Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

Of Mice and Men (original 1937; edition 1993)

by John Steinbeck

24,31442645 (3.9)1 / 835
Member:paulgray
Title:Of Mice and Men
Authors:John Steinbeck
Info:Penguin Books (1993), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 112 pages
Rating:***

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck (1937)

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (nu-bibliophile)
    The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (SkinneeJay)
    SkinneeJay: Both are simple and sad stories. I find the endings pretty similar.
    The Cone-Gatherers by Robin Jenkins (chrisharpe)
    Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes (sturlington)
    I Am the Cheese by Robert Cormier (meggyweg)
    meggyweg: Both these books are perfectly structured, all the plot parts fitting so seamlessly together that not even a knife blade could slip between them. The endings to each are as inevitable as the end of the world.
1930s (4)
Read (52)
Unread books (1,660)

English (399)  French (6)  Spanish (4)  Dutch (3)  Swedish (3)  Finnish (2)  Italian (2)  Norwegian (1)  German (1)  Hebrew (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (423)
Just read this for my GCSE English. Even better today than it was 30 odd years ago when I first read it. ( )
  MathewBridle | May 4, 2015 |
"Tell me about the rabbits again George." I read this book in the ninth grade as an assignment for English class. At first I wasn't thrilled about the teachers pick, but then I found myself reading way ahead of the rest of the class. This book is that good. Great story about what true friends will do to keep another out of TRUE harms way. George is faced with the ultimate choice, one that others would crumble under, and he was strong enough to carry through. ( )
  kat32969 | Apr 20, 2015 |
This heart-wrenching American classic holds my interest every time I read it. Only great writers like Steinbeck can make you feel all the same things over and over again as if you've just read the book for the first time. It's funny how I always let myself think things might turn out differently; only to be surprised as the drama unfolds "just like it had always done before." ( )
  jimocracy | Apr 18, 2015 |
Re-read because my teen son is studying it in school and he thinks it's very good. Gosh, we'd never have gotten anything like this back then! You'd think Nevada to be fairly conservative, but I will say this, Carson City schools and libraries are not afraid to put controversial books in the hands of the children. Yay! ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
This book sometimes makes me cry. I love the characters of George and Lennie. It is so tragic what George feels that he has to do in the end. ( )
  RBeene | Mar 17, 2015 |
To Americans whose eyes are still smarting from the unhappy ending of the Wall Street fairy tale of 1929, John Steinbeck's little dream story will not seem out of line with reality; they may even overlook the fact that it too is a fairy tale. An oxymoronic combination of the tough & tender, Of Mice and Men will appeal to sentimental cynics, cynical sentimentalists.
added by Shortride | editTime (pay site) (Mar 1, 1937)

John Steinbeck is no mere virtuoso in the art of story telling; but he is one. Whether he writes about the amiable outcasts of 'Tortilla Flat" or about the grim strikers of In "Dubious Battle," he tells a story.

There's a simplicity, a directness, a poignancy in the story that gives it a singular power, difficult to define. Steinbeck is a genius and an original.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Feb 1, 1936)

John Steinbeckprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Eggink, ClaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Martin, FletcherIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shillinglaw, SusanIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sinise, GaryNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winterich, John T.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Cannery Row | Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

In Dubious Battle | Of Mice and Men | The Pastures of Heaven | To a God Unknown | Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck

The Short Novels of John Steinbeck: Tortilla Flat/The Red Pony/Of Mice and Men/The Moon Is Down/Cannery Row/The Pearl by John Steinbeck

The Steinbeck Centennial Collection (Boxed Set) by John Steinbeck

Of Mice and Men | Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck

Cannery Row | Grapes of Wrath | Of Mice and Men | Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck

Has the adaptation

Has as a student's study guide

A few miles south of Soledad, the Salinas River drops in close to the hillside bank and runs deep and green.

The tragic story of George Milton and Lennie Small, two displaced migrant ranch workers, who move from place to place in search of new job opportunities during the Great Depression in California, USA.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0142000671, Paperback)

They are an unlikely pair: George is "small and quick and dark of face"; Lennie, a man of tremendous size, has the mind of a young child. Yet they have formed a "family," clinging together in the face of loneliness and alienation. Laborers in California's dusty vegetable fields, they hustle work when they can, living a hand-to-mouth existence. For George and Lennie have a plan: to own an acre of land and a shack they can call their own.

When they land jobs on a ranch in the Salinas Valley, the fulfillment of their dream seems to be within their grasp. But even George cannot guard Lennie from the provocations of a flirtatious woman, nor predict the consequences of Lennie's unswerving obedience to the things George taught him. "A thriller, a gripping tale . . . that you will not set down until it is finished. Steinbeck has touched the quick." —The New York Times

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:50 -0400)

In Depression-era California, two migrant workers dream of better days on a spread of their own until an act of unintentional violence leads to tragic consequences.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141185104, 0141023570, 014103842X, 0241952484

The Library of America

An edition of this book was published by The Library of America.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,226,933 books! | Top bar: Always visible