Time Enough for Drums by Ann Rinaldi

Time Enough for Drums (1986)

by Ann Rinaldi

I originally read Time Enough for Drums fifteen years a go. I was going through an American Revolution phase, discovered this book at the library and fell in love. I must have read it five or six times in the span of three years. Then, I got busy with other books and genres and this book went to the back of my mind. However, every once in a while, I'd think about it again, but no longer could remember the title or author. Finally, I took to Google and Goodreads and lucked out in rediscovering this book.

Time Enough for Drums takes place at the beginning of the American Revolution. Jem, our young narrator, is a staunch Patriot and a free spirit. (At times, she reminds me of Anne Shirley). Her brother, Dan, joins the Continental Army while her parents and herself support them from their home city. She has a tutor, John Reid, a known Tory whom she despises because of his strict nature and allegiance to the King of England. As time progresses, she discovers some shocking truths about John he is really an American spy! that changes the way she sees him and her feelings towards him. Although their relationship is certainly a major part of the plot, it is by no means the crux of this story. That belongs to the trials and tribulations Jem and her family face as a result of the Revolution.

Nostalgia may play a part in it, but I found this most current time reading it as wonderful as all the previous ones. ( )
  Kristymk18 | Nov 12, 2015 |
I read this book every year at least one, if has always been a favorite of mine. I first found it in my middle school teachers library and ...."forgot" to give it back. I cannot wait to read this book to my kids one day! ( )
  khaibarton | Oct 22, 2014 |
As YA books go, this is pretty good. The Emerson family of Trenton NJ are supporters of the patriots and are seeking liberty from King George III and England. Throughout the war there is death, grief, lack of resources, and enormous growth by Jemima, the young daughter. This is a great book for YAs to learn of the basics of the Revolutionary War. ( )
  brainella | Mar 1, 2013 |
Time Enough For Drums is a fairly predictable book from the back cover. You know Jem is going to fall for a Tory. It's not the destination that's important though, it's the journey. This book was lovely and a quaint historical fiction book which would be appropriate for the younger teen set. ( )
  booksandwine | Oct 7, 2010 |
This is a comparatively brief book for the time and events it covers. However, it does not feel as though the story is rushed, glossed over or shallow. In fact the characters are well developed, and their subsequent growth is understandable and clear. The slowly developed romance between Jemima Emerson and John Reid is likely the highlight of the story for its readers. In addition to its more lighthearted appeal, the novel does present a great deal of history and successfully conveys feelings about the events of the time. The conflicts within a family, as its members support different sides is particularly thought provoking
  ECraine | Jun 30, 2010 |
For my son, Ron, a twentieth-century Patriot who opened my eyes to my country's history
The cold wind stung my face and brought tears to my eyes when I turned into it to look at my brother Dan, who stood next to me on the hill.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440228506, Mass Market Paperback)

Sixteen-year-old Jem struggles to maintain the status quo at home in Trenton, New Jersey, when the family men join the war for independence.

There are signs of rebellion in the Emerson household several years before the actual American Revolution hits in 1776! Brought up in a relatively liberal household, Jemima Emerson is quite a challenge for her tutor, John Reid, who is known as a Tory with strong ties to England. How could Jem's parents be friends with a man who opposes American freedom? Jem longs for freedom on every level, in the home and her homeland--and John represents the forces that restrict her.

Jem and her family soon find themselves fighting for freedom in whatever ways they can in the Revolutionary War. Before long, Jem discovers that there is much more to Mr. Reid than she ever imagined. Her feelings about him change when Jem realizes that John shares her love of freedom--and will risk his life to defend it.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:11 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Jem and her servant struggle to keep things going at home in Trenton, New Jersey, when the family men join the war for independence from the British king. During the time of the Revolutionary War, 16-year-old Jem struggles to maintain the status quo at home in Trenton, New Jersey, when the family men join the war for independence. Yet at home she is swept off her feet by her tutor, who has strong ties to England.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,853,065 books! | Top bar: Always visible