may even overlook the fact that it too is a fairy tale. An oxymoronic combination of the tough & tender, Of Mice and Men will appeal to sentimental cynics, cynical sentimentalists.
added by Shortride | editTime (pay site) (Mar 1, 1937)

John Steinbeck is no mere virtuoso in the art of story telling; but he is one. Whether he writes about the amiable outcasts of 'Tortilla Flat" or about the grim strikers of In "Dubious Battle," he tells a story.

There's a simplicity, a directness, a poignancy in the story that gives it a singular power, difficult to define. Steinbeck is a genius and an original.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Feb 1, 1936)

John Steinbeckprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Eggink, ClaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Martin, FletcherIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shillinglaw, SusanIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sinise, GaryNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winterich, John T.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Cannery Row | Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

In Dubious Battle | Of Mice and Men | The Pastures of Heaven | To a God Unknown | Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck

The Short Novels of John Steinbeck: Tortilla Flat/The Red Pony/Of Mice and Men/The Moon Is Down/Cannery Row/The Pearl by John Steinbeck

The Steinbeck Centennial Collection (Boxed Set) by John Steinbeck

Of Mice and Men | Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck

Cannery Row | Grapes of Wrath | Of Mice and Men | Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck

Has the adaptation

Has as a student's study guide

A few miles south of Soledad, the Salinas River drops in close to the hillside bank and runs deep and green.

The tragic story of George Milton and Lennie Small, two displaced migrant ranch workers, who move from place to place in search of new job opportunities during the Great Depression in California, USA.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0142000671, Paperback)

They are an unlikely pair: George is "small and quick and dark of face"; Lennie, a man of tremendous size, has the mind of a young child. Yet they have formed a "family," clinging together in the face of loneliness and alienation. Laborers in California's dusty vegetable fields, they hustle work when they can, living a hand-to-mouth existence. For George and Lennie have a plan: to own an acre of land and a shack they can call their own.

When they land jobs on a ranch in the Salinas Valley, the fulfillment of their dream seems to be within their grasp. But even George cannot guard Lennie from the provocations of a flirtatious woman, nor predict the consequences of Lennie's unswerving obedience to the things George taught him. "A thriller, a gripping tale . . . that you will not set down until it is finished. Steinbeck has touched the quick." —The New York Times

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:50 -0400)

In Depression-era California, two migrant workers dream of better days on a spread of their own until an act of unintentional violence leads to tragic consequences.

5 2058

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Four editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141185104, 0141023570, 014103842X, 0241952484

The Library of America

An edition of this book was published by The Library of America.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,664,983 books! | Top bar: Always visible