Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

Of Mice and Men (original 1937; edition 1993)

by John Steinbeck

25,73346744 (3.9)1 / 920
Member:paulgray
Title:Of Mice and Men
Authors:John Steinbeck
Info:Penguin Books (1993), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 112 pages
Rating:***

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck (1937)

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (nu-bibliophile)
    The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (SkinneeJay)
    SkinneeJay: Both are simple and sad stories. I find the endings pretty similar.
    Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes (sturlington)
    The Cone-Gatherers by Robin Jenkins (chrisharpe)
    I Am the Cheese by Robert Cormier (meggyweg)
    meggyweg: Both these books are perfectly structured, all the plot parts fitting so seamlessly together that not even a knife blade could slip between them. The endings to each are as inevitable as the end of the world.
1930s (4)
Read (53)

English (441)  French (6)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (3)  Swedish (3)  Finnish (2)  Italian (2)  Norwegian (1)  German (1)  Hebrew (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (466)
I never expected that this story will leave a mark in my memory.
Story begins with two workers who are kicked out from their old job and who are in search of a new one.
George Milton, a normal person.
Lennie Small, a not-so-normal person.

Both are together, who fight, who reconcile, who stand for each other and who have same dream. A dream which will cause the reader the agony that is felt by George Milton at the end. A dream that will cause the reader the helpless innocence that is felt by Lennie Small at the end.

Wonderful story with a tragedy so cleverly infused from the beginning, which will make us dream and get hurt. ( )
  PallaviSharma | May 9, 2016 |
I have really enjoyed reading this book. I have read it a number of times over the past three years supporting a number of students through there GCSE's. Steinbeck really brings the friendship between George and Lennie to life, showing how George will do anything to help Lennie.

An amazing book. ( )
  Kimwallace | Apr 27, 2016 |
Read
  MrsDoglvrs | Apr 24, 2016 |
Wow. Powerful stuff. A fine example of a story that takes on a life of its own, breaking away from the author. At a certain point, the story says, sotto voce, "You can put down your pen, Mr. Steinbeck, I can take it from here,"

I was seeing the story vividly as a play, and indeed it was performed while the book was still on the bestseller list in 1937, and won the New York Drama Critics' Circle award for best play. Steinbeck's intention was to write this as a play that could be read as a novel.

Came across a 55-minute radio play from 1953, starring Burgess Meredith and Anthony Quinn, who sound just like the characters' voices that I heard in my mind while reading it.

TheBookJunky | Apr 22, 2016 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. This book I read in school like lots of others. I don't remember enjoying it as much as I did now but I was aware of the tragic ending. In this relatively short book, you get a real feel of the relationship between George and Lennie. You feel sorry for Lennie, he's living a very simple life with limited understanding but similarly you feel the burden the George feels about Lennie. The other characters are there but I seemed drawn exclusively to the friendship of Geoerge and Lennie. At the end, I felt real sadness for them both at the situation, what had to happen and what happened. This was a well written, thought-provoking book.
  Nataliec7 | Apr 20, 2016 |
To Americans whose eyes are still smarting from the unhappy ending of the Wall Street fairy tale of 1929, John Steinbeck's little dream story will not seem out of line with reality; they may even overlook the fact that it too is a fairy tale. An oxymoronic combination of the tough & tender, Of Mice and Men will appeal to sentimental cynics, cynical sentimentalists.
added by Shortride | editTime (pay site) (Mar 1, 1937)

John Steinbeck is no mere virtuoso in the art of story telling; but he is one. Whether he writes about the amiable outcasts of 'Tortilla Flat" or about the grim strikers of In "Dubious Battle," he tells a story.

There's a simplicity, a directness, a poignancy in the story that gives it a singular power, difficult to define. Steinbeck is a genius and an original.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Feb 1, 1936)

John Steinbeckprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sinise, GaryNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winterich, John T.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Cannery Row | Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

In Dubious Battle | Of Mice and Men | The Pastures of Heaven | To a God Unknown | Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck

The Short Novels of John Steinbeck: Tortilla Flat/The Red Pony/Of Mice and Men/The Moon Is Down/Cannery Row/The Pearl by John Steinbeck

The Steinbeck Centennial Collection (Boxed Set) by John Steinbeck

Of Mice and Men | Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck

Cannery Row | Grapes of Wrath | Of Mice and Men | Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck

Has the adaptation

Has as a student's study guide

A few miles south of Soledad, the Salinas River drops in close to the hillside bank and runs deep and green.

The tragic story of George Milton and Lennie Small, two displaced migrant ranch workers, who move from place to place in search of new job opportunities during the Great Depression in California, USA.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0142000671, Paperback)

They are an unlikely pair: George is "small and quick and dark of face"; Lennie, a man of tremendous size, has the mind of a young child. Yet they have formed a "family," clinging together in the face of loneliness and alienation. Laborers in California's dusty vegetable fields, they hustle work when they can, living a hand-to-mouth existence. For George and Lennie have a plan: to own an acre of land and a shack they can call their own.

When they land jobs on a ranch in the Salinas Valley, the fulfillment of their dream seems to be within their grasp. But even George cannot guard Lennie from the provocations of a flirtatious woman, nor predict the consequences of Lennie's unswerving obedience to the things George taught him. "A thriller, a gripping tale . . . that you will not set down until it is finished. Steinbeck has touched the quick." —The New York Times

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:26 -0400)

In Depression-era California, two migrant workers dream of better days on a spread of their own until an act of unintentional violence leads to tragic consequences.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141185104, 0141023570, 014103842X, 0241952484

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,854,861 books! | Top bar: Always visible