The Places In Between by Rory Stewart

The Places In Between (original 2006; edition 2005)

by Rory Stewart

1,672None4,277 (3.84)64
Member:infjsarah
Title:The Places In Between
Authors:Rory Stewart
Info:Picador (2005), Edition: 2, Paperback, 324 pages
Rating:**
Tags:borrowed, reading group, non-fiction, travel, walking, Afghanistan, 2000s, dog

The Places In Between by Rory Stewart (2006)

2006 (8) 2007 (11) adventure (28) Afghanistan (272) Asia (14) audiobook (7) autobiography (11) biography (13) Central Asia (14) culture (8) current affairs (10) current events (12) dogs (9) history (49) Islam (23) journey (12) memoir (74) Middle East (44) non-fiction (180) politics (18) read (17) Taliban (10) to-read (35) travel (237) travel literature (10) travel writing (17) travelogue (18) walking (39) war (11) wishlist (9)
    The Road to Oxiana by Robert Byron (rakerman)
    rakerman: Both The Road to Oxiana and The Places In Between are very personal explorations of the people and the places encountered. Oxiana covers travels in Persia and Afghanistan in 1933, while The Places In Between is a walk across Afghanistan in 2002. Both writers are keen observers of a region little-known to most of the west.… (more)
    A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush by Eric Newby (Othemts)
    Full Tilt: Ireland to India with a Bicycle by Dervla Murphy (Othemts)
    The Roads to Sata by Alan Booth (Othemts)
    Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace ... One School at a Time by Greg Mortenson (cransell)
    cransell: Mortenson's story heads in a different direction than Stewart's, but the are both memoirs dealing with the same region and the affect their experiences had on them.

English (57)  Dutch (3)  All languages (60)
Listened to audiobook narrated by Rory Stewart - he seemed bored - I was also bored, forced myself to see it through to the end. Interesting topic, interesting tidbits but overall a huge disappointment. ( )
  Dlouria | Jul 27, 2013 |
The author walked across Afghanistan! Yes, all the way on foot. The book covers his travels from Herat to Kabul over the mountains in the winter of 2001, after the US invasion. Rather foolhardy/dangerous, but I enjoyed hearing about his meetings with the Afghans of different ethnic groups. A Afghan mastiff became his companion, which added a heartfelt touch.

Completed April 13, 2013 ( )
1 vote chrissie3 | Apr 13, 2013 |
I did not expect to enjoy this book. But it was chosen by our reading group and I felt obliged to read it. It was beautiful. I loved the vivid descriptions of the landscape and the people as well as the fascinating historical back ground.
  pengvini | Mar 30, 2013 |
One wonders why Stewart took off across Afghanistan by foot, in winter. Yes, he says that he was walking across that swath of Asia and had to go back to fill in the part he missed, but never really says what the walk meant to him. Knowing its meaning might have mediated this and other readers' sentiment that Stewart's journey was conducted in a foolhardy manner. I think walking is sufficient unto itself, and requires no particular explanation. However, Stewart's timing and season put him at risk, and perhaps others as well.

That said, I can't agree with some of the criticisms I've read that all boil down to accusations of cultural improficiency. What's missing from Stewart's narrative that might have helped is more explanation of how the Taliban period and war many have changed some of the local customs. His attempts to accomplish this wind up sounding like querulous comparisons with other countries.

This is a narrative by a young person. I would like to see a comparable trek and story by Stewart 20 years later. In addition, it is a man's narrative. Rita Golden Gelman notwithstanding, in much of the world, a woman walks alone at peril. If she arrives unmolested or unarrested at a village, where will she stay? Not the headman's place, which would be inappropriate. Not at the mosque, or the wat--that is where men stay the night. While I don't fault Stewart for not articulating his privilege to complete such a journey, what I most take from this book is how little autonomy women have in much of the world. ( )
  OshoOsho | Mar 30, 2013 |
This was a reading group book. It should have been interesting but wasn't. I skipped large chunks of the history bits. And the whole walk to next village, manage not to be shot, walk to next village and repeat got old really quickly.
I didn't like the author and I didn't like the people he met. Could have been so much better.
The only positive point I would give is that he does manage to convey the total alienness of this world and that the West continues to meddle in things it does not understand.
Why are we any different from the 50 previous regimes who have tried to invade and change Afghanistan?
Maybe we should take the lessons of history to our arrogance. ( )
1 vote infjsarah | Jan 20, 2013 |

In January 2002 Rory Stewart walked across Afghanistan-surviving by his wits, his knowledge of Persian dialects and Muslim customs, and the kindness of strangers. By day he passed through mountains covered in nine feet of snow, hamlets burned and emptied by the Taliban, and communities thriving amid the remains of medieval civilizations. By night he slept on villagers' floors, shared their meals, and listened to their stories of the recent and ancient past. Along the way Stewart met heroes and rogues, tribal elders and teenage soldiers, Taliban commanders and foreign-aid workers. He was also adopted by an unexpected companion-a retired fighting mastiff he named Babur in honor of Afghanistan's first Mughal emperor, in whose footsteps the pair was following.

Through these encounters-by turns touching, con-founding, surprising, and funny-Stewart makes tangible the forces of tradition, ideology, and allegiance that shape life in the map's countless places in between.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:39 -0400)

In January 2002 Rory Stewart walked across Afghanistan -- surviving by his wits, his knowledge of Persian dialects and Muslim customs, and the kindness of strangers. By day he passed through mountains covered in nine feet of snow, hamlets burned and emptied by the Taliban, and communities thriving amid the remains of medieval civilizations. By night he slept on villagers' floors, shared their meals, and listened to their stories of the recent and ancient past. Along the way he met heroes and rogues, tribal elders and teenage soldiers, Taliban commanders and foreign-aid workers. He was also adopted by an unexpected companion--a retired fighting mastiff he named Babur in honor of Afghanistan's first Mughal emperor, in whose footsteps the pair was following. Through these encounters -- by turns touching, confounding, surprising, and funny -- Stewart makes tangible the forces of tradition, ideology, and allegiance that shape life in the map's countless places in between.--From publisher description.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,459,265 books! | Top bar: Always visible