Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

Of Mice and Men (original 1937; edition 1993)

by John Steinbeck

26,12247942 (3.9)1 / 967
Member:paulgray
Title:Of Mice and Men
Authors:John Steinbeck
Info:Penguin Books (1993), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 112 pages
Rating:***

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck (1937)

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (nu-bibliophile)
    The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (SkinneeJay)
    SkinneeJay: Both are simple and sad stories. I find the endings pretty similar.
    The Cone-Gatherers by Robin Jenkins (chrisharpe)
    I Am the Cheese by Robert Cormier (meggyweg)
    meggyweg: Both these books are perfectly structured, all the plot parts fitting so seamlessly together that not even a knife blade could slip between them. The endings to each are as inevitable as the end of the world.
1930s (4)
Read (53)

English (451)  French (6)  Spanish (6)  Swedish (3)  Dutch (3)  Norwegian (2)  Italian (2)  Finnish (2)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (478)
Knjigu koja nema ni 100 strana sam čitala čitav tjedan. Knjiga je odlična ali ja jednostavno nisam odjednom mogla podnijeti toliko tuge, jada i čemera.
Središnji likovi su prijatelji George i Lennie koji u periodu velike krize putuju od farme do farme zarađujući za goli život sanjajući da jednom posjeduju vlastitu malu farmu. George je mozak njihova prijateljstva dok je Lennie mentalno dijete u izrazito jakom tijelu.
I svi likovi u knjizi sanjaju svoj san. Nekom je to mala farma, nekom Hollywood... Knjiga je puna snova i osamljenosti. Meni se dopada Steinbeck-ov stil pisanja. Jednostavan je ali izuzetno upečatljiv poput svojih likova, te je uspio u meni pobuditi ogromnu količinu empatije. Ovo mi je bila emotivno izuzetno teška knjiga. ( )
  Dinci | Aug 16, 2016 |
  Dinci | Aug 16, 2016 |
George and Lennie are reflected as migrant workers through life and dream of a better future. The work is hard. Drag from farm to farm, from harvest to harvest. The tall and burly, but mentally retarded Lennie combines a comradely friendship with the skilful and clever George who constantly looks after Lennie. At the campfire he tells Lennie how difficult he finds it to have to constantly take care of him. But serving as Lennie, only to move on, George takes back everything he'd rather stay with Lennie. He noted that migrant workers as he and Lennie are among the loneliest people without family, without a home, the hew their savings right back on the head. But with Lennie he wants to invest his earnings one day in a piece of land, with house, cows, pigs, chickens and rabbits.
They find work on the farm of Curley and soon realize that this will only bring trouble. There they meet Slim and Crooks, but even both accept Lennie they can not turn him away from his fate.
I was very touched by this story. ( )
1 vote Ameise1 | Jul 16, 2016 |
This is probably a good book for discussion, but ultimately, I didn't like it. I struggled a lot to find motivation to even finish this book even with its short length. I didn't like the ending, nor the prevalent negativity throughout the story. I understand that this was written during the Great Depression, so in context it makes sense, but I wasn't in the mood for it. Maybe if the book had taken longer to develop the characters I would have cared about them more, but I doubt it. Not a book for me. ( )
  Kassilem | Jul 6, 2016 |
I had a rocky start with Steinbeck, so I picked up this book with trepidation. I felt a bit like Mikey from the old Life cereal commercials – I'll try it, but I'm not gonna like it. Just like Mikey, I did like it. I discovered that listening to Gary Sinise read makes Steinbeck a lot more palatable for me. Being an avid viewer of Bugs Bunny cartoons in my youth also helped with this one. Thanks to The Abominable Snow Rabbit, I had a pretty good idea where this one was heading. The abundance of cultural references to this novel make it a must-read for students of American literature. I should read a print edition at least once so that I can pause to ponder specific passages, and refer back to earlier passages to examine connections to later ones. ( )
  cbl_tn | Jul 3, 2016 |
To Americans whose eyes are still smarting from the unhappy ending of the Wall Street fairy tale of 1929, John Steinbeck's little dream story will not seem out of line with reality; they may even overlook the fact that it too is a fairy tale. An oxymoronic combination of the tough & tender, Of Mice and Men will appeal to sentimental cynics, cynical sentimentalists.
added by Shortride | editTime (pay site) (Mar 1, 1937)

John Steinbeck is no mere virtuoso in the art of story telling; but he is one. Whether he writes about the amiable outcasts of 'Tortilla Flat" or about the grim strikers of In "Dubious Battle," he tells a story.

There's a simplicity, a directness, a poignancy in the story that gives it a singular power, difficult to define. Steinbeck is a genius and an original.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Feb 1, 1936)

John Steinbeckprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sinise, GaryNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winterich, John T.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Cannery Row | Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

In Dubious Battle | Of Mice and Men | The Pastures of Heaven | To a God Unknown | Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck

The Short Novels of John Steinbeck: Tortilla Flat/The Red Pony/Of Mice and Men/The Moon Is Down/Cannery Row/The Pearl by John Steinbeck

The Steinbeck Centennial Collection (Boxed Set) by John Steinbeck

Of Mice and Men | Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck

Cannery Row | Grapes of Wrath | Of Mice and Men | Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck

Has the adaptation

Has as a student's study guide

A few miles south of Soledad, the Salinas River drops in close to the hillside bank and runs deep and green.

The tragic story of George Milton and Lennie Small, two displaced migrant ranch workers, who move from place to place in search of new job opportunities during the Great Depression in California, USA.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0142000671, Paperback)

They are an unlikely pair: George is "small and quick and dark of face"; Lennie, a man of tremendous size, has the mind of a young child. Yet they have formed a "family," clinging together in the face of loneliness and alienation. Laborers in California's dusty vegetable fields, they hustle work when they can, living a hand-to-mouth existence. For George and Lennie have a plan: to own an acre of land and a shack they can call their own.

When they land jobs on a ranch in the Salinas Valley, the fulfillment of their dream seems to be within their grasp. But even George cannot guard Lennie from the provocations of a flirtatious woman, nor predict the consequences of Lennie's unswerving obedience to the things George taught him. "A thriller, a gripping tale . . . that you will not set down until it is finished. Steinbeck has touched the quick." —The New York Times

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:26 -0400)

In Depression-era California, two migrant workers dream of better days on a spread of their own until an act of unintentional violence leads to tragic consequences.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141185104, 0141023570, 014103842X, 0241952484

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,423,789 books! | Top bar: Always visible