Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

Of Mice and Men (original 1937; edition 1990)

by John Steinbeck

Info:The First Edition Library (1990), Edition: Reissue, Hardcover
Collections:Ingram, Your library
Rating:***
Tags:Friendswood 150, Beautiful Books

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck (1937)

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (nu-bibliophile)
    The great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (SkinneeJay)
    SkinneeJay: Both are simple and sad stories. I find the endings pretty similar.
    Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes (sturlington)
    The Cone-Gatherers by Robin Jenkins (chrisharpe)
    I Am the Cheese by Robert Cormier (meggyweg)
    meggyweg: Both these books are perfectly structured, all the plot parts fitting so seamlessly together that not even a knife blade could slip between them. The endings to each are as inevitable as the end of the world.
1930s (4)
Read (52)
Unread books (1,110)

English (407)  French (5)  Spanish (4)  Swedish (3)  Dutch (3)  Finnish (2)  Italian (2)  Norwegian (1)  German (1)  Hebrew (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (430)
Always stuck with me from when I read it in school. The ending always haunted me in a way when I was younger. ( )
  Fearshop | Aug 20, 2015 |
i feel like i already read this book once. or maybe i saw the movie. everything just seemed vaguely familiar as i was reading it. anyway, i really like steinbeck's characters, and i don't want to give anything away, but i really liked the ending. ( )
  klburnside | Aug 11, 2015 |
George and Lennie job-hop across America during the Great Depression, eventually settling at a ranch in Salinas Valley, California, when the novel opens. The two grown men are as different as night and day--George being the cold, stern, older brother type who would be a complete lone wolf if it weren't for Lennie, the man-child he is responsible for. Lennie's very Freudian fixation on soft things--mice, rabbits, velvet--instigates trouble from the very start, so it is of little surprise that the story's climax has something to do with it (no spoilers I promise).

I have not read enough of Steinbeck's works to know what his intentions were as an author, nor whether or not this title is representative of his style, though what is for certain is that his ability to fabricate a scene is seemingly effortless. The use of an intimate, brotherly conversation between the two men at the start of the book calls upon the reader to sympathize from page one, making the tale taut with tension as gruff, unpleasant characters begin to crop up and attempt to disrupt their friendship. Yet all characters are distinctly memorable due to Steinbeck's knack for realism--all the men found here may have been roughened up from their heavy labor, yet the ranch proves to be a mini-ecosystem of sorts where each individual serves a distinct purpose.

In addition to all of this, there is a prominent layer of sexuality found in Of Mice and Men, which is kept under the table, under strain and in warped forms as a consequence of the ranch's gender ratio and the lustful attitude of Curley's wife, the woman who struts across town in a red dress in search of men to tease. Now, if you've read this novel, you may remember how Curley keeps his hand in a glove that's been coated inside with Vaseline. Being such an odd symbol, I took to the streets (and by that I mean the internet) to find its meaning, and stumbled across a wonderful literary blog called Mindful Pleasures where Brian A. Oard provides us with a fantastic interpretation that relates back to the wife. It blew me away completely and added a layer of depth that, quite honestly, I wished I had known about when reading this book for the first time in middle school, though I may have been too young for it. You can/should read his post here.

Though I realize some may be discouraged by the Southern, old man slang that is used in this novella, I really think it's no excuse not to read this tale. I realize it may not be for some, but you may find that it is a classic for a reason.

If you want to read more of my reviews, check out my book blog! ( )
  themythbookshelf | Aug 8, 2015 |
  kutheatre | Jun 7, 2015 |
To Americans whose eyes are still smarting from the unhappy ending of the Wall Street fairy tale of 1929, John Steinbeck's little dream story will not seem out of line with reality; they may even overlook the fact that it too is a fairy tale. An oxymoronic combination of the tough & tender, Of Mice and Men will appeal to sentimental cynics, cynical sentimentalists.
added by Shortride | editTime (pay site) (Mar 1, 1937)

John Steinbeck is no mere virtuoso in the art of story telling; but he is one. Whether he writes about the amiable outcasts of 'Tortilla Flat" or about the grim strikers of In "Dubious Battle," he tells a story.

There's a simplicity, a directness, a poignancy in the story that gives it a singular power, difficult to define. Steinbeck is a genius and an original.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Feb 1, 1936)

John Steinbeckprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Eggink, ClaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Martin, FletcherIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shillinglaw, SusanIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sinise, GaryNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winterich, John T.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Cannery Row | Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

In Dubious Battle | Of Mice and Men | The Pastures of Heaven | To a God Unknown | Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck

The Short Novels of John Steinbeck: Tortilla Flat/The Red Pony/Of Mice and Men/The Moon Is Down/Cannery Row/The Pearl by John Steinbeck

The Steinbeck Centennial Collection (Boxed Set) by John Steinbeck

Of Mice and Men | Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck

Cannery Row | Grapes of Wrath | Of Mice and Men | Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck

Has the adaptation

Has as a student's study guide

A few miles south of Soledad, the Salinas River drops in close to the hillside bank and runs deep and green.

The tragic story of George Milton and Lennie Small, two displaced migrant ranch workers, who move from place to place in search of new job opportunities during the Great Depression in California, USA.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0142000671, Paperback)

They are an unlikely pair: George is "small and quick and dark of face"; Lennie, a man of tremendous size, has the mind of a young child. Yet they have formed a "family," clinging together in the face of loneliness and alienation. Laborers in California's dusty vegetable fields, they hustle work when they can, living a hand-to-mouth existence. For George and Lennie have a plan: to own an acre of land and a shack they can call their own.

When they land jobs on a ranch in the Salinas Valley, the fulfillment of their dream seems to be within their grasp. But even George cannot guard Lennie from the provocations of a flirtatious woman, nor predict the consequences of Lennie's unswerving obedience to the things George taught him. "A thriller, a gripping tale . . . that you will not set down until it is finished. Steinbeck has touched the quick." —The New York Times

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:26 -0400)

In Depression-era California, two migrant workers dream of better days on a spread of their own until an act of unintentional violence leads to tragic consequences.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141185104, 0141023570, 014103842X, 0241952484

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,142,693 books! | Top bar: Always visible