Wheel of the Infinite by Martha Wells

Wheel of the Infinite

by Martha Wells

English (5)  Dutch (1)  All languages (6)
I really wish I had the time to write this one up fully, but it’s awesome! The worldbuilding is incredible (oh, wait, I just said that…). It’s also a mystery with a great main character. In short, it’s one of those books that made me wish I could write this well. Bonus: beautiful cover. Dobble bonus: multicultural sff, where everyone is treated respectfully and comes across as real people! ( )
  maureene87 | Apr 4, 2013 |
Sword-and-Sorcery of a superior ilk. Wells is widely praised for her original world-building and that is skill is on display here. The central plot concerns a highly detailed religion with vague hints of eastern spirituality which anchors the magic into the nature of this world. The well-developed (as a character, not like at the gym), middle-aged female protagonist is refreshing in a fantasy work. The plot gets a little more convoluted than might be necessary. And there's a bit of back-story that, when it's finally explained, doesn't quiet live up to the buildup. But those are not major flaws. A definite cut above the usual mark for the genre. ( )
  WildMaggie | Aug 23, 2010 |
Another great Amrtha Wells book: Of all the books I've read so far this summer, this was the one I liked best. I haven't read everything Ms. Wells has written, but I've never been disappointed. The characters are interesting, the story flows well and is well structured, and she has created an interesting culture with memorable descriptions, and an interesting mystical magic system. Highly recommended!
  iayork | Aug 9, 2009 |
I liked it. Readable. Confusing plot, or at least piecing together the backstory to make sense of the present plot was confusing. But the spiritualiity was handled plausibly - at least, the characters attitudes to religion seemed plausible. And the middle aged, repeatedly married, falliable female heroine was very nice.
1 vote krisiti | Jul 1, 2009 |
Neat world. I really like big-picture fantasy cosmologies, and this one was very cool. ( )
  aneel | May 10, 2007 |
To Kimberley Rector, for being there
Maskelle had been asking the Ancestors to stop the rain three days running now and, as usual, they weren't listening.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380788152, Mass Market Paperback)

With her previous novel The Death of the Necromancer, Wells established herself as a skilled fantasy world-builder with the ability to blend mystery and intrigue with plenty of buckle and swash. Here she departs from more familiar pseudohistorical European settings for the Celestial Empire, a land where life moves in eternal circles and the wishes of departed ancestors can have as much influence as the living on day-to-day life. Itinerant ex-priestess Maskelle was once the Voice of the Adversary, vessel to a spirit created by the Ancestors and given the task of punishing injustice and evil. When a false message from an interfering evil spirit led her to commit murder, Maskelle left the faith, only to return now, years later, answering the summons of the Celestial One. Someone--or something--has corrupted the great Wheel of the Infinite, distorting the sacred patterns which must be faithfully recreated at the end of each year to ensure the continual existence of the world. The only way to repair the pattern is to find the being responsible for disturbing it, and so the Adversary's Voice is needed once again, despite the past. Assisted by the swordsman Rian, a lordless bodyguard from distant Sitane, Maskelle uncovers an intricate plot whose roots were set into motion long ago--a plot responsible for the murder which forced her to leave the faith. Engaging characters and a convincing setting make this novel of ancient schemes and twisted magic an excellent and memorable read. --Charlene Brusso

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:33 -0400)

Martha Wells is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,036,476 books! | Top bar: Always visible