The War with Grandpa by Robert Kimmel Smith

The War with Grandpa (edition 2010)

by Robert Kimmel Smith (Author), Nicholas Kelly (Reader), Robert Kimmel Smith (Author)

Member:gjchauvin504
Title:The War with Grandpa
Authors:Robert Kimmel Smith (Author)
Other authors:Nicholas Kelly (Reader), Robert Kimmel Smith (Author)
Info:Brilliance Audio on CD Unabridged Lib Ed (2010), Edition: Library, Audio CD
Collections:Non Fiction, Chapter Books
Rating:*****
Tags:War, Grandpa

The War with Grandpa by Robert Kimmel Smith

I highly recommend you buy this book. The reason I found out about this book is because of my teacher. It was so funny. My favorite part was when Peter stole his grandpas dentures and his watch. My favorite paragraph was when he said he was waiting for the other shoe to drop. I think when Peter declared war and called himself "The Secret Warrior", was so cool. Another reason I like this book is it was so funny; like when Grandpa Jack went and mixed up all of Peter's cloths, which made him late for school. It was so funny that his pants were inside out his book's were in different suitcases. ( )
  gjchauvin504 | Nov 15, 2012 |
This book is only moderately well written (it's supposed to be written by a ten year old, so that's acceptable, even if it is annoying) and it's bit dated.
My fifth graders hated it last year; it was the least popular book the LA class did.

SPOILER ALERT
I like that Peter learns that war is a bad thing as is peer pressure, but, unfortunately, the BIG lesson he learned (and the audience learns) was that if you whine enough and do enough horrible things, you'll always get your way. The ending of this REALLY angered me.
END SPOILER ALERT ( )
  benuathanasia | May 27, 2012 |
Peter had to give up his room. Although he loved his grandfather, he couldn't understand why he had to be the only family member to make a sacrifice so that his Grandpa could live with his family. Peter decided to declare war to regain his room--a war he could not win. His grandfather almost seemed to enjoy Peter's warring tactics and the opportunity to teach his grandson that war is not the answer. Grandpa used love, understanding and compromise to win the war. ( )
  dgadkins88 | Nov 24, 2009 |
A young man is given the assignment to write a story. Beginning with the explanation of how he came to write this story the truth of the happenings is made clear. This book is an excellent book for young readers. Faced with challenges Peter learns to accept what life hands him with grace and comoposure. ( )
  cathylouder | Mar 20, 2009 |

Has as a student's study guide

Upset that he has to give up the room he loves to his grandfather, Pete decides to declare war in an attempt to get it back. What ensues is a hilarious play-by-play as each plays tricks on the another.

Peter thinks the only way he can reclaim his room is by declaring war on his grandfather.

Dorothy Canfield Fisher Award, William Allen White Award, Tennessee Children's Choice Book Award, Parents' Choice Award, An IRA-CBC Children's Choice, Mark Twain Award, Young Hoosier Award, South Carolina Children's Book Award, Pacific Northwest Library Association Young Reader's Choice Award, Georgia Children's Book Award.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:04 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,325,599 books! | Top bar: Always visible