Beneath the Bleeding by Val McDermid

Beneath the Bleeding (2007)

by Val McDermid

Series: Tony Hill/Carol Jordan (5)

English (18)  Swedish (3)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (23)
What are the odds? I checked out seven books last week. Two of the mysteries had the same problem (human trafficking), and this book has the same poison used in one of the cozies.

On the other hand, Beneath the Bleeding is nothing like the cozy. Our heroine, DCI Carol Jordan, and our hero, psychologist and criminal profiler Dr. Tony Hill, are faced with two murder mysteries. One of the mysteries involves poison and the other is a mass murder that sees DCI Jordan and her team shunted aside by some arrogant government men in black who have had all the manners trained out of them. One of them isn't a complete jerk, but I agreed with the author's assessment of what their heavy-handed methods were likely to induce in those unfortunate enough to encounter them. A conversation about the effect a British TV show called 'Spooks' might have on viewers regarding the actions of real life intelligence agents was quite interesting.

The book opens with the scene that leads to Dr. Hill being in the hospital. There he is dismayed to be visited by his mother, Vanessa, a cold businesswoman who has two reasons to be at his bedside, neither of which is to help him. Carol Jordan is a much more welcome visitor, but she's not buying Dr. Hill's theories, perhaps because she's so angry about the way the men in black are treating her and her team. Still, Tony manages to get around her lack of cooperation and she does save him from his mother more than once.

The misdirection going on is considerably more than adequate. I also appreciated what we got to see of the mass murderer's thoughts before he joined that despicable 'club'. I wonder if he would have done it had he known how overly optimistic he was about the effect his deed would have on his family.

Did I like this book? Another Dr. Hill mystery is already been requested from my library.

By the way, 'Sufficient unto the day,' something Tony Hill is thinking late in the book, is short for 'Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof', which is from the King James translation of the Gospel of Matthew, chapter 6, verse 34.

Also, I can't agree with the opening line of Beneath the Bleeding, because I read more than one article debunking it when I was a medical librarian. ( )
  JalenV | Apr 13, 2015 |
This is the fifth book from the Tony Hill/Carol Jordan serie. It's a very gripping British crime mystery. Tony Hill who is a profiler, has been attacked and seriously wounded by an inmate of the mental institution. After the surgery he has to stay in the hospital and he felt rather bored of his immobility.
In the meantime different mysteries are taking place. On the one hand famous rich people are dieing of being poisoned and on the other hand a bomb detonated in the local football stadium. Carol Jordan and her team have got their hands full and a special team has taken them away the bombing case. Carol and her team won't give away the case so easily and therefore have to investigate it secretly. In the meantime Tony tries to help from the hospital bed and is very often doing his own thing because Carol won't believe in his guts feeling. But without Tony's doggedness Carol couldn't have solved all mysteries.
It was a fast-paced reading and it let me guess until the very last page. ( )
  Ameise1 | Feb 1, 2014 |
Great, great book. Two mysteries solved by Hill and Jordan. Poisonings and bomb explosion at soccer stadium. ( )
  velopunk | Jan 2, 2014 |
I loved this. It was like reading a very good, and long version of a CSI episode. A famous footballer falls dead in the hospital and it turns out to be poison. This leads the detectives and the profiler of the local UK police force on a merry chase as more dead bodies show up. I'll have to read more of these now. ( )
  stuart10er | Nov 5, 2013 |
Very readable even though the plot is implausible. ( )
  livrecache | Jul 20, 2012 |

Val McDermidprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Doyle, GerardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sheckels, JenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Beneath the bleeding hands we feel

The sharp compassion of the healer's art

From Four Quartets: 'East Coker'

T S Eliot
This one is for the members of the wedding, who helped to create the best of memories.
The phases of the moon have an inexplicable but incontrovertible effect on the mentally ill.

McDermid captures the essence of literary crime fiction in Beneath the Bleeding. The mysterious, lingering demise of a healthy sports figure is but the beginning of a drama that includes a series of suspicious deaths, a possible terrorist act, the inner workings of Detective Chief Inspector Carol Jordan's Major Incidents Team and the profiling of Dr. Tony Hill, a psychologist. That there is a certain personal tension between Jordan and Hill only adds to the sophistication of the plot. In any case, the English love their football; when Robbie Bishop is felled and succumbs days later, scrutiny turns immediately to an early resolution in the face of heightened public interest.

Meanwhile, at Bradfield Moor Secure Hospital, a crafty inmate avoids his meds, veering into a religious-inspired rampage, chasing Dr. Hill with an axe. The result is a sidelined profiler who spends the majority of the Bishop case in serious pain, his work ethic driving Dr. Hill from a morphine fugue to active participation in a very unusual investigation. McDermid combines an outrageous series of crimes in a contemporary environment- a poisoning, suspicious activities and a random act of violence- the combination causing the now-predictable outcry of terrorism. As the Counter Terrorism Command rolls into action, taking over DCI Jordan's department, the nuances of the cases are lost in the fury.

Detective and mystery stories. The terrifying new psychological thriller featuring Tony Hill, criminal profiler and hero of TV's Wire in the Blood.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,569,064 books! | Top bar: Always visible