Time Enough for Drums by Ann Rinaldi

Time Enough for Drums (1986)

by Ann Rinaldi

As YA books go, this is pretty good. The Emerson family of Trenton NJ are supporters of the patriots and are seeking liberty from King George III and England. Throughout the war there is death, grief, lack of resources, and enormous growth by Jemima, the young daughter. This is a great book for YAs to learn of the basics of the Revolutionary War. ( )
  brainella | Mar 1, 2013 |
Time Enough For Drums is a fairly predictable book from the back cover. You know Jem is going to fall for a Tory. It's not the destination that's important though, it's the journey. This book was lovely and a quaint historical fiction book which would be appropriate for the younger teen set. ( )
  booksandwine | Oct 7, 2010 |
This is a comparatively brief book for the time and events it covers. However, it does not feel as though the story is rushed, glossed over or shallow. In fact the characters are well developed, and their subsequent growth is understandable and clear. The slowly developed romance between Jemima Emerson and John Reid is likely the highlight of the story for its readers. In addition to its more lighthearted appeal, the novel does present a great deal of history and successfully conveys feelings about the events of the time. The conflicts within a family, as its members support different sides is particularly thought provoking
  ECraine | Jun 30, 2010 |
Summary: Jemima doesn't like her Tory tutor, but there's more to him than she knows.

Evaluation: This is one of my favorite historical fiction books. Rinaldi takes a historical time and lets her readers experience it through the eyes of a character who seems very real. She thinks and acts like a normal teenager. The only difference is the time period. And it's very well done. ( )
  crimson_idealist | Mar 26, 2010 |
one of my first novels that could be classified as historical fiction. i thought i was SOOOO grown up because i was reading "romance". this is a great book for anyone but i read it at a perfect time in my life when i was too old for the american girls but too young for very many other historical fiction novels. it is one of my favorite ya books & will i will probably always have a copy. ( )
  bellameggie | Dec 8, 2008 |
For my son, Ron, a twentieth-century Patriot who opened my eyes to my country's history
The cold wind stung my face and brought tears to my eyes when I turned into it to look at my brother Dan, who stood next to me on the hill.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440228506, Mass Market Paperback)

Sixteen-year-old Jem struggles to maintain the status quo at home in Trenton, New Jersey, when the family men join the war for independence.

There are signs of rebellion in the Emerson household several years before the actual American Revolution hits in 1776! Brought up in a relatively liberal household, Jemima Emerson is quite a challenge for her tutor, John Reid, who is known as a Tory with strong ties to England. How could Jem's parents be friends with a man who opposes American freedom? Jem longs for freedom on every level, in the home and her homeland--and John represents the forces that restrict her.

Jem and her family soon find themselves fighting for freedom in whatever ways they can in the Revolutionary War. Before long, Jem discovers that there is much more to Mr. Reid than she ever imagined. Her feelings about him change when Jem realizes that John shares her love of freedom--and will risk his life to defend it.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:29 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Jem and her servant struggle to keep things going at home in Trenton, New Jersey, when the family men join the war for independence from the British king. During the time of the Revolutionary War, 16-year-old Jem struggles to maintain the status quo at home in Trenton, New Jersey, when the family men join the war for independence. Yet at home she is swept off her feet by her tutor, who has strong ties to England.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,610,135 books! | Top bar: Always visible